Honda Civic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda Civic

Looking at getting an older Honda Civic to drive back and forth to work. Does anyone know anything about these cars? Anything to look out for? I'm looking for a high mileage one for under $3000. Know of any for sale? Any other cars to look for at this price that will get me 30+ mpg?

They are pretty buletproof. one thing to make sure of is they have proof that the timing belt has been done. If you dont know I would do it just to avoid a major repair if it breaks.Timing belt= $150 bent valves=$1500.

Comment

Originally posted by kko View Post
      They are pretty buletproof. one thing to make sure of is they have proof that the timing belt has been done. If you dont know I would do it just to avoid a major repair if it breaks.Timing belt= $150 bent valves=$1500.
      Is it a pain in the butt to get to.

Comment

Originally posted by kko View Post
        X2 on the above. I have driven sold and driven Honda's for 26 years. My extended family has owned a Honda dealership since 1974.

The only other thing to look for other then the timing belt is the CV joints. Two thing to look for. One, are the rubber boots cracked, if they are they need replacing. Drive the car in a tight circle, both ways and listen for a clicking noise. If you hear clicking the CV joints need replacing. CV joints will run you about 250.00 bucks plus labour for each side. Oh yeah all front wheel drives have these so no matter what vehicle you look at check these out.

Other then that I had a 1985 civic that I put 450000 KM and still sold it for 2500.00 bucks. Currently my wife drives a 07 Ridgeline, I drive a 2010 Civic, my daughter has a 03 Civic and we all have Honda quads.

Good luck in your purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by ajholt7 View Post
          Is it a pain in the butt to get to.
          You will need some mechanical skill and a good set of tools. Also need a manual to make sure you get htings lined up like they should be. One of the tougher things about the job is sometimes the crank shaft pulley bolt is soooooooo friggin tight it is tough to get off. Have had to use a 3/4 impact wrench to get it off. Not common on cars every other car a 1/2 impact gun is plenty but these hondas can b e a bitch.....I would give it a 3 out of 5 on the wrench scale for DIY project. Like any other project you have never done take your time and have the right info to do the job right and you will be fine.

Comment

Any certain years to target?

Comment

well your budget is really going to dictate that. If you could get a 95 or newer I would be happy. I would think you could find a 95-96 for that price for sure a 94 wich isnt a bad thing. good luck

Comment

Seems that I'm finding more from 92 and 93. Anything to know about those?

Comment

I have seen up to 99-00 for that kind a of money. When you are looking at this age you get what you get. I would be prepared to spend a little money on some repairs.

Comment

nothing really wrong with 92-93 per say ......but like giers said the older it is the more likley your going to have to put some money into repairs.. I mean your buying a used car so its always a gamble. Keep looking you will find something that will work.

Comment

Gonna go look at this one tomorrow. Said he will take $2000
                      http://evansville.craigslist.org/cto/2502931282.html

Comment

Buy it. That car should fetch 2500-3500 all day.

Comment

He also said it has the engine swapped. Went from the d15 to the d16.
                          Last edited by ajholt7; 07-25-2011, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Any civic forums I can go to for research?

Comment

That thing was a pile of crap. It ran good but the rest of the car was falling apart. Interior was pretty much gutted. I got him down to $1500 but still couldn't pull the trigger. I'm going tomorrow to look at this one.
                              http://evansville.craigslist.org/ctd/2453275486.html

Comment

Working...
                              X