No announcement yet.

Calling camera gurus-need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's nice to have a real camera. Once you start figuring out how to use it, its not scary and quite handy. If you have something particular you are shooting, you can cheat by using different settings. If you have a baby on the way, this will be very important. I see people taking pictures of babies with their point and shoots with the flash on all the time. I just wanna wring their necks. No flash baby eyes!

That being said, you should also get a real flash. It makes a huge improvement in your indoor photos. I'm not sure how good the Cannon stock flash is (Nikon guy here) but, I'm guessing it can't be much cooler than the latest Nikon stock flash. There's a very good reason professional photogs use a good flash.

I very, very rarely use the video on my Nikon. I'm just not a video guy I guess. I do like the idea of being able to put different lenses on for different scenarios though.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiveflat View Post
      I agree. I'll be the first to admit my videos look amateur and that's because I am. That is only the second video I've taken with my DSLR and I'm learning the proper settings. Once I get setting dialed, there will not be much comparison.
      Fiveflat, I am only talking about comparing picture quality, your editing skills are awesome. I also think that was some seriously awesome wakeboarding! Nice job! I think a zoom lens would be your next step in capturing more awesome footage!

Comment

I'm talking about the picture quality as well. Once I get everything memorized as far as iso, speed, etc. You'll definitely see a difference in picture quality. You should be able to count the five little whiskers on each of those kids chin's with a DSLR video.
        One of the nice things about filming while out at approx. 50mm is that I can zoom with my editing software. I did some of that with my previous edit and it actually makes it look like I had two different cameras on him.
        Waiting for another good one!

Comment

DSLR vs P&S

Originally posted by Fiveflat View Post
          I agree. I'll be the first to admit my videos look amateur and that's because I am. That is only the second video I've taken with my DSLR and I'm learning the proper settings. Once I get setting dialed, there will not be much comparison.
          The other issue with a DSLR over a P&S has to do with the zoom. On a P&S the zoom is done by an electric motor. On a DSLR zoom is accomplished by using a ring on the lens. This requires grabbing the lens and rotating. A movement that will sometimes shake or move the camera.

Yes, the video by a DSLR can be as good as a dedicated video camera as the sensors are basically the same. Some high end video cameras use three sensors with dedicated to a single color by using using beam splitters. DSLRS use combined sensors with itty bitty colored lenses over the sensors. After all, a cell in a sensor cannot detect color, only light. Colored lenses are needed to get the light level of each color.

But the zoom is still an issue and will be until powered zoom lenses are available for DSLR. At which point you have a video camera that just happens to take still images.

For most people the DSLR works fine as does the P&S. One final advantage. If I lose my cheap P&S over the side of the boat I will be upset, but will not weep in misery as I would if I lost my DSLR.
          Ray Thompson
          2005 22V

Comment

I hope my post isn't seen as a threadcrap. DSLR cameras are totally rad, and can do way way more than even the most sophisticated point and shoot.

But where you are filming wakeboarding, at a fixed distance from the boat (focusing really isn't an issue) and lots of side to side movement, a lightweight point and shoot with a high quality sensor may produce better results as a practical matter.

I'd really like to play with a panasonic lumix fz150 (significant upgrade from my FZ35.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Well, I got it $300. Double checking, it is a EOS Rebel T3 EOS 1100D. He paid $549.99 at a camera shop, I checked Fry's last night and they have it for $499.99 and said they occasionaly put it on sale for $379.99. Sorry, in the middle I said two "weeks" old it is more like two "months" old if it matters for model type mentioned previously? It is the "kit" EF-S 18-55 IS II Kit. Comes with one lens 18-55. Now, I need a case and a zoom lens.
              Friends don't let friends POWERTURN

Comment

Sell it and get the T3i

Comment

Originally posted by Dave S View Post
                  Comes with one lens 18-55. Now, I need a case and a zoom lens.
                  Don't skimp on the case. The zoom I am not so sure about. What are you going to zoom in? Try the 18-55 first before deciding on a zoom. Unless you spend big bucks you loose several f-stops at the longest zoom ranges. That means slower shutter speeds or higher ISO (more noise). Basically try before you decide to buy.

I do indeed think you got a good deal. Two months old is probably very few shutter activations and that is what counts.
                  Ray Thompson
                  2005 22V

Comment

This is great news Dave, like another mentioned, get a good case and for me, buy a 35-250mm lens. It's does close up and perfect for lens for behind the boat action.

Comment

Ray, Nobody,

when the guy took the camera on our boat the other week, he shot me with the 18-55 lens while surfing and the next lens (35-250?) size for zoom when boarding and all pics came out great. I would most likely only get that lens in addition and no more.

When you say low shutter activation, now I am curious what is an expected amount of shutter activations? I my last sony cybershot had over 10,000 pics taken from it over 5 years. I would hope I get as good or longer out of this one. What is the life expectency?
                      Friends don't let friends POWERTURN

Comment

Originally posted by Dave S View Post
                        my last sony cybershot had over 10,000 pics taken from it over 5 years. I would hope I get as good or longer out of this one. What is the life expectency?
                        Low shutter count is less than 5K as most DSLR cameras, especially pro models, will get about 100K+ activations on the shutter. As for 10K activations it is all perspective. I do about 20K activations per year per camera and I have two cameras. I photograph sports and it is not uncommon to take 500 images per game, primarily football and basketball.

The shutter count can be checked with a series of button pushes. Look on the web for your particular model. You should be able to get significantly more than 50K on your camera.
                        Ray Thompson
                        2005 22V

Comment

Working...
                        X