Upgraded Winch for Boatmate Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded Winch for Boatmate Trailer

Any recommendations for an upgraded winch on a Boatmate trailer? I have a very difficult time yanking my RZX2 all the forward onto the trailer unless it is sitting VERY deep in the water (even then it is difficult).

I’ve thought about upgrading to the DLx2600 or the DL3200A (Dutton-Lainson) or maybe the Fulton F2. It looks like the Fulton, however, may have a different bolt mounting pattern than the DLx.

Attached is a photo of my current winch setup. It seems strange to me that my trailer which was supposedly designed for my boat would be sold with a 1500 pound winch. From what I’ve read, the winch load capacity should be roughly 1/2 the weight of the boat. The RZX2 is 5600 pounds empty.
    8DCAC6F7-6822-4F17-84C7-D66180EA4E89.jpg
    84B9C905-D28E-4651-8617-A33AC269ED53.jpg
    Last edited by BrentB; 04-20-2020, 12:28 AM.

When you load do you fully submerge the bunks first then pull back up?? Getting the bunk carpet wet can make it significantly easier that trying to drag it up on dry carpet.

Comment

Just drive the boat slowly on till the eyelet hits the roller. Those winches aren't designed to pull your boat up on the bunks.

Comment

On boatmates website they have a two speed winch that works great. People with perfect launches won't understand why you would need one, but when your launch is steep it is hard to get the bow eye up to the roller.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB313 View Post
          Just drive the boat slowly on till the eyelet hits the roller. Those winches aren't designed to pull your boat up on the bunks.
          I drive the boat as far up onto the trailer as possible. I’m really only trying to close the last 3-6 inches with the winch to get the boat snug against the front roller to keep the bow from bouncing on the trailer. Even this short distance is very difficult despite wet, mostly submerged, bunks.

Comment

One trick I have found when trying to get the bow eye up the last couple inches is to pull the truck forward more once you are as far up as you can get it. This makes the stern go down further and essentially makes the boat more level with the front trailer bunks so you can winch the last few inches forward.

Comment

Originally posted by BrentB View Post
              I drive the boat as far up onto the trailer as possible. I’m really only trying to close the last 3-6 inches with the winch to get the boat snug against the front roller to keep the bow from bouncing on the trailer. Even this short distance is very difficult despite wet, mostly submerged, bunks.
              If I have another person with me, I have the boat driver give minor throttle and the other person crank the last couple inches.
              If I'm by myself, I just leave the boat in gear and I am able to lay down and reach over the bow and crank myself the last couple inches.

How far are you backing your trailer in?

Comment

Depending on the steepness of the ramp, but i will get the boat within a ft of so from the roller then back the trailer into the water another foot so the trailer is 2-3inches deeper in the water.....this will make wenching the last few inches much easier. Got to be careful that the boat does float off the bunk and into or even onto the trailer fender if you put the trailer in too deep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Move all your steel ballast (if using) or passengers towards the back. I found having a bow high approach makes getting the boat all the way up on the trailer and clearing the roller much easier. This also relieves any weight on the front portion of the bunks.

Comment

Working...
                  X