Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealrship Sales Model

Dom and 91terminator,

Explain to me and the other regular consumers why the local dealer system is good for consumers?

In the thread titled "Which RZ2 to buy" 91 stated:

"The sad thing is that all the consumers think that its ok to buy out of territory leftovers to get "deals". But then when there local dealer is not around or in existence anymore for service and warranty because they purchased out of territory leftovers, then they all get a bit angry. But who is to blame? Not Tige Not the dealers."

Why can't consumers look out of territory for leftovers? Why can't dealers buy/sell or trade the leftovers to dealers who could sell them or who have interested buyers such as in the thread above? The fair thing for the local dealer would be to make the sale for the out of territory boat and charge the customer the shipping charges to move the boat from the dealer who couldn't sell the boat to the dealer who can. Especially in this economy I would think that dealers would try to do anything to get people to buy boats from them. I think Tige and the dealers are to blame for not allowing these type of sales to happen. Of course I have no idea what these boats really cost and you will probably try to say that the margins are so thin that it won't work..... Try to explain it in real terms that anyone can understand.

Dom also said "I hope this gives a better understanding, we are not trying to become rich just , just want to be the best dealer and sell ther best product , remeber you are not buying a boat, your buying a dealership."

Nothing wrong with trying to get rich, however, there is NOTHING on the Tige website that says your buying a dealership. Sorry but I bought a boat. I really didn't care what dealer I bought the boat from and why should I? If the boat company I bought the boat from include a warranty I expect that warranty to be fulfilled, no matter who is doing the work. For me the perfect dealer experience is staying out of the dealership. If and when my boat breaks I want my dealers service department to fix it ASAP and get me back out on the water. I don't want to keep calling my dealer to get updates on the problems, I want them to call ME. I don't think that's too much to ask, this has been basic customer expectations for years. Unlike most consumers, I am willing to pay for good customer service. That is why I expect MUCH better service from a Tige dealer than a Bayliner dealer, I should get what I pay for. The customer is not here to serve the dealer, the dealer exists to serve the customer and represent the boat company. If I am wrong please say so.
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

I have to say I agree with everything he just said. The dealer experience has been a terrible one for me as well. It prompted me to look anywhere BUT a dealer to buy my boat. Seems to me that they have turned things around to the point of acting like they are doing you a favor just to talk to you, then they are VERY territorial. Then when you need parts or service, if you didn't buy your boat from them they treat you like your not supposed to even be there. Sad but true.

Whatever happened to "We're glad your here, come on in". Thats the way I have run my business for the last 32 years and it has paid me well.
    Biggest lake addict on the planet

Comment

EWOK i can,t speak to your local dealer but my local dealer didn't want to make a deal i thought was fair. i researched and found his cost and offered him a reasonable profit deal on a boat i was ordering.he didn't want to do the deal so i mentioned 5 other dealer i was willing to drive to to make a deal. he quickly decided to do my deal as it was a bonus deal he had no money tied up in and no trade in to resell. i know those are special circumstances but i feel my local dealer is reasonable. i can't speak for all dealers. but in the name recognition part of the puzzle. TIGE is not a well known brand even though in my opinion they can stack up with the best boats out there.
      I do all my own stunt work. hey ya'll watch dis.

Comment

My disclaimer: As I said in the "which RZ2 to buy" thread, I did have a good experience with my dealer when I bought my boat. I have bought and sold used boats, cars and bought cars new from dealers and buying my RZ2 was the easiest and most enjoyable experience of all of them. I just got lucky and happened to stumble upon a boat I thought was a fair price and made what I thought was a good deal. I was just surprised to read about all the territory discussions and how some dealers did not seem to be helpful in some of the members threads. It just got me thinking there has to be a better way for EVERYONE, for Tige, for the customer and for the dealerships to sell and service the boats. I think dealers should work together to get Tige boats sold so we don't have dealers competing and putting each other out of business.

I just read all of my posts and realized I'm starting to sound like a politician and I know what I'm saying is a huge undertaking even if all parties even wanted to change the paradigm. My intent is not to piss off Dom and 91 and have them stop giving excellent advice on this site, just brainstorming a way to make things better, like the "what do you want in a perfect boat" thread. I'm going to calm down now and enjoy my boat.

