Don't Play Chicken with a barge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't Play Chicken with a barge

At least the barge "deck hands" did a good job and kept the boat from going under it.
    Attached Files

The boat may have been stalled and could not move.

We have barges on the TN river (Watts Bar) that are typically 8 to 10 barges in a tow and I have always given them a wide berth. If you get close they blast the tug horn and it is loud. The waverunners like to scurry around behind the barges because of the wake.
    Ray Thompson
    2005 22V

Comment

Whats the story behind that image?

Comment

Not a whole lot of detail on this picture where I found it (http://www.Riverbills.com), other that it happened this past weekend at the Alton pool on the Mississippi River.

I agree with Ray that most likely, the runabout was unpowered (broken down, out of gas - who knows), and it simply drifted in the direction of the barge.

On that website, there's also mention that it takes some barges about 1 mile to come to a full stop. I would imagine that if that's true, it would be the bigger barges going downstream.

This is not something you see every day here on the mighty Mississippi. I was impressed that the barge crew was actually trained and equipped to keep the boat from going under the barge.

Comment

Working...
        X