Washington Redskins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washington Redskins

Wondering what everybodys thoughts were about the current trend to try and change the name of the football team, I think the owner should change the name to the Washington Engines!!!!!!!!!!!!

They could keep the name and change their logo. A redskin Potato would be a good logo since they have been mashed up by every other NFL team this past year. With little help from RG3-13 i don't see them getting out of the cellar again this year.
    I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

it's been that name ever since I can remember(45 years) and probably much longer. too bad in our overly-sensitive litigious society this is even being considered..
      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

It gets better - in Houston around June 24, a man was told to take his American Flag down from his balcony because it could offend others living in the complex.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Houst...264504471.html

Our society is taking things way too far.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hotshot View Post
          It gets better - in Houston around June 24, a man was told to take his American Flag down from his balcony because it could offend others living in the complex.
          I had that happen to me and a roomate in college here in Texas 15 years ago. They were worried that it would drive the "foreign" population away from the complex - we were told that that no flag could be hung outside....so we displayed the flag from inside on the window!

sandm - you are right - these days you can't say or do anything without a bunch of people getting their feeling hurt. Then, turn around and try to force their lifestyle down your throat.

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
            it's been that name ever since I can remember(45 years) and probably much longer. too bad in our overly-sensitive litigious society this is even being considered..
            I dont think what you said could be stated any better!

x2 x3 x4 ...
            2011 Tigé RZ4
            www.re-viveupholstery.com

Comment

To me the topic and the fact that government has gotten involved seems as if it is part of a shell game. Something to draw everyones interest to and possibly away from several more important things....no different than the baseball steroid deal. The media is doing a good job of keeping stories like this to the front of things to keep us from inquiring about the things that are really important.

I think, let them keep the name and the logo. If it was somethign that had been truly offensive this would have been a continuing issue for years. Now, if the Native tribes did have issue 45+ year ago and continuing then maybe they should give consideration to a different team name logo. If it is a fairly new issue...tough SH*T - you should have spoken up earlier had it truly been important.
              "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Good thing they didnt think of slavery the same way - should've spoken sooner too bad. C'mon that is ridiculous and they have been bringing this up as offensive for a long time. That is why St Johns university is now the redstorm instead of redmen, Syracuse is just the orange instead of orangemen. North Dakota is no longer the fighting Sioux. Florida State sought and recieved permission from the seminole indian tribe of florida to contiue using their name even though it is the name of tribe not an offensive slur.

Comment

Originally posted by whiteflash watersports View Post
                  Good thing they didnt think of slavery the same way - should've spoken sooner too bad. C'mon that is ridiculous and they have been bringing this up as offensive for a long time. That is why St Johns university is now the redstorm instead of redmen, Syracuse is just the orange instead of orangemen. North Dakota is no longer the fighting Sioux. Florida State sought and recieved permission from the seminole indian tribe of florida to contiue using their name even though it is the name of tribe not an offensive slur.
                  I don't think comparison to slavery is exactly a great analogy, but I do see your point. I didn't know if they had been bringing this up for a period of time or not, as stated, if they had a change should be made...probably a while ago. Sorry if any offense was taken
                  "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Even though I hate the Washington redskins (dallas cowboys fan). I think it's ridiculous to change the name. I mean is it offensive to cowboys everywhere that Dallas uses cowboys? Cuz if u think about it the cowboys have been down right embarrassing for 16 years. Does this mean they should change the name so embarrassment isn't associated with real cowboys?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisBarnes05-12-84 View Post
                      Even though I hate the Washington redskins (dallas cowboys fan). I think it's ridiculous to change the name. I mean is it offensive to cowboys everywhere that Dallas uses cowboys? Cuz if u think about it the cowboys have been down right embarrassing for 16 years. Does this mean they should change the name so embarrassment isn't associated with real cowboys?
                      yes.. yes it does. they should change to the Dallas Cowgirls now. lol
                      2011 Tigé RZ4
                      www.re-viveupholstery.com

Comment

http://www.tpnn.com/2014/06/19/will-...cot-is-racist/

It is BS and as Dandy stated previously the only reason that the Libs got involved is to have the mainstream media help take some of the heat off them for all of their latest failures. There are dozens of High Schools across the country that use the Redskins name. Some are Native American schools and some are public. Indiana and Indianapolis could also be taken as slurs and should be forced to change their names.....
                        "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Originally posted by WakerideN View Post
                          yes.. yes it does. they should change to the Dallas Cowgirls now. lol
                          Haha. Smarta$$.

Comment

Lib checking in. Current news is the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) canceled six Redskins trademarks because they were disparaging to Native Americans (a legal battle going since 1992). Trademark protection is given by the government and can be taken away by the government. Interestingly, there is no Constitutional basis for Trademarks as there is for copyright or patents (but those can be taken away too). The USPTO did not "force" the Redskins to change their name -- they just took away the organization's ability to sue for third party use. It is a government given right -- if the organization does not meet the current legal standards for that protection, then they do not deserve the protection.

Btw, just because "Libs" don't often chime in on these threads should not be taken as an indicator that people with a different opinion are on these boards.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                              Lib checking in. Current news is the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) canceled six Redskins trademarks because they were disparaging to Native Americans (a legal battle going since 1992). Trademark protection is given by the government and can be taken away by the government. Interestingly, there is no Constitutional basis for Trademarks as there is for copyright or patents (but those can be taken away too). The USPTO did not "force" the Redskins to change their name -- they just took away the organization's ability to sue for third party use. It is a government given right -- if the organization does not meet the current legal standards for that protection, then they do not deserve the protection.

Btw, just because "Libs" don't often chime in on these threads should not be taken as an indicator that people with a different opinion are on these boards.
                              And that is why this is such a great country! we can say what is on our minds when we want to. Well unless you own an NBA franchise.....
                              And the Patent office has no power to force the Redskins to change their name or they would have.... Another waste of taxpayer money that will end up with the exact same outcome as when they tried the same thing on 2003. And not one single public complaint was received by the board before they ruled. iwndr who had them do it? Hope it was not in one of Lois Lerner's Emails
                              "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Working...
                              X