A CALL OUT TO PHOENIX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A CALL OUT TO PHOENIX

You guys had the only other air race in the country down there (I think it was in the Mesa area). What happened to it? I just saw the footage of a crash from that race so I thought some of you guys might know something. I know it was a few years back, but all I know is that it just stopped. Reno is back to being the only place in the world with closed coarse pylon racing for planes.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

The race was held at a old Air Force base called Williams. I was at the race when the plane crashed, It was about 8 years ago. I think they stoped racing when they turned the base into a international airport.
    From what I remember the pilot bailed out after loosing power. The race was part of a air show.
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."

Comment

Yeah that guy did bail out. He was real lucky. Generally those things end up pretty bad. I've seen more than one. The sad thing about that one was that we all lost the Super Corsair. It was the only example of the particular plane that was raced, and when one goes down all of us who follow air racing feel we have lost a family member. These race planes are so rare that when you lose one you may never see another like it again. Thanks though for the info. I figured they just ran out of money. It's not exactly a profitable racket. None of them break even. What did you think of them? It looked like they ran pretty high up (500 ft. or so). Out here I've got a spot I go out to where they run about 100 ft. of the deck directly over you. 4000 hp @ 500 mph 100 ft. over your head is something you can't even explain. Just have to be there. I noticed your a mechanic. Ever heard of Apache Salvage?

Comment

Good news! Tucson Air Races anounced. March 10-12 2006. I'll be there.

Comment

Weird. I live in Tucson and work in aviation - I didn't know anything about this. Looking forward to it.
          Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

Comment

Reeeally. I have a mission for you, should you decide to except it. It would be benificial to both of us if you went out to Ryan Field and scoped out the course and found a spot that is close to the flight path of the races, easy to get to and not illegal. I know this is a tall order but, If you have ever stood underneath a 4000 HP race plane doing 500 MPH @ 100' off the deck you'll know what I'm talking about.

Help me Obi Won, you're my only hope.

If you really feel like being cool you can take some digitals of the area and e-mail them to me........friend.

You can't tell I'm just a little excited can you?

Comment

It's a pretty wide open area out there. I do know of a dirt road that runs NS that is to the west of the airport. It might be a good way to get closer to the action - depending on where they set up the course. I'll check around and let you know.

Comment

I am a bit suprised that the races are at Ryan Field and not at Pima air park? If they are at Ryan my wife works for the airport authority and knows everybody who is anybody to get as close as you want. I will see what she knows about it.
                Ray

Comment

I am a bit suprised that the races are at Ryan Field and not at Pima air park? If they are at Ryan my wife works for the airport authority and knows everybody who is anybody to get as close as you want. I will see what she knows about it.
                  Ray

Comment

Sorry for the double post here is what she said...

"That's when Aviation Days at Ryan is scheduled. Depends on if the promoter comes through. The organizer really wants to do it at Ryan. That's the pylon racing. Wouldn't that be awesome?" Deb

Let me know where you got your info at... Ryan seems like it would be a bit small for a somewhat big draw venue like this but anything could be done if the promoter puts it together.
                    Ray

Comment

I googled and found this: http://www.aafo.com/racing/2005/tucson/tucson.pdf

Comment

Dont make your vacation plans yet. Looks like the promoter might have jumped the gun and did not have his legal ducks in a row...
                        It could still happen but when lawyers get involved nothing happens fast, remember that they work by the hour...
                        Ray

Comment

Roger, diverting to holding pattern. If it does happen, the thing to keep in mind is that it will be a first year event. The promoter did a fantastic job on the Tunica races last year so his plans look very promising. The pilots are very excited to work with him. Being a first year event though, I highly doubt it will be the size of Reno. The sheer amount of planing and prep for an all out air race is absurd. If there is one at all, it is a miracle. I heard possibly only jet and sport classes. While any air racing is worth checking out, the unlimiteds are the main reason us die hards go EVERY year. The sport class is really the future of air racing though and my second favorite class. With 3 completely different planes battling it out for top honors, it is really the only class that has the potential to go to a national type circuit. The unlimiteds are just too expensive and too volitile to run a "full scedule". They can barely run 1 race a year.

Comment

Working...
                          X