Surfing the Malibu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surfing the Malibu

Does anyone know of a good weighting set up on a 23' Malibu for surfing? I've now surfed behind the V and D drive of this hull and they both suck. This to me seems that I'm missing something. The fist time was a demo of the 23' D drive. It did not have the factory balleast but, it did have the wedge deployed and 5 adults. With the salesman (who does a lot of surfing behind his own Malibu) driving, I could barely throw in the rope and hang onto the pocket. I chalked it up to no ballast. This last Sunday I got the opportunity to ride behind my boss's pretty new LSV 23 with all the bells and wistles. We loaded up all the ballast and droped the wedge and got after it. A soon as I was up I knew this was going to be lame. I was able to let go and ride, even snuck in a Hang 5 but, how can my 22i with one sack in the trunk and three people have a wake at least twice as big (really more like 3 times as big), with a steep, long, clean, curling face, than Malibu's flagship wake boat. There has got to be something I'm missing. My boss has never surfed before so he really has no idea about a set up. I'm a Tige guy so my knowledge is apparently wothless on a Malibu.

Oh yeah, we did surf back to camp behind the Tige so I managed to get some real surfing done with the same exact set up we rode the slalom course with. I don't have the auto ballast in yet so, instead we compromised and did all disciplines with the same set up. Surf, skate, board, and ski. I was still able to rip all six @ 15' off
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Have you tried http://www.wakesiderides.com/? It is the old Malibu Boat Owmners (MBO) site. They also have a Tige section if you want to post your ride there. It is loaded with Malibu info., I'll bet you'll get an answer there.
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Oh yeah! I'm stupid. Actually, I should just send my boss to that site. Let him figure it out. I think he's gonna go get a surfboard pretty soon anyways. I was just so happy to get back in my Tige. When you get into somebody's "state of the art" boat and it doesn't come close to what you expect, it's amazing how you can fall in love with your "old school" ride all over again.

Comment

Who says we're old school? I kinda like to think we're new school
        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Your just old. I'm sorry, was that mean. Just a joke. It was funny from this end at least. Old school being no factory ballast, no perfect pass, flat bottom tow boat.

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.I made junior member. This could be the greatest day of my life.
          Last edited by NICKYPOO; 08-18-2005, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I'm not old as long as I'm a junior member
            Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Working...
            X