Used dirt bike suggestions/advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used dirt bike suggestions/advice

Hey guys I was hoping I could get some input from my fellow Tigé owners. I am a newbie when it comes to MX and wanted to get some input on used dirt bikes. At the moment I am looking for a used 2005-2010 Yamaha YZ 250. I do like KTMs but they seem a little expensive. I am open to really any brand that is a 250. Style of riding, like I said before, I have a very limited experience so I don't exactly know, assuming it would be trail for now. I would like to hear your experience(s) with other brands and what to look out for or avoid.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Matt, I'm not a cycle expert but rode for a number of years. The guys that I rode with wouldn't let me buy a 2 stroke and I ended up happy with that advise. We did trail riding and rode everything from 350s to 650s. As the better Honda and Yamaha 400s came out, everyone went with those- powerful but not too heavy. The 2 strokes were noisey, smelly, and more maintenance, while the 4 strokes were bullit proof. I would be more nervous of a used 2 stroke. Top ends are always being rebuilt.

A lot will depend on the type of riding you do. Our favorite was to do 2 day rides that would cover 250 or more miles. If you are more interested in going in circles or getting huge air then stick with the 2 strokes. Just my opinion from how we rode.

Comment

MATT i have a honda crf450x. it is a enduro 4 stroke motorcycle.they have softer suspension and less radical motor[won't stall as easy] the honda crf250xis a awesome bike also.the enduro style bike is an excellent trail bike and a good learning bike.the 450 might be a bit much if you are a beginner.hondas are bulletproof.just change the oil and keep filter clean and have valve adjustments done.thats if you don't know how to adjust the shim and bucket type. all the new bikes have them.honda also makes a crf250f that is less powerful and less suspension a pure trail bike.hope this helps
      I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

Matt,
        I do ride a bit and have owned Honda CRF's 250 & 450, Yamaha YZ 250F & 450F, and a KX450F. They are all great bikes and each has it's little issues. The Honda's are a solid bike, but do have issues with valve clearance unless the valves were swapped out for stainless. If the factory titanium valves are still in the motor it will require a check or shimming about every 75 hours depending on use. Outside the valve shimming issue, put gas in the CRF, change the oil/filter and air filter and ride it forever.

The earlier model 4-stroke Yamaha's get a little hard to start after they are warm, and there is a "process" for starting these thumpers, once you get that down you will be good to go.

The KX450 I have is a 2010 and is fuel injected. The responsiveness of the bike is crazy. So far there isn't much I have to complain about with this bike.

The advice I have for bikes is the same as it is for boats. Get out there are ride it and see what fits your riding style and body frame the best. The Honda's seem to make me feel a little more compact when riding, the Yamaha stretches me out a little more which I like.

If you are riding tight single track trails, you may consider a lighter more maneuverable bike. If you ride the track, larger trails, or open areas go with the larger CC bike. I live by the moto, "you can never have to much power!"

Happy Hunting!

Comment

Matt, I raced amateur motocross a little over 25 years and would still be racing if not for a back injury. While the majority of my time was spent on a 2 stroke, I eventually caved to riding a 4 stroke in my last couple of years since gov't regulations are pretty much causing manufactures to phase out the 2 strokes. I was a die hard 2 stroke guy who just didn't believe the 4 strokes were that much better. Add to that the idea of trying to work on one was intimidating. But I got to tell you, 4 strokes are much easier to ride requiring much less shifting and clutch work. Since you said you had limited experience, coupled with the fact that you may be more woods and trail riding, I think you would appreciate the 4 stroke more. If you are dead set on a 2 stroke, let me say that I don't really agree with the assessment that you have to constantly rebuild the top ends. Older 2 strokes of the 1970's and 80's would require rebuilds more often, but since the bikes produced over the last 15 or 20 years have primarily been water cooled and use a ceramic coated bore, this is less of a factor unless you are a pro level rider who pushes it to the limit. But as with anything, maintenance is a must, most notably making sure the air filter is clean. Another thing about 2 strokes is that they are much easier to diagnose and work on, if you plan to do the work yourself. As far as one brand over another, I started out on Yamaha's in my mini cycle years and ended up finishing on Suzuki's; while riding about every other brand in between. I believe they are all pretty close together. But like someone else already said, try out a couple different bikes and see what suits you.

