In Search of Snow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Search of Snow!

Weather forcast this weekend called for snow in the mtns so we decided to head to our favorite tree farm in the NC mountains and choose a Christmas tree and play in the snow........if they got any.

Well, they did. We headed out about 9AM for a short 2 hr drive to the mountains in Western NC. We are at about 700 or so ft above sea level and the little town we were head to, Jonas Ridge, is nestled against the Pisgah NF at about 3500ft. The rain was steady as got off the main HWY and started up the 2 lane state rd to the Pisgah forest. As we hit 2500 ft, the rain turned to a slight snow mix. As we got higher the snow got heavier and began to stick on the ground as roads. When we reached the tree farm, there was about 3-4 inches of accumulation ans still falling. It was an absolutely perfect day.....the wind was light, and the temp was just at freezing. We spent about an hour tromping around the farm till we found the perfect trees, one for us and one for my folks. Two 7ft trees and a fresh made wreath = $80

After we left, we headed a little bit further up the road to Lineville Gorge NP. In the snow, this is one of the most beautiful places to hike. We took the short hike down to the upper falls overlook for some pics. The main section of the falls is a 90ft drop and the gorge is about 12 miles long. Its kinda a mini Grand Canyon

Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing!
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

very nice
      Here's to swimming with bow-legged women

Comment

Great pics and a great day in the NC mountains!!!

Comment

Originally posted by thtrog View Post
          Great pics and a great day in the NC mountains!!!
          Looks like Beach and Sugar got some decent snow, not sure about App.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
            Looks like Beach and Sugar got some decent snow, not sure about App.
            We skied at App on Sunday and they had good snow, but only had the main hill open. It was founders day with $5 lifts, so everyone showed up too.

The shots at Linville falls brought back some good memories. I lived up there for four years, but I never thought about hiking in with snow on the ground.

Comment

Very nice, heading up to the mountains on Sat and can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by thtrog View Post
                We skied at App on Sunday and they had good snow, but only had the main hill open. It was founders day with $5 lifts, so everyone showed up too.

The shots at Linville falls brought back some good memories. I lived up there for four years, but I never thought about hiking in with snow on the ground.
                There is nothing like a hike in the snow, especially when the wind is calm. The snow acts as a dampener. It is so dang quite, you can hear the snow land on the ground. There is nothing like camping and hiking in the snow.

Comment

What great fun! Reminds me of Ohio and getting the tree.

Comment

Cool pics! Thats great you were able to get your own tree like that.
                    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Great pics...thanks for sharing...love the snow!

Comment

"I feel sorry for people that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Comment

very cool Mike!!

Comment

Nice!!!

That was a slightly different experience than me wrestling our artificial tree out of our attic above the garage.

Comment

Well, when you are done that, can you come over and wrestle my cat outta of our tree? She makes a home in our Christmas tree every year.

Comment

Working...
                              X