Tandem or triple axel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tandem or triple axel?

What are the advantages of a tandem or triple axel trailers? Trying to decide which for my next boat. My driveway has a bit of incline, does the triple axel make it easier to transition between street and driveway? Thanks

I personally believe a triple is only required for the "hey, look at me!" otherwise these boats aren't really putting out the weights that require a 3rd axle. I'd suspect you'd also go through tires quicker and at least 2 more to replace from turning. I'll admit on some of these rigs a triple looks pretty cool but I think that's all it is....cool factor.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
      I personally believe a triple is only required for the "hey, look at me!" otherwise these boats aren't really putting out the weights that require a 3rd axle. I'd suspect you'd also go through tires quicker and at least 2 more to replace from turning. I'll admit on some of these rigs a triple looks pretty cool but I think that's all it is....cool factor.
      Agree. If triple was better, then wouldn’t 18 wheelers use them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We've talked about this a few times in the past. Boatmate has a GVW of around 8300 on most of the two axle trailers it puts under our boats. My fully loaded RZX3 with no lead, but full of fuel, and the typical gear weighs 8600. Blows my mind every time I think about it. Now Boatmate does have an option for a 10k two axle trailer. If I was building a new boat that was one of the bigger ones, this would be the way to go. I'm beyond impressed with how well my boat tows. From rough roads to high cross winds I feel safe every time. And that's towing with a Ram 1500.
        One other thing to keep in mind is tire size vs. capacity. I haven't found an 18" tire that is rated for 2500 pounds. I'm not sure what boatmate does for this. Maybe a 16 or 17 inch. So if you got to have the bigger wheels, a triple may be the only way to go. If you're even considering a triple you must be getting a big boat, so whatever you do make sure you have a 10k gvw.

Comment

What are you towing with? if you have anything but a HD truck I would go triple axle. Assuming you're looking at rzx3/ zx5 lineup.
          Last edited by bsreid; 11-30-2019, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
            What are you towing with? if you have anything but a HD truck I would go triple axle. Assuming you're looking at rzx3/ zx5 lineup.
            23ZX is what I’m hoping for... towing with a F150 eco boost.

Comment

if you have anything but a HD truck I would go triple axle
              Curious how the number of trailer axles changes the weight towed by the truck?
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                Maybe the manufacturer is playing the tongue weight game and going to even lower percentage of tongue weight with triple axels? My R23 is right at 5% tongue weight with a tandem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
                  One other thing to keep in mind is tire size vs. capacity. I haven't found an 18" tire that is rated for 2500 pounds. I'm not sure what boatmate does for this. Maybe a 16 or 17 inch. So if you got to have the bigger wheels, a triple may be the only way to go. If you're even considering a triple you must be getting a big boat, so whatever you do make sure you have a 10k gvw.
                  This is a great point and proves it’s all about looks. Those massive wheels necessitate three axles. Smaller tires actually carry more load. So getting a third axle makes no impact on load carrying. It just allows more bling.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                    Of course the triple axle trailer isn’t going to make anything lighter but it can make things easier.
                    Cuts the tongue weight of the bigger boats in half, taking a lot of stress off the rear end of the truck, as well as tracking better on the highway, not pulling a lighter truck around so much.

Johnnie.
                    The thing I’ve heard with the larger wheels is the added width which really helps. The newer trailers with 18” wheels have much thicker tires as the 18s in the past did as well. Another thing with the having the third axle is the axle capacity, the current tandem axle trailers that come stock have under capacity axles when you look at what they’re rated for.

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
                      Johnnie.
                      The thing I’ve heard with the larger wheels is the added width which really helps. The newer trailers with 18” wheels have much thicker tires as the 18s in the past did as well. Another thing with the having the third axle is the axle capacity, the current tandem axle trailers that come stock have under capacity axles when you look at what they’re rated for.
                      The load rating is literally written on the tire. While fatter can help, it depends on the tire itself. Trailer tires are designed for huge loads. My 5th wheel has simple 15" wheels and it is 10,500#. Fatter trailer tires likely won't track as well as skinny ones either. Nor will they take curbs very well.

I know why people like them, but it's just not for me. I'd rather put more money into make-wave-big items.

As for the axle, if a trailer manufacturer is selling under rated axles, they don't deserve to be in business.

Comment

Cuts the tongue weight of the bigger boats in half, taking a lot of stress off the rear end of the truck,
                        If you have a tongue weight problem, too little or too much, this is a center of gravity of gravity issue with the placement of how ever many axles there are currently. Too much T/W means the axles are back too far. Too little, means the axles are too far forward. Keep in mind, a 3 axle trailer did not start its life as a 2 axle, then have a 3rd added to accommodate a larger boat or to reduce tongue weight. if so, you need to run far and fast from that trailer manufacture. A 3 axle trailer should begin with the first stroke of the pencil, as a 3 axle.

We could go as far as to argue that a trailer for a direct drive should have an axle placement thats slightly forwards, compared to a trailer for a v-drive. In theory, this would maintain the tongue weight. In reality, it may not result in one having too much or too little, if both boats sat on the same trailer. The T/W of each, could be within a safe level for most any tow vehicle.
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have had an RZX3 w/ a Triple axel, as well as an RZX3 w/ a tandem. The triple towed really well across the country, but the tandem tows better daily, no question. Tongue weight is actually less on the tandem and the trailer is balanced better. Ive put both on the scale, and the difference was substantial, so for a 23ZX i'd have no problem opting for the tandem, even towing behind a well equipped half ton.
                          -Brandon Lucas
                          Houston, Tx

Comment

Tongue weight less on the tandem? That is very surprising, I haven’t weighed my rzx but I know it’s heavy. I’ve got buddies with G’s and with a tandem had 550 tongue weight and cut it down to less than 300 with the triple. And the rzx is a heavier boat so that’s bizarre.

Comment

Here's some scale shots of my Ram 1500 and RZX3. The first picture is with the truck and trailer attached and sitting on a 3 axle scale. The second picture shows the truck sitting on the first two scales and the boat/trailer sitting detached from the truck on the third scale.

Attached, the truck is carrying only 700 pounds of the boat/trailer weight, or 8% as TW. The rear axle then picked up only 240 pounds of front axle weight. I'm happy with all these numbers, except for the overall weight of the trailer/boat at 8600. Over weight for the trailer with just the normal stuff in the boat. Again, make sure your trailer is of the 10k variety.

071.jpg

072.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X