Internet Explorer 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet Explorer 8

Any one out there running Internet Explorer 8 and having issues? In the last 2 months, both my Laptops have crashed and needed rebuilt from the ground up as far as OS and other software. The wife's was the first to go down and get rebuilt and about 2-3 weeks ago I ok'd the download/install of IE 8. Since then, it has not worked right, especially with sites like Ebay. Mine was working fine after the new hard drive and rebuild as I had declined the IE 8 at first. I wanted to make sure it was working correctly before I did it. Well, after updating this one to IE 8, we noticed that it was no longer working with sites like Ebay. The only one was an old laptop that is still running IE 7. It will not allow us to upload pics, change font in a listing, etc. It clicked that IE 8 was the problem after the wife said my laptop was allowing her to do an Ebay listing and now it wont, and the only thing that changed was from IE 7 to 8. Ebay thought is was the ActiveX and Java settings and walked us through resetting those, but did not fix. I have since dumped IE 8 and reverted to IE 7, but still not working. I set the old laptop side by side with the wife's and copied every setting in the working one to the non working one, and still not working?

Just curious if anyone else has experienced issues with it
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

I'm seeing lots of scripting errors, but no crashes. However, I'm only running IE8 on my work laptop, which is Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Edition.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

I installed IE 8 on my work computer and two of the computers at home. Since then, I have downgraded IE back to 7 because IE8 sucks!!!! As dogbert said, too many scripting errors and the browser wants to take over the computer I say, remove it and stay with IE7

Comment

Just stick with Firefox and everything will be good again!

There is a patch/update to IE that supposedly makes it a ton better. Make sure you are using 8.0.6001.18702 or newer.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
          That's what I normally run.
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by da.bell View Post
            I installed IE 8 on my work computer and two of the computers at home. Since then, I have downgraded IE back to 7 because IE8 sucks!!!! As dogbert said, too many scripting errors and the browser wants to take over the computer I say, remove it and stay with IE7
            Both our laptops are back on 7, but still not able to do an ebay listing

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post

There is a patch/update to IE that supposedly makes it a ton better. Make sure you are using 8.0.6001.18702 or newer.
            Did you have to search for a fix specificaly, cause no additional updates come up when I check on MS's update site?
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Have you patched IE7 and restarted the computer since then? Is there error messages the IE7 is displaying (located on the status bar just left of where it will say Internet with a globe)?

Comment

ebay uses some plug-ins (example: flash, quicktime, shockwave, ...) that might need fixing

Comment

Originally posted by da.bell View Post
                  ebay uses some plug-ins (example: flash, quicktime, shockwave, ...) that might need fixing
                  This is more likely the case. It's also possible that the IE security settings have been beefed up in IE8.

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
                    This is more likely the case. It's also possible that the IE security settings have been beefed up in IE8.
                    I would also suggest going into IE7 and taking all the security settings to default levels also.

Great point dog!!!!

Comment

I don't have IE 8 installed - my QA person installed it and was having all sorts of javascript errors with some of my older sites until he got IE up to that version I put above.

Comment

Firefox here.....
                        "I feel sorry for people that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Comment

I would just use another browser instead of IE.

There are others like FireFox, Safari, Chrome, Opera.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Garcia View Post
                            I would just use another browser instead of IE.

There are others like FireFox, Safari, Chrome, Opera.
                            2 out of 3 developers Where's ragboy on this one?

Here's the thing with Firefox and non-IE browsers, they follow(or more closely follow) the W3 standards. MS thinks that they make the standards and try and force them on their users. Kind of funny, I have a site that renders perfectly on FF, Chrome and Blackberry's(for which it was designed) and it's not even useable with IE 7....
                            Last edited by Timmy!; 05-29-2009, 05:41 PM.

Comment

OK, going back through the IE settings of the laptop that is working and one that's not, looks like its missing Java.

Comment

Working...
                              X