NCAR '10 Official Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NCAR '10 Official Thread

Just a couple shots from last Sunday. The Rare Bear, 2 weeks from Sunday Gold.
    Attached Files
    You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Love the pics nickypoo, used to work an FBO as a fueler. had some warbirds there...P-38, Hawker Hurricane, 2 seat P-51, keep the pics coming

Comment

What an Awesome Machine! Hard to believe that it started out as ole F8F Bearcat! lol

Comment

Originally posted by rickd3508 View Post
        What an Awesome Machine! Hard to believe that it started out as ole F8F Bearcat! lol
        That particular one started out as an abandoned wreck in a cornfield back in '69. About the only thing of any use was the fuselage and a wing panel. Lyle Shelton, who passed away this year, built that thing from nothing. Rod Lewis bought it from him a few years ago and he has the cubic $$$ to make that thing faster than ever. It really is beautiful inside and out.

Comment

So, had a great week until Sunday. The wind blew bad enough that the Unlimited Gold final got canceled. I appreciate the decision but, I'm still kind of bummed. We had 4 500+mph Unlimiteds ready to go at it. Anyways, I have a few pics to share so far. My camera was on the fritz so I was shooting manual focus. Made for a lot of junk photos but I did manage to get a few decent ones. Enjoy.
          Attached Files

Comment

This was straight up scary.

Comment

This was from the last race of the week. Thankfully he was just fine and climbed out and waved to the crowd.

Comment

Found a few more that are decent.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
                  This was from the last race of the week. Thankfully he was just fine and climbed out and waved to the crowd.
                  Did you take this video? Was it an engine out landing too or just a regular landing gone bad? This video is way more scary than the first one where the guy just lost a prop and flew a real nice ELP. Looks like the plane either landed on a taxiway or locked up one of the brakes just after touchdown.
                  2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                  2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
                    Did you take this video? Was it an engine out landing too or just a regular landing gone bad? This video is way more scary than the first one where the guy just lost a prop and flew a real nice ELP. Looks like the plane either landed on a taxiway or locked up one of the brakes just after touchdown.
                    Not my video. Deadstick landing with 30 knot crosswind gusting to 45 in a 3/4 scale Thunder Mustang. That whole thing was ugly from the second he lost the motor until he climbed out. He made several bad decisions on his way down. It was a hairy situation at best but, it could have gone much better. We were listening to him on the radio and we all got real quite when he very matter of factly said, "I'm dead."
                    Last edited by NICKYPOO; 10-14-2010, 11:02 PM.

Comment

A little info on the airport:

Elevation*AMSL5,046 ft / 1,539 m

Coordinates39°40′02″N119°52′34″

Runways
                      Direction Length Surface
                      ft m
                      14/32 9,000 2,743 Asphalt
                      8/26 7,608 2,319 Asphalt

Both landings are on the same runway, 14. The second vid just shows what can happen when you miss the first 8,900 ft of it.
                      Last edited by NICKYPOO; 10-14-2010, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah, if none of you have heard the first vid, crank it up.

Comment

Working...
                        X