Would Love Some TV Advice...PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would Love Some TV Advice...PLEASE!

I don't own a flat screen TV. The latest TV I own is a 36in Sony Trinitron tube TV weighing in at a whopping 463lbs. I've never even had HD.

I've been saving for a TV and I finally got the green light from the wifey. I've been shopping TVs for a long time and I'm now to the point where I'm in electronic overload. My basic knowledge of the technology just isn't enough. So here is where I'm at and I'm hoping somebody here knows enough about TVs to make a solid recommendation. The selections below are what I've narrowed it down to, but I'm open to suggestions.

For Sure:
    - Want a 47-55in, prefer a 55in
    - Looking at LEDs.
    - Don't care about 3D and don't envision using it much, but it seems this is the way of the future so I guess I should embrace and plan ahead.

Options:

Samsung UN55C8000XF 55in LED
    • 3D
    • 1080P
    • 8,000,000:1 contrast ratio
    • 240hz Refresh
    • Edge Lit with local dimming
    • Apps
    • WiFi ready with adapter
    • Standard remote
    • Known for Quality; decent rating on CNET
    • Roughly $2,800

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/...XFXZA-features
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=9798538
    http://reviews.cnet.com/tvs/samsung-...?tag=mncol;lst

Vizio XVT3D554SV 55in
    • 3D
    • 1080P
    • 10,000,000:1 contrast ratio
    • 480hz refresh rate
    • Full Array with smart dimming - 120 zones. From what I read, this is a better feature than an edge lit panel.
    • Apps
    • WiFi
    • Remote with Slide out QWERTY keyboard
    • Vizio not necessarily known for quality, but this new XVT line is getting really good reviews. CNET's editor's choice was a very similiar model this year (non 3D version as 3Ds not reviewed).
    • $2,000

http://www.vizio.com/led-lcd-hdtvs/xvt3d554sv.html
    http://reviews.cnet.com/tvs/vizio-xv...?tag=mncol;lst

As a side note, I learned that the 47in Vizio XVT 3D tv has more dimming zones than the 55in with 160 zones. This seems like an advantage, but you definitely give up size so i'm not sure it is worth it.

Anybody have personal experience with either of these? Because they are sold at different places locally, it is super hard to get a good comparison. Additionally, Best Buy will not run anything but the manufacture provided Samsung loop (which of course will look fantastic ), so I can't even see this TV with TV/movie. I'm just told to go look at the smaller version or the 7K series, which has a lower res.

TIA.
    JT
    Last edited by Jeff T; 01-13-2011, 04:04 AM.

Great Deal...
    http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-55WX80...4895941&sr=8-9
    Common Sense is not so Common
    Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Did you look at plasma? 55" plasma is cheaper than led LCD and has a much better picture. 3d technology is changing to glasses free 3d tv in the next two years so good job not worrying about that feature. I have a THX certified panasonic plasma and I love it. Screen burn in is not an issue anymore and the newer plasmas use just a little more power than LCD TVs. If your tv room is normal, not a wall of glass, you shouldn't have any issues with screen reflections.

Cnet.com is an excellent resource for tv reviews and ratings.
      2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
      2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

I bought the sony bravia 46" and am really happy with the tv.
        -
        You will want to check into the lighting in your room. Prior to your choice on TV.
        -

Comment

I've always liked the picture on the Samsungs better than the Vizeo. Better than my Bravia even.
          You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Love my 65" Mitzubishi DLP. Cheaper than LCD and Plasma, but cant hang it on the wall. Love it.

Comment

X2 on the Sony Bravia - we have 2 in the house - picture is bright and sharp. Great for boating slide shows too!!
              Zeb

Comment

Yea guys thanks. The reason I wanted to go with the LED is because my main living area is very bright. I have windows pretty much all around (except directly across from) so I know that until the sun goes down, it is going to be bright. We could be moving in the next year and it could change, but I can't wait that long to buy. I do like plasmas but i just felt like it was risky due to the lighting situation.

Comment

I have big windows in my living room with my plasma and it's not a problem, I got lucky with the angle of the screen relative to sitting positions, and I out up some nice window shades to help. For my primary sports and movie tv, I gotta have a plasma. I am getting a cheap LCD for the kids play room though, looking at samsung, panasonic, sharp and LG.

Comment

Let us know what you got and how happy you are with it.

Comment

I thought plasma was the way to go if you had a bright room?

I'm in the same boat as Jeff, I have a 32" Sony XBR tube that I paid $1800 for back in 2002 but it has HD and has an awesome picture. Sure would like to get a new bigger flat screen though but just can't justify it yet. As far as Samsung quality goes, I have a 25" Samsung that I bought back in 1994 that gets used every day and I don't foresee that thing dying anytime soon and it's never had 1 issue.

Comment

Samsung.....hands down the best TV for the $$$$

Comment

I've been leaning more towards Panasonic myself.

Comment

I'ts only a 46" but seems cheap enough?

Sony KDL46HX800 46 inch Class LED Backlight 3D HDTV. Designed to deliver a gorgeous picture in Full HD 1080p, the KDL46HX800 high-definition television is outfitted with advanced technologies such as a Dynamic Edge LED backlight for sharp, vibrant images and Motionflow PRO 240Hz technology for crisp, fluid motion in fast-action scenes.

Add to cart for $1999.99 - $800 off w/Coupon INO17494 = $1199.99 + Free Shipping

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...0UVpRITp8XzovA
                            Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
                              I thought plasma was the way to go if you had a bright room?

I'm in the same boat as Jeff, I have a 32" Sony XBR tube that I paid $1800 for back in 2002 but it has HD and has an awesome picture. Sure would like to get a new bigger flat screen though but just can't justify it yet. As far as Samsung quality goes, I have a 25" Samsung that I bought back in 1994 that gets used every day and I don't foresee that thing dying anytime soon and it's never had 1 issue.
                              Plasma is not recommended for a bright room because the screen is typically glass and reflects the ambient light in the darker sections of the picture. The LCD screens are usually a matte finish and do not reflect ambient light sources in the room. Some new plasmas come with an anti-reflective film on the glass to reduce the intensity of the reflections but it's still not a matte screen and you might get some reflections of windows or lamps on the darker sections of the screen. You can mitigate some of the reflections by placing the tv in locations to minimize the sources of light such as placing your tv on or near the walls with windows. If the light source is behind the tv it can't reflect off the glass. The actual brightness of the tv image is about the same as an LCD tv though, so if you don't have anything to reflect off the screen the plasma will be a much better picture, especially for sports and games with fast moving objects.

Comment

Working...
                              X