HD Pocket Camcorder Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HD Pocket Camcorder Recommendations?

We're looking to get a HD capable pocket camcorder for shooting on the lake. We've started looking at the Flip cameras - we like their price point and the fact that you can get a waterproof case for around $30. We also have been considering the Kodak PlaySport, which is waterproof up to 3m and accepts sd cards (nice when you don't have a pc on the boat). Has anyone had any experience with these? Image stabilization? Battery life? Capturing riders at 70-80' from the boat? Recommendations for other cameras to consider? We don't want something super high end - just takes decent video for a budget price. Having the waterproof case/option seems like a must.

Also any software recommendations for posting to the web, maybe adding music/titles/captions and doing some simple scene splicing to get rid of gaps, etc.

We have the Flip HD and waterproof case.

Pros:
    Simple & easy to use (anyone can use it in a few seconds of effort)
    Waterproof case works well (have tested in salt & fresh water)
    Small enough to slip in a pocket and always have handy
    Flip software is intuitive and easy to save and/or upload videos
    Battery life is decent (~1.5 hours on full charge)

Cons:
    Small to hold and therefore, can produce some shaky video
    No image stabilization

I don't have any hands on with the Kodak PlaySport but believe some others on this site are using it and may chime in.

Software:
    Windows - Movie Maker (free download from Microsoft)
    Macintosh - iMovie (included with Mac)

Both programs are easy to use and perform the basics fairly well. If you outgrow these, check out Final Cut Express or Final Cut Pro.

Comment

Great breakdown - much appreciated!

I see the Kodak PlaySport is showing in stock at a local Target and there is going to be some foil action behind the boats this weekend so I might go pick one up. I guess if I don't like it, I can always return it.
      Last edited by jschnip; 06-24-2010, 06:34 PM.

Comment

I have the Flip HUD .. the smaller one I got if from cost co in May

Then I got a flexible tripod and use that the hold it in place in the ski pylon. That keeps the vodeo still and was only 15 bux

Works great

I need to look into the water proof case
        Last edited by G-MONEY; 06-24-2010, 10:21 PM.
        Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

My buddy brought out his Gopro camera a few weeks ago and that thing worked great and was water proof. Not sure which exact model he bought but it was in a water proof case:
          http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php...2&productid=31

Comment

I asked Ragboy what he uses for his videos when I had the same question about this type of product. I went with what he has. he also uses a wideangle attachment lense. The benefit to this one over the typical pocket camcorders (playsport and flip) is the 5x optical zoom. The others typically have none.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B001GXR03U

Comment

We have several. The Kodak Zi8 and the playsport are very good. They shoot a bit better video quality than the aiptek, but you can't beat that wide angle lens for video taping wakesurfing. The kodaks are also more durable. I just got a wide angle lens, but a pain in the butt. Also, the mics on the kodaks are horrible if there is ANY background or wind. The aiptek sounds MUCH better. The playsport is rock solid, very durable.

The playsport, with the mic of the aiptek, and the easy attachable wide angle lens would be the bomb.

All of our video is shot with one of those 3 cameras. There is a new aiptek, supposedly higher quality video like the kodaks. We will see.

One thing to remember about the aipteks, they have OPTICAL zoom, not digital, and they have GYROSCOPIC stabilization, not digital. They are definitely not as well made as the playsport though, but yet pretty damn durable.
              http://wake9.com/

Comment

Rag, I got that newer Aiptek, and it is nice. Right when you and I spoke about it, they had a promotion buying directly from Aiptek's website, where they knocked the newer one down to something like $125. I like putting it on 720p at 60fps and it shoots great. You are right about that mic, it picks up everything, even from the end of a wakeboarding rope. Thanks for the advice. I love the new camera. I also use it to take my stills - 12 megapixel to go along with that 5x optical zoom! I went to Sams and got a 16 gb sdhc card to put in it and feel like I can shoot all day.

Comment

I was thinking about getting a new video camera for the boat. Looked at Aiptek's site...which model? The Action HD - HDMI ? What about the GoPro camera. I see a lot of folks using those on here as well. Just looking for suggestions....

Comment

I am doing a shootout, done in a couple of days. You may want to wait til then, testing some wide angle lenses also.

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
                      I am doing a shootout, done in a couple of days. You may want to wait til then, testing some wide angle lenses also.
                      Thanks! That'd be great

Comment

The shootout sounds great.

We bought the Kodak PlaySport and used it last weekend. We've got an Olympus Tough-6020 on order to compare it with this weekend. The Olympus seems to fit the bill of what the PlaySport lacks: optical zoom, mechanical image stabilization, and better still camera features (flash, etc). It does however only take 720P at 30fps, so I will be looking forward to comparing its video with the PlaySports 720P at 60fps.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1496

Comment

I like the 60fps. That is a definite advantage. Guapo, I got the HDMI. It seems to be the exact same as the actionhd but with slightly better quality and it has an hdmi port in the camera to connect it straight to you hd tv without using a component cable. I've used that feature and it is nice to have. I have shot quite a bit already in a few weekends and am pretty happy with it considering its size. It is also pretty easy to figure out.

Comment

60fps can be a problem when you edit.

Comment

I picked up the Kodak Playsport yesterday at Best Buy, along with an extra battery, and 2 8GB SD cards. Used it today with a suction cup mount and it worked great. Got home, DL'ed the vids to the Mac and they are nice crisp videos in 720P 30fps. Now to try my hand at editing with FC Express for the first time.

IMO the image stabilization worked fine for a $150 camera. Of course being suctioned to the boat probably had something to do with minimum shake to begin with.

Comment

Working...
                              X