Home remodelers/contractors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home remodelers/contractors?

Our next project is going to be to replace the old sliding door with a french door setup. I see door options with and without what they call the "brick molding". I know that the odds of the new door setup being the same dimensions as the new french door set, so I expect some work in regards to fitment.

So my questions is, should I go with with or or without a door thats got the "brick molding" attached? My thinking is, go without the brick molding. Then once the new door is in, build my one molding that best bridges the gap between the new door frame and existing siding.

TIA
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

if you have stucco or brick, iirc the purpose of that trim is to match the depth of the brick siding. if you're house is brick/stucco I'd opt for it. if you are standard lap siding then no and as you describe, trim to fit. never tried to buy it on the side but if you are in a decently sized town someone will sell door/window trim apart from the box stores. look them up if you need it.

on an unrelated note, I have used ebuilderdirect.com for many houses over the last few years(8 full houses of handles/locks and counting). comes out of denver, NC and when I googled the company, it's a small warehouse in an overgrown wooded area. close to your neck?
    2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
    2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Denver is about 40 mins up the road, on the west side of our biggest local lake. Tons of customers in the denver area.

Yes, our house is standard lap siding, not brick or stucco where this door is.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I'd order a standard door but it all depends on what trim you have on the place now. the door company you order from should be able to assist in proper trim to match the rest of the house unless it's a box store and if so, order standard and if they don't have the right trim or you don't care, pick out what looks good once the door is set in and screwed in place. likely have to do some massaging inside as well so for us it would be a 3-trip to hardware stores
        2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
        2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Brick mold is generally a 2”x2” exterior trim and yes, generally used in brick or stucco applications. Nothing really special. I’d pop the interior trim off and see what your actual opening looks like. Probably won’t need brick mold if you just have and 2x4 stick framed house. If so, a basic 4 9/16” jam is what you’ll need. Just get matching trim (in and out) to fit. Post some pics if you can.
          You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Where are you getting the door from? For sure post any questions. I’ve been measuring doors and windows for nearly 8yrs now. My stepfather has been THE door guy in this town for 30+ years. If I don’t know the answer, I’ll get it from him.

Comment

Thanks to Scott in NV, Scott in TN and Nick for the info, ive learned a lot. Although this project is going to be far more involved then first anticipated, we feel we still want to move forward with the conversion from sliding to french.

Although we will certainly be doing dry wall work as we will likely have to raise the header and widen the opening, Scott in TN feels that even if we go with a new sliding door, its dimensions could be different from the old one, still requiring us to modify the frame opening. So, drywall gets cut, repaired and painted anyway.

it was a hard sell to the wife, as we painted this wall just last Summer and had new carpet put in just last Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post

it was a hard sell to the wife, as we painted this wall just last Summer and had new carpet put in just last Wednesday.
                My wife would have either stroked out or killed me.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

keep in mind that the only time you have to modify the header is if the french door is taller than the slider. no issue at all with code out west to have a header feet above the window or door.
                  if you are looking at moving a header, I'd give a good hard look at the project. that could involve much larger issues IF the house is 2 story or the direction of trusses and where they land.
                  you might also find that if only widening, the house could have been framed with stacked 2x4's on the sides supporting the header above and if widening, now moving those stacks and needing a larger or wider header that might not fit under the top plate.

paint wouldn't bother me but new carpet would be a no go for us IF having to change stacks or header.
                  good luck and if you tackle it, post up pics....
                  2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                  2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
                    keep in mind that the only time you have to modify the header is if the french door is taller than the slider. no issue at all with code out west to have a header feet above the window or door.
                    if you are looking at moving a header, I'd give a good hard look at the project. that could involve much larger issues IF the house is 2 story or the direction of trusses and where they land.
                    you might also find that if only widening, the house could have been framed with stacked 2x4's on the sides supporting the header above and if widening, now moving those stacks and needing a larger or wider header that might not fit under the top plate.

paint wouldn't bother me but new carpet would be a no go for us IF having to change stacks or header.
                    good luck and if you tackle it, post up pics....
                    What he said.

Any custom door should be able to be built to customer specs. There’s really no reason to start changing the framing. It would be cheaper and way easier to order a door to fit.

Comment

Working...
                    X