2011 Scorpion Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2011 Scorpion Motor

So we all knew Ford and Navistar were splitting ways. People have been wondering what was gonna happen for the 2011 trucks. In comes an all new motor and a totally new tranny. Hmmmmm, anyone when remember the last time ford tried this? Not such great results. Hopefully they'll have better luck.

What I find interesting though, is they've ditched the TT design (yes I realize that was navistar's motor). I figured they'd stick w/ that though. Must have been too expensive.

Instead they have decided to borrow many design cues from the Duramax motor (why wouldn't you want to). I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. They've gone to a VVT set-up as well as finally switching to Aluminum heads (what took them so long on this). They've also borrowed yet ANOTHER cue from GM and switched to a inside-out layout on the turbo. In addition to the VVT, this should cut down on turbo lag, something the Ford's were notorious about until the 6.4.

Cool thing is the turbo is right on top of the motor. So easy access if you wanna do a turbo swap! No more pulling off the cab. They finally switched to a 6 speed tranny which is funny considering everyone else is looking into 8 and 10 speeds now. Could they be behind on this one? I'm shocked it took them this long.

Fords got alot on the line w/ this one. No one to blame if they have motor failures this time. I do wish them luck. Alot to take on at such a bad time in the market.
    Being a major OU fan and a staunch conservative.... I am perpetually vexed w/ the conundrum of who to hate more. Obama or the Univ. of Saxet.

6 head studs per cyclinder sounds pretty good to me. This motor should be killer, and once the tuners start working there magic, i can see some big HP numbers from the scorpion.

the 8-10 speeds tranny is more of a rumer based on what ive heard, its not gonna happen since its not very cost effective. it would be pretty cool tho!

I could see a compound tranny, so youd have 10-12 speeds since its just another gear on top.
    Joey - Red 20V Riders Edition

Comment

Should... but we'll see.

I mean the Max's and Cummins can get to 550 on tunes alone. So a 400HP stock motor SHOULD be able to hit that. Of course the 3 big boys aren't to far off from 400HP stock anyways. At least you shouldn't be blowing out head gasket's if you are hitting that mark with this sucker...lol. I guess we'll see. Pretty much all the PSD's haven't been up to par when it comes to the tuning dept. The max is built alot like a race motor from the factory.... I wonder if Ford is going that route w/ this thing.

I'd like to see what the tranny will hold though. Will ford design this sucker to barely hold the power of the stocker or seriously over build it?
      Last edited by Tanner; 10-06-2009, 05:10 AM.
      Being a major OU fan and a staunch conservative.... I am perpetually vexed w/ the conundrum of who to hate more. Obama or the Univ. of Saxet.

Comment

i really hope they over built the tranny. the cummins tranny can hold somethin like 550-600 stock. but spartan makes a 310 race tune for the 6.4L stroke, finally got rid of the HPOP and got common rail fuel injection

Comment

I loveeeee my allison, I just wish the stock T/C could hold more like the CTD. Mine was not liking me at 480 RWHP. Actually it was the Torque that killed it at right below 1K ft lbs. Pretty much what kills all of them...lol.

When the twins came, I def. had to yank it and build it. LOL.

Comment

haha right on. still runnin a dmax?
            not a powerstroke guy!?

Comment

Yep. I loveeeee my max. I even catch my dad trying to drive it sometimes if we're out at our ranch together. He's a PSD guy, despite the problems he's had. I'm a Chevy guy after my issues w/ a bad F150 and the way Ford handled it. We each got our own brands that do us well!

Comment

haha i hear ya. somethin about the superduty just does somethin for me haha. ive seen some six dmaxs but if i drove anything other than a psd idk how i would handle it!

I want a cummins....but could never EVER drive a dodge. those things are garbage. no better than a shipping crate for the cummins motor. Superduty + cummins = asdga sdfasafddvsfbfsf

Comment

I just wish they would concentrate more on fuel mileage than horsepower. In all seriousness my Duramax LMM has plenty of power, just wish that it could get the mileage. I don't understand why Ford and Chevy go the V8 route, caterpillar/cummins have proven the inline 6 works great in diesels. How many trillion miles are there on Cat inline 6's in semi's?

Why can a semi get 6 or even 8 mpg sometimes pulling 80,000 lbs and some of these new diesel pickups are only getting 8.5-10 pulling < 10,000? I guess that's probably more a function of gearing and the reason that they are looking at 8-10 speeds in pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
                    I just wish they would concentrate more on fuel mileage than horsepower. In all seriousness my Duramax LMM has plenty of power, just wish that it could get the mileage. I don't understand why Ford and Chevy go the V8 route, caterpillar/cummins have proven the inline 6 works great in diesels. How many trillion miles are there on Cat inline 6's in semi's?

Why can a semi get 6 or even 8 mpg sometimes pulling 80,000 lbs and some of these new diesel pickups are only getting 8.5-10 pulling < 10,000? I guess that's probably more a function of gearing and the reason that they are looking at 8-10 speeds in pickups.
                    yea those semis have monster compound trannys.

but i agree, ford should hop on in the inline 6 train, its proven power, and less moving parts =more efficiency

Comment

Its called emission controls. It killed their MPG. Also, the increases in horsepower dont help either.

DPF systems and EGR have really affected diesels.

The new Scorpion will have urea injection into the exhaust to reduce NOx. Hopefully service stations will be up to speed by the time the Scorpion arrives.

Or you could just pee in the urea tank.
                      Last edited by River Runner; 10-06-2009, 06:29 PM.
                      Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

Emissions only killed the fuel mileage by 1-2 mpg though.

Comment

Originally posted by River Runner View Post
                          Its called emission controls. It killed their MPG. Also, the increases in horsepower dont help either.

DPF systems and EGR have really affected diesels.

The new Scorpion will have urea injection into the exhaust to reduce NOx. Hopefully service stations will be up to speed by the time the Scorpion arrives.

Or you could just pee in the urea tank.

yea the dpf kills it.

Emissions only killed the fuel mileage by 1-2 mpg though.
                          nah they do MUCH more than that. Drastically limit the performance. It may only hurt the stocker by 2 mpg, but the potential these motors have is huge. you can get low-mid 20's mpg without a straight piped, tuned 6.4L

Heck my truck will get in the low 20's if im nice to her! I have edge juice w/ attitude (i need a TW custom tuner tho ) 4" down pipe to 5" with a flow through muff, no cat. aFe stage II intake with pro G 7 and a HPOP cross over that really smoothed the motor out!

Comment

This is one of those threads that could easily be written in Arabic and I'd comprehend about the same.......

Comment

Originally posted by somebodyelse5 View Post
                              Heck my truck will get in the low 20's if im nice to her! I have edge juice w/ attitude (i need a TW custom tuner tho ) 4" down pipe to 5" with a flow through muff, no cat. aFe stage II intake with pro G 7 and a HPOP cross over that really smoothed the motor out!
                              With the old 7.3 maybe, not in the 6.4.

Comment

Working...
                              X