simplifying new batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

simplifying new batteries

if i put 2 i29's on starboard side after slightly relocating taps pump can i tie + to + and feed first stereo lug with alternator feeding + side of bank,and- to - and tie to engine or other battery- . with 3 bank on board connected to house,cranking and 2 bank for home charging and no acr ,this would be most economical

Originally posted by shawn74 View Post
    if i put 2 i29's on starboard side after slightly relocating taps pump can i tie + to + and feed first stereo lug with alternator feeding + side of bank,and- to - and tie to engine or other battery- . with 3 bank on board connected to house,cranking and 2 bank for home charging and no acr ,this would be most economical
    I'd throw this in the tech overview.
    Life is good...
    Happy Wife Happy Life

Comment

If your goal with the additional group-29's is to extend your engine off play time, then compromising on the battery bank will just leave you disappointed and with possible equipment failure.

I would maybe suggest scaling back the stereo until the budget will allow for a battery bank that will properly support it.

I think I understand what you are asking, here some thoughts:

*I see a potential for the main cranking battery to be paralleled to the stereo bank. This would allow for the stereo to draw down the cranking.

* Wiring the 2 group-29's in parallel with the existing house battery would create on large battery bank. Doing this without a means of isolating these batteries from the alternator would be like hitting the alt with a sledge hammer each time the engine is started after a heavy discharge.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

agreed, i was told the acr wont prevent the alt from charging ,just stops acr isolated batteries from discharging other batteries connected to same alt. feed , short of a manual perko is there somthing similar to the stock diode with 3 outlets or am i still lost as this is a first for me ,completely agree with miss allocated budget as (the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low prices ) heard that once

Comment

Originally posted by shawn74 View Post
          agreed, i was told the acr wont prevent the alt from charging ,just stops acr isolated batteries from discharging other batteries connected to same alt. feed , short of a manual perko is there somthing similar to the stock diode with 3 outlets or am i still lost as this is a first for me ,completely agree with miss allocated budget as (the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low prices ) heard that once
          Yes, the ACR is voltage sensitive. As soon as it 'sees' the alternator charging, it closes so all the batteries connected to it get charged. When the voltage drops, the ACR opens. its nothing more then a heavy-duty relay controlled by a voltage sensing module.

I think the cheapest way to do what you need is to keep the factory EIDB system intact and keep the stereo wired to the current "House" battery. Wire your 2 new group-29's in parallel with the "House", BUT, have an on/off switch in between the factory "house" and group-29 bank. This will allow you to isolate the 2 big batteries from the alt when you are ready to fire up the engine after a long day rocking the tunes. With the stereo still on the factory "house", you will still have the stereo powered even with the two group-29's isolated. Not ideal as I dont like to parallel different sized batteries.

Your 3-bank will be wired as such: Bank-1 = main cranking, bank-2 = "house" and bank-3 = group-29's. When charging, again, isolate the pair of group-29's.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
          X