To 4x4 or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To 4x4 or not

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 that is sort of going out on me, only has the 4.6 v8, going to probably a Toyota Seqoia or Landcruiser, if going with a Seqoia or any suv, is there a diff in towing comparing the same model between a 4x2 vs 4x4. I know pulling it up the ramp, but that has never been an issue, how about hauling a boat through the hills. I have a 2008 22ve.

Thanks for the input.
    The worst day of boating is still the better than the best day of work......, unless you bend your prop.

The only time I use my 4x4 is when i'm pulling out of a steep slippery ramp.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I can see for the ramp, other websites says it helps when towing, though I do not see how. Also I wonder how much extra heat in the tranny is produced by towing your boat with 4 wheel drive on, though the diff cooler should help.
      The worst day of boating is still the better than the best day of work......, unless you bend your prop.

Comment

when the ramp is slippery, you want the extra traction of 4x4
        Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I have a 4X4 Sequoia. I wouldn't be without it. Not just for the ramp, but for the winter sports, snow boarding/skiing.

But if you don't do any winter sports and you are not worried about the launch ramp. The 2 wheel drive is the one you want. The vehicle will obviously have less maintenance due to having less parts. The vehicle will have less weight due to less parts. That will save fuel and will allow you to tow more weight.

On the Landcruiser? I'm not sure, but I think they are all time 4 wheel drive.

Good luck and post up a picture of what you get.
          Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

if you don't need it on a ramp don't buy it. you get better mpg and less maintenance on a two wheel drive.

If your buying a smaller suv I'd buy it with four just incase you have an issue on a ramp. I have a 3/4 ton diesel and if I were to buy another one I'd probably buy two. but oh well. I have never used my four wheel except to pull my brother out of the mud. I know at the lake I was at last weekend G-money has to use four every time, but it's a dirt ramp and he has to put all four wheels into the water. The door almose opens into the water he has to go so deep.
            Originally posted by G-MONEY
            It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

I vote 4WD. I have 4WD and use it occasionally, but when you need it.......you REALLY need it. Worth the extra $$ IMO.

Comment

Like domz said I use 4x4 every time I pull the boat out, but I never tow with it on.

Also remember your insurance will be more with a 4X4.
                Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

I vote 4x4 just because I'm a Florida "cracker"
                  "I feel sorry for people that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Comment

Originally posted by Fast1911 View Post
                    I'm a "cracker"
                    We know... We know...

Comment

Funny thing is trucks are rated to tow more in the 4x2 versions. this is because they don't have the added weight of the transfer case. I have owned both 4x4 and 4x2 vehicles. And it always seems that you never need a 4x4 when you have one but with 4x2 it seems like every time you turn around you wish you had it. I would rather be safe then sorry is how I view it.
                      I'm going old school- I'm bring back the SKURFER!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mneal View Post
                        I vote 4WD. I have 4WD and use it occasionally, but when you need it.......you REALLY need it. Worth the extra $$ IMO.
                        x2

There have been times in a previous vehicle when I was cursing myself for only going with 2WD. After a few of those incidents, we vowed to bear the extra cost in order to have that extra capability, and have gone back to 4WD.

Comment

I'd go 4x4 just for the winter aspect of it but I live in a place where we get some snow and have to use it occasionally. 4x4 will retain it's value better depending on the market too.

Comment

I haven't needed a 4x4 even at a ramp that was full of moss and slim. However, I could have used a diesel vice a regular gas tow vehicles at times.

Comment

Here is my tow rig with this floaty thingy attached .
                              [IMG][/IMG]

Honestly, when I first bought it, it wasn't meant to be a tow vehicle, just a safe bigger car for the kiddos. But since then, I tow a 24' travel trailer (light version), a 18' all steel car hauler with a 3K wanna be race car, and now the boat. If I could have it my way, there would be a Ford F250 diesel 4X4 in my garage, but the monies just aren't there right now. But I have to tell you, the Landcruiser has not let me down a single time (knock on wood, as I knock on my head). Like mentioned also, it is a champ if doing winter sports or any type of driving where the sure footedness of an all time 4 wheel drive car is desired. And pulling the boat on the ramp hasn't even been close to an issue, but then again, I have only been out a few times .

Either case, I would also highly side with at least a 4X4 vehicle, nice back-up feature to have.

Comment

Working...
                              X