Toureag trailer hitch and trailer light install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toureag trailer hitch and trailer light install

My buddy and boat ownership partner is having a hard time finding someone besides the dealer to install the 5 pin trailer connector on his 2008 Touraeg. He called the dealer and they want $1500 for a hitch and trailer connector install! The local trailer hitch company will not touch the trailer light install because of some issues with the Touraeg computer. Anyone have any insight into this install or suggestions for a place to do the install in Austin at a non ridiculous price?

um is there already a 3 pin?

or is he doing it from scratch?

Most are so easy to do. Bring it to houston I'll do it for a heck of a lot less lol.
    Originally posted by G-MONEY
    It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

here is the wiring kit for 65 bucks. It's plug and play

http://www.etrailer.com/t1-2008_Volkswagen_Touareg.htm

Comment

here is the receiver with no drilling required. I'd just do it all myself, but that's just me.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2008_V...en_Touareg.htm

Comment

Wow, I knew dealers were overpriced but 1500 is nuts for under 300 in parts. I am pretty sure this would be from scratch but I have to look closer at his truck. Thanks for the links. I still wonder why the trailer shop would not touch the wiring harness install.

Comment

Austin,

I have never done your exact car, but I have done probably a dozen trucks, jeeps, and cars, 1 completely from scratch, but all the others all you do is unplug a light and then plug the harness in and then ground it. It's so easy. and I can't imagine it messing up the computer... it's just some wires.

and the reciever it lookks like it's just bolts, so I really think you can do this on your own if you have the basic tools.

Comment

Just noticed that the etrailer harness is a 4 pole and we need a 5 pole, for the surge brakes I guess. Or is there a way for the 4 pole to work that I am missing?

Comment

Originally posted by AustinSouthSide View Post
                Just noticed that the etrailer harness is a 4 pole and we need a 5 pole, for the surge brakes I guess. Or is there a way for the 4 pole to work that I am missing?
                Does your trailer have electric brakes? If it has surge brakes you dont need a brake controler.

Comment

He will need the 5th pin which is activated by the back up lights to disengage the surge brakes when backing up.

Comment

Originally posted by jrj701 View Post
                    He will need the 5th pin which is activated by the back up lights to disengage the surge brakes when backing up.
                    Maybe not. On my trailer you have to insert a pin to lock them out.

Comment

they make 4 to 5 pin converters. it's not bad.

or you can buy a brake controller.....

Comment

or just splice the 5th wire for that pin into the brake lights.

I had to insert a pin to lock them out just like aj said.

Comment

I have been reading on a Touraeg forum that we need to get a amp module for the brakes because wiring off the backup lights like we all normally do will cause the computer to get upset and send a bunch of warnings and complain a lot. I also read that there is not enough power to cause the brakes to disengage. Going to try to figure out what the amp module costs and how to install. Stupid expensive foreign cars. :-)

Comment

does your trailer have to have the brake unlock? i mean IMO it's a lot easier to just put the key in....

I'd look into that first. If your trailer doesn't have the electrical lock out no point in resereaching it. (sorry if I missed somewhere where you said it did.)

Comment

Originally posted by AustinSouthSide View Post
                              I have been reading on a Touraeg forum that we need to get a amp module for the brakes because wiring off the backup lights like we all normally do will cause the computer to get upset and send a bunch of warnings and complain a lot. I also read that there is not enough power to cause the brakes to disengage. Going to try to figure out what the amp module costs and how to install. Stupid expensive foreign cars. :-)
                              um... how does that work? not sure I follow that.

If there isn't a enough power just run a relay from your battery to the trailer switch and then do lights. I can't imagine the computer doing anything like that with a relay, the current draw would be so low....

maybe chpthril will chime in here. but like I said before make sure your trailer has the electric overide, if it doesn't you don't need the 5 pin.

Comment

Working...
                              X