Ford PSD 6.7 Real world MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford PSD 6.7 Real world MPG

I know some here have probably been considering the 0-11 F250 w/ the 6.7L. Hell w/ the mileage reports even I've honestly been considering one. Now admittedly I'm a major Chevy guy, after 2 bad experiences w/ Fords, but I'm always open. That being said, my dad is a MAJOR Ford guy. To give you an example my mother wanted a new truck, and told him she wanted to ditch her sequoia and get an Escalade. He tried everything to tell her no and tell her she wanted a KR Expediton. She said no, I don't like them, I want an Escalade. So one day he disappeared for a few hours apparently and comes back with a new Expedition and has now taken 3 months of bitching, telling her all along that she'll grow to like it. HAHA. So yes he's a True Blue guy. So the point of that is he's been dying to get out of his 12mpg 09' F250 and get an 0-11' F250 w/ the Scorpion.... especially after the mileage reports.

We have a customer that owns a dealership that wants me in one so he's recently given us 2 seperate trucks to test at different times. First truck he gave us, King Ranch F250 4x4... in town 14.8 mpg. HWY driving at 75 mph and a 300 mile trip... 16.7 mpg. On the same trip my 07 lifted duramax w/ 35's got 18.9 mpg (admittedly my truck is highly modded and not a trace of emissions crap). Everything Hand Calc'd. But both Lie-O-Meter's read the same as the hand calc's. So I figured after all astonishing reports online something surely was wrong. So I checked the tire pressure and it was right where it should be. Something else I discovered.... the truck had 3.55 gears instead of 3.73's.... WTF???? on a Diesel????? So after further inspection EVERY F250 now comes standard w/ 3.55, part of the reason for the mileage claims. Hope they are telling guys this that are buying these to haul stuff. Well luckily our customer had his personal F250 that he special ordered w/ 3.73's and we took it for a trip and a good test. City mileage - 13.2 mpg, and HWY mpg 15.6.

We loaded the second truck up w/ 40- 50lb bags of whole corn and 10- 50lb bags of special creep pellets. We did the same in my Duramax. That's 2500 lbs of grain in the bed. We both started a 199 mile trip and set our cruises at 70. I averaged 16.2 mpg on that trip, and the 0-11 F250 w/ 3.73's averaged 13.8.

So in short here's a recap of the mileage

0-11 King Ranch F250 6.7L Scorpion Diesel - 3.55 Gears (STANDARD gearing)

City - 14.8

HWY - 16.7

0-11 King Ranch F250 6.7L Scorpion Diesel - 3.73 Gears (Special Order)

City - 13.2 mpg

HWY - 15.6 mpg

Loaded with 2500lbs - 13.8

So take it for it's worth. That's 2 separate trucks that produced pretty similar mileage. I found it amazing to discover that a diesel truck has 3.55 gearing STANDARD. But hey, guess every MPG counts these days. Obviously nothing near the claims of 22+ MPG's that you find all over the net.

***Note: neither of these trucks are broke in, but I don't expect more than a 1 mpg MAYBEEEEE 2 mpg jump max****

I did find 2 or 3 other posters on the Ford boards that posted up similar mileage. They were quickly ran off though. So if your looking at those trucks, take the mileage claims with a grain of salt.

Hopefully I'll be testing a 0-11 Duramax soon. I'll let you guys know how that goes as well.
    Last edited by Tanner; 07-15-2010, 05:35 AM.
    Being a major OU fan and a staunch conservative.... I am perpetually vexed w/ the conundrum of who to hate more. Obama or the Univ. of Saxet.

Nice write up.
    15 Escalade ESV-Black
    08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

I have a 2011 F350 CC Long Bed with the 6.7. Bought it a month ago. It just turned 3,000 miles.

Highway mileage: 16 (varying from 15.5 to 18.2)

City mileage: 13 (varying from 12.3 to 13.9)

On the highway I drive between 75 and 82, and in town I drive heavy.