Comment

Agreed.....Dealerships (car and boat) have painted themselves into a corner in terms of my ability to trust them. If we the consumers continue to support them in this manner/model then we get what we deserve. Which in this case are wide price ranges for nearly identical models and vindictive "you didn't buy from me so I 'm not going to honor warrantee service on your boat" mentality.

Frankly, I think we (by we I mean the consumers) would be a lot better off if the dealers were eliminated from the equation and the manufacturers just certified higher quality local boat repair places to do the warrantee repairs.

Just out of curiosity, how has the warrantee service been for folks who have moved? I mean, say you bought it in Texas, then moved 3 months later to Florida. Anybody have trouble getting warrantee work done in that scenario? Or is it just the guys who drive out of territory and then bring the boat back?

Comment

Axis pricing No Secret!

This may not be exactly on topic...Surprise! You can price an Axis on-line including options, then email for a best price. I think this is what most consumers are looking for before walking into a dealers showroom uneducated.
            http://www.wakenskate.com/A20-AXIS-W...20-pricing.htm

Comment

That is exactly the right direction, I can't believe Tige didn't do this first, or at least price out the R20 as the entry level boat.

Comment

I think the best possible senerio would be for the manufactureres to put a bottom line fixed price that nobody could go below and that would solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by dom w. forte View Post
                  I think the best possible senerio would be for the manufactureres to put a bottom line fixed price that nobody could go below and that would solve the problem.
                  I agree that would fix many of the problems surrounding the mystery of the price. Hopefully that would solve some of the territory disputes as well but some sort of mechanism for dealers to share sales for out of territory purchases would hopefully keep more dealers in business and more local shops for service.

Comment

they do the fixed prices with wakeboards and bindings. they they say how low the september sales can be and then in january you can unload last years stuff for as low as you are willing to go.i think thats all consumers want is to know they aren't paying more than their neighbors for the same products.i agree it would be best for tige if they had online pricing for all models and options and the only difference would be shipping.then the consumer really wouldn't save enough to justify a drive to save a few hundred dollars.i personally would feel better knowing tige had a suggested retail price that was public.when you hide things it is hard for the consumer to trust you.just my 2 cents.

Comment

Another thing that is different about boats vs cars though is there isn't a tige dealer on every corner, so the dealers have some "room" to play with. I think us as consumers get used to having what we want where we want, and on boats you sometimes get the dealers that just really don't care. I also think tige has been known to yank dealerships for unreasonable dealers.

I know when I buy my new cars/boats I will go to where the prices is lowest and then come back to the dealer that is close. If they are not willing to drop to a "close" price then I save the money and know I won't get the fastest service, but for me it's worth the savings.
                      Originally posted by G-MONEY
                      It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

all i'm saying is if tige had their suggested list prices on the web people could go into a deal knowing what full profit was and judge wether or not they got the price they wanted from there. it would also help the dealers they could say thats the price look on line and check for yourself also helps with sticker shock situations,customer knows before hand how much boat costs.

Comment

Originally posted by robert theisen View Post
                          all i'm saying is if tige had their suggested list prices on the web people could go into a deal knowing what full profit was and judge wether or not they got the price they wanted from there. it would also help the dealers they could say thats the price look on line and check for yourself also helps with sticker shock situations,customer knows before hand how much boat costs.
                          Knowing the MSRP is in know way an indication of what a dealers gross or net profit is. Too many variables such as overhead (fixed and non-fixed costs), staff costs, volume discounts (or lack of them), etc. Dealers know what they pay and what the MSRP is and based on their market, cost of doing biz, what % they need to hold.
                          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

^^^^ i completely understand i sold cars before i was in tool sales. i am speaking from a customer perspective.if you know msrp then you know wether or not dealer has jacked up the price. you can also find out his cost with a little research. i can use that to help me negotiate. not everyone can do that because they don't understand cost of doing business. they think dealer can operate on lower profit margin just for them as i'm sure you already know.i'm just trying to make a suggestion that would give average buyer peace of mind and equal starting point with other customers. i am in no way saying system is broken just in need of some tweaking to make it run smoother.

Comment

If you register, Supra has a pricing tool on their website - this is informative to the consumer and gives Supra contact information on potential buyers. Is the pricing the same for all regions???? I don't know....
                              http://www.supraboats.com/configure.php

Comment

Working...
                              X