Comment

Hey Matt I myself have ridden for years and years and my wife and kids have been riding for 6 years also. We have gone through different bikes as the kids grew and the wife got better. Son and daughter need bigger bike, they take ours and we get new ones. Good deal. Anyways it depends alot on your size and if you are going to be riding trails or motocross. We have ridden every brand out there but now ride mostly KTMs. Our 2 stroke rules might be a little different also. I did have a yamaha 4 stroke 450f that is made for the trails. I am 6 feet 225lbs in good shape and that bike could drain you when ridden all day especially in tight trails. I went to a 2 stroke KTM 300xc made for the trails and the difference was unbeleivable. The Ktm is so much easier to ride due to weight and where it is located. It will kill the yamaha 450 in every way.We ride mostly trails but do ride some motocross. Every manufacturer makes great bikes though.You can PM me if you have some specific questions or on the post either way.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses guys. I am taking these suggestions and advice as I research more. I have thought about a 450 however, I keep hearing/reading that choice wouldn't be good for two reasons.

1. Too much power for a newbie like me.
              2. Not good for trail riding/woods (At this point I wont rule out the track but I have to start somewhere)

I noticed there are also 300 (Heres a KTM 300) and 530s, what is that? Also what does the F stand for? Example, 250F and 450F?

Also I am 5'11" and 196, if that matters.
              Last edited by Matt Garcia; 02-17-2011, 03:42 PM.

Comment

generally the f stand for four stroke.
                -

Comment

Matt,
                  A buddy of mine has a KTM 300 and absolutely loves it! He was riding and still has his Honda CRF450, but it just sits in the garage now. He spends time on both the trails/woods and at the track. You can't go wrong with that KTM, I personally think it will be a good bike to get started with and will be something you will be able to keep as your riding experience grows.

Comment

I ride the KTM 300xc and like I said it is way easier and lighter than a 450 4 stroke. It is made for the woods but can also go on the track. Unbeleivable bike. Another KTM that is awesome is the KTM 250 xc. My brother races it and he is close to your size. XC stands for cross country (woods, trails). F stands for 4 stroke as someone else said. The 2 KTMs I mentioned are both 2 strokes. Both can easily ride on motocross tracks. The suspension wont be made for the track but for a newer rider it wont really make that much of a difference as you probably wont be doing any double or triple jumps.A easy power equation is the 450 four stroke bikes race against the 250 two stroke bikes. Its just a different type of power. The KTMs are 2 strokes but they are made for the woods. The 300 has been voted bike of the year the last 3 by dirt bike magazine. Best bike I have owned and Ive had a lot. The 250 ktm is also awesome. No I dont work for KTM
                    Last edited by Bibbs; 02-17-2011, 09:29 PM. Reason: adding info

Comment

the 250f is a lower horsepower and less suspension height bike. compared to the 250x. it's an enduro bike which has softer suspension and less horsepower than the 250r which is the motocross track version.

Comment

Thanks guys!

I am starting to really like those KTMs. Maybe because my boat and TigeOwners.com both have orange/black/white, coincidence? HA.

Bibbs, out of the KTMs Im starting to narrow them down to the 250SX or XC, 300XC and maybe the 300XCW? Powerparts for the KTM seems very cool too. I dont plan on doing any huge jumps for now and will probably do mostly trail and woods riding so I am hoping those are the right models.

Also, any advantage to 5 or 6 gears? Totall noob!

Comment

The bikes you are looking at are the right ones. The 250 sx is a motocross bike though. SX=supercross. If doing mostly woods stick with the xc or xc-w. The difference between the xc and xc w are
                          xc-little stiffer suspension and gear ratio isnt as wide
                          xc w-little softer suspension and the gear ratio is a little wider. w stands for wide ratio. I ride a xc w. The difference in the gear ratio and suspension you probably wont notice that much of a difference at your weight.My bike is a 5 speed. The sixth speed would just make a few of the gears a little closer and 6th would be a little like a overdrive. Might just have to change gears more often.My 300 will cruise around 70 in 5th. Again dont think that will make much of a difference. Ive seen your boat and it matches the KTM perfectly. Once my wife got her brand new KTM (105 xc) her new favorite color is orange. LOL Maybe I could use that as a excuse to buy a orange RZR. another LOL

Comment

I'm partial to Honda; ride a 2006 CRF250x. Rode as a kid, just started back riding trail - from intermediate stuff to black diamond. The 250 has plenty of power with an aluminum frame. The "x" version isn't all that different from the "r" version, many of the same components on both. The "x" version comes with electric start (which you'll love if you ride trails), lights, battery, etc. and has wide-ratio, low-mid power for climbing. The "r" version is the track version of the 250 w/kick start and more top-end power. Both are great bikes and real easy to ride. Valves were an issue on early models (2004-2006), but this has been corrected in the 2007 engine.

Comment

have you found a dirt bike yet matt?

Comment

Working...
                              X