I had a 2008 F350 CC Long bed with the 6.4. Unmodded it ran at 13 highway and 10 city. After a Spartan tuner and DPF work, the 6.4 ran at 15 city and 20 highway.

The mileage improvement over the 6.4 is enough for many (including me) to upgrade. That being said, the new F350 has many more features that make it a great truck, the new six speed transmission, locking rear differential, heated fuel return line, water to air CAC, fewer and shorter length regens, better fuel usage tracking via onboard computer, upgraded suspension, upgraded interior, etc., that trading to this truck was worth doing.

If you work out the transmission ratios with the 3.55, I think that you will get the same pull as the old transmission with the 3.73 diff. (this was covered really well at powerstroke.org).

This truck with the 3.55 has more pulling power than my 6.4 had with the 3.73, I think that the new motor/tranny combination just gets more power to the ground.

So far, the 2011 has been a great ride.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! I've been pretty curious to see what the real world was with these things. The Ford also has pretty tall tires to go along with that 3.55 gear ratio. What's the RPM at 75mph? 1,600? 1,800?

Comment

I'll tell you on Tuesday. Pops is buying, truck is getting prepped, and on it's way to Line-X. Get it Tuesday.

Glad to hear another w/ the same experience Rock. Even if yours is a 350 vs. a 250. Still fairly similar!
          Being a major OU fan and a staunch conservative.... I am perpetually vexed w/ the conundrum of who to hate more. Obama or the Univ. of Saxet.

Comment

RPM at 75 is 1,800.

Comment

Just upgraded my truck from a 93 dodge dually with the 5.9L cummins to a 02 ford excursion witht he 7.3L power stroke...

Towing with the old dodge I got 15-16MPG... The "new" truck 13 I was kinda disappointed... But I did tow a bit faster then I would with the dodge and it has a lot more power ( Ford has been moded)

Comment

the dodge and an inline 6 will never beat the fords in mpg.
                Originally posted by G-MONEY
                It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Domsz06 View Post
                  the dodge and an inline 6 will never beat the fords in mpg.
                  Well apparently it did!

Comment

The hell with MPG's any one runnning a PSD or Cummings needs to do them selves a favor and go to www.dinofuelalternatives.com Best stuff on the market I am soon to be running this.
                    FairTax.org

Comment

Originally posted by 91Terminator View Post
                      The hell with MPG's any one runnning a PSD or Cummings needs to do them selves a favor and go to www.dinofuelalternatives.com Best stuff on the market I am soon to be running this.
                      My buddy did the Veggiestroke kit on his '03 F250 and had to stop using it because of all the problems he had and he had a lot of $$$ in that thing.

Back to the new Ford and Chevy - that is a crazy amount of power from the factory, should I really complain about the mileage? LOL! The stock power is a lot but I would settle for a little less if they could get me 15mpg towing the boat and 20+ hwy @ 75mph on real tires (245 and 265's don't count as REAL tires to me).

Comment

Timmy! - Have you test driven the 2011 Ford?

Comment

My Expedition gets better mileage than that and pulls the boat just fine loaded up with 8 passengers.
                          Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

Originally posted by RockRig View Post
                            Timmy! - Have you test driven the 2011 Ford?
                            Not yet but I want to. The #'s look really impressive!
                            http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-test?click=pp

The only reason I have an '07.5 Chevy is because there weren't any '08 Ford's with the options that I wanted when I went to buy the truck. I used to be a 100% Chevy guy but now I have a '95 Corvette, an '06 Mustang and the '07.5 Chevy. I think Ford is really on target right now with their stuff.
                            Last edited by Timmy!; 07-15-2010, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Ya, the truck is exactly what Ford needed to boost sales.

And Ford is not a government subsidized manufacturer. I have had Chevy's and Dodge in the past, but the Ford's out pull them and have lasted longer for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X