Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all you computer geeks!

Hey TO's,
    Well I just moved my 91 yr old grandpa into a assisted living unit this weekend. As we were cleaning out his house, we found boxes and boxes of pictures from the late 1800's and early 1900's, I'm talking about hundreds upon hundreds of pics of family members long gone. I would like to scan these pics to DVD so everyone in the family can have a set, but I don't know what is the best picture scanner and what software program to use. Any suggestions? My current setup is woefully inadequate and feel that investing a few dollars for the right equipment is the best bet. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

I have an HP Officejet 7410 that scans pretty good pictures. I scan regular documents with it too for email and fax purposes. It's probably not the best but I would imagine any decent photo printer with scanner would do just fine for ya, it should come with software also.
    "I feel sorry for people that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Comment

Send them out and have a pro do it. Cheaper than buying equip and a whole lot faster. Plus they will catalog them.

Comment

Originally posted by KonaKing View Post
        Send them out and have a pro do it. Cheaper than buying equip and a whole lot faster. Plus they will catalog them.
        X2...it's what I did for some of my dad's pics.

Comment

The Epson V500 Photo would be the scanner I would recommend if you want to do it yourself. You are looking at $150 to $175 new and it will get the job done right.

Comment

Originally posted by KonaKing View Post
            Originally posted by Guapo View Post
            x3 and they can touch up the pictures making them look brand new.

Comment

X4. In addition to what is listed above, when you are talking boxes and boxes, single scanning will take you a forever and then some.

Comment

I have done this before, and scanner software has come even farther than when I did it. First, canon makes great scanners and you can check for many great reviews. Here is one, that is small, and almost portable. This one doesn't even have a POWER CORD. It powers itself from the usb 2.0 port.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=17103

They are under $100. They have something called auto scan. You can put several pics at once, and as long as there is a bit of separation between them, the scanner will even save one scan into separate images for you. So it is quick, and almost fully automated. You will have a big folder of images when done. Then you just load them into something like iPhoto or Picasa and catalog them.

Its a fun family project, I would teach the kids how to load the images. So you just have to keep an eye on the process as it goes.

Take a look at the reviews, I have always seen these CANON LIDE scanners rated well, and I have had 2. They work well.

Watch this:

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/AutoScan/index.swf

This is the same as how I would RIP hundreds of CDs. I set the software, and just tell a kid to sit there. And reload CDs as they eject. You can sit someone down to just load images and hit ONE button, then reload and hit the button again when done. Nothing more to do.
                http://wake9.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Guapo View Post
                  We thought about this, did you take it to a photo-developing shop or something different. Do you remember the approx cost?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
                    I have done this before, and scanner software has come even farther than when I did it. First, canon makes great scanners and you can check for many great reviews. Here is one, that is small, and almost portable. This one doesn't even have a POWER CORD. It powers itself from the usb 2.0 port.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=17103

They are under $100. They have something called auto scan. You can put several pics at once, and as long as there is a bit of separation between them, the scanner will even save one scan into separate images for you. So it is quick, and almost fully automated. You will have a big folder of images when done. Then you just load them into something like iPhoto or Picasa and catalog them.

Its a fun family project, I would teach the kids how to load the images. So you just have to keep an eye on the process as it goes.

Take a look at the reviews, I have always seen these CANON LIDE scanners rated well, and I have had 2. They work well.

Watch this:

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/AutoScan/index.swf

This is the same as how I would RIP hundreds of CDs. I set the software, and just tell a kid to sit there. And reload CDs as they eject. You can sit someone down to just load images and hit ONE button, then reload and hit the button again when done. Nothing more to do.
                    I was looking at this Epson scanner http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/c...s&oid=63068980 is there a noticable difference between 4800dpi and 6400dpi resolution? Is it even worth the difference in price? I would think that the right software would be just as important. I'm sure you use Adobe or something other than the software that comes with the scanner to edit, am I right? Is there a cheaper alternative, I really just want software that will enhance some pics that need it and help me cataloge and burn them to disk.

Thanks

Comment

You won't really notice the difference. DPI is like when a TV says 1080P. A 720p Panasonic Plasma can have a better picture than a 1080p Visio. Color reproduction is more important.

Epson is also a good scanner, and I believe it also has the automatic software. You should be good with either. I have had both, and liked the canon better, I especially liked the fact the canon was so lightweight, and no power cord, easy to move around and between computers.

Both software will be comparable.
                      http://wake9.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
                        You won't really notice the difference. DPI is like when a TV says 1080P. A 720p Panasonic Plasma can have a better picture than a 1080p Visio. Color reproduction is more important.

Epson is also a good scanner, and I believe it also has the automatic software. You should be good with either. I have had both, and liked the canon better, I especially liked the fact the canon was so lightweight, and no power cord, easy to move around and between computers.

Both software will be comparable.
                        Super, that's what I needed to know. Thanks Ragboy!

Comment

Working...
                        X