duramax egr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

duramax egr

Well folks for those of you who have a 2007 duramax classic here is some info. I have 99k+ on this truck. A month or so engine light comes on. a day or two later it cleared itself. a week ago it came on again. took it to the dealer and they replaced the motor solenoid to the egr to a tune of $478. Three days later the engine light on again. Took it back They tore it apart and found that the EGR is cloged full of carbon. Had to replace egr valve and cooler. The tech told me that this was the worst one he has seen which tells me this is not an uncommon problem. Looking at the desing I believe These egr valves are going to get pluged up on the diesels. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Last edited by gman; 02-13-2010, 11:35 PM.

Mine did the same thing 2006 Duramax. But Chevrolet paid for the replacement. It was kind of funny because the first time I took it in they said I would have to pay for it. Then the light came back on and I took it in (a few months later) and they said that GM would take care of it. The 100k mile powertrain warranty is supposed to cover it.
    Just keep pressing them and they will probably warranty it for you.
    Biggest lake addict on the planet

Comment

The second time around they charged me $100 and they picked up the rest of the bill.

Comment

Most of us on the duramax's just block off the EGR's w/ a plate, then run a tuner or a fingerstick to keep the CEL from coming on. And since your at 100K miles now just about, no more warranty to worry about, so why not. Your motor will actually thank you for blocking off the stupid EGR. No need to have that nasty soot going back through your motor, dump it out your exhaust like it should be.
        Being a major OU fan and a staunch conservative.... I am perpetually vexed w/ the conundrum of who to hate more. Obama or the Univ. of Saxet.

Comment

dodges are really bad about this issue.

I agree with Tanner, block it and clear the code. Your engine will love you
          Originally posted by G-MONEY
          It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner View Post
            Most of us on the duramax's just block off the EGR's w/ a plate, then run a tuner or a fingerstick to keep the CEL from coming on. And since your at 100K miles now just about, no more warranty to worry about, so why not. Your motor will actually thank you for blocking off the stupid EGR. No need to have that nasty soot going back through your motor, dump it out your exhaust like it should be.
            What is a tuner/fingerstick? I might do that on mine next time.
            Biggest lake addict on the planet

Comment

A tuner is a device that allows you to change the programming in your ECM to gain hp/torque and/or mileage, by changing your timing and adjusting your air/fuel ratios. Some models allow you to turn off certain CEL's and troubleshoot CEL's as well.

More popular diesel brands are PPE, SCT, Diablo, Banks, Edge, HP Tuners, EFI Live, amongst many others.

The last two, you actually write your own programming, or can purchase programming from tuners.

As for the fingerstick.... http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=877388
              Being a major OU fan and a staunch conservative.... I am perpetually vexed w/ the conundrum of who to hate more. Obama or the Univ. of Saxet.

Comment

Tanner,
                This year they are starting to smog diesels in Calif. I would love to do the modification but will I be able to get around the smog test????

Comment

Originally posted by gman View Post
                  Tanner,
                  This year they are starting to smog diesels in Calif. I would love to do the modification but will I be able to get around the smog test????
                  gman,

Most programmers are a couple hundred bucks at best.

You could buy it, try it, smog it and if it passes great. If not then just send it back saying didn't work, or some other excuse. Then you can just go have the egr recleaned etc.

If it does pass smog your set and you won't have to drop 500 bucks every few months or what ever it was your having to clean it.

My question for you is how are they going to smog the diesel's? When SPBfan and his son did a science test on my diesel his equipment couldn't even pick up the emissions they were so low... (he used to do smog, so wondering what the republic of california is doing now?)

Most tunes actually make the trucks more clean burning and don't have an issue with the smog. The only concern I heard from SPBfan is they were/did pass a law in cali where any ECU that has been altered (ie turning the cel off or anything) is an automatic fail. They were trying to do this to get rid of all the high performance tunes. This won't completely illiminate tuning, just make it a lot harder in that now you would have to have 2 ecu's, one which is stock you use to get your smog, the other would not and that would be your tune.

wow what a PITA. Gotta love the republic of california! "if we are broke, tax the peasants until they revolt!!"
                  Last edited by Domsz06; 02-16-2010, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Domszo6 The $478 was for the replacement of the egr actuator. The replacement of the cooler and actual egr was closer to 1K but GM (goverenment motors) picked up the tab for this fix (actually all of us did). This is going to happen again since the design is such that the carbon will just plug the egr up sooner or later. Im going to look at making the modification.

Comment

sounds good gman.

Yeah for 1500 bucks I would for sure look into doing the mod.

Comment

Yuck.... didn't know you were in Cali. That's depressing, as the new testing procedures there are RIDICULOUS! The snap test will bag most diesels, including many stock diesels.

The good news is the EGR plate and the tuner are both easily removable. You will probably need to remove the blocker plate though, as I think they will be looking for them specifically during the visual inspection. But like I said, the plate easily and readily comes out. Maybe 10 mins after your experienced, prob. 20-30 mins the first time. It's simply removing 3-4 bolts, they are just a pain to get to. It's nothing any idiot with a wrench couldn't do.

As for the tuner... unless you give them any reason to further inspect it (stickers or wires from a programmer like the edge, and some of the banks units) should be ok. They won't be scanning your ECM unless they suspect you have reasonable suspicion of a tuner. BUT you can easily reflash the ECM back to stock before going in if your worried. For the duramax, I highly recommend the PPE tuners. Give Dan a call at PPE, and ask him about the CA smog testing.... they are based there in Cali, and will be very familiar. Dan will set you straight.

PPE

New Cali BAR testing

Comment

Working...
                        X