2006 22V dorsey trailer brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2006 22V dorsey trailer brakes

Bought my 22v 3 years ago and the brakes have never worked good if any at all. Its always had the loud clunk when taking off or when stopping. My boat ramp is 100 yards from my boat storage so it hasnt been a priority to mess with. However, now I want to visit other lakes so the time has come to do maintenance.

Since Dorsey is no more, do others know where to find replacement parts and what type of fluid? I’ll start by trying to fill the reservoir and bleeding, but I anticipate it may require new parts.

Also, does anyone have good videos for bleeding boat trailer brakes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did this last fall with my Dorsey trailer after similar symptoms. I have surge style drum brakes on rear axle. I purchased new wheel cylinders and tongue actuator. I know the wheel cylinders came from Shadow Trailers. I think the actuator as well but that was ordered separately.

Comment

[ATTACH]51569[/ATTACH]
      . This should be a pic of the wheel cylinders I ordered
      Attached Files

Comment

These are aluminum the ones I found locally were steel.

Comment

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would flush all the fluids rather than just bleed them if an older trailer, that may be part of your problem. I did that too my trailer this Spring, used utube and watched some videos first....there are a bunch of them. Flushing is basically the same process as bleeding, make sure your fluid reservoir at the tounge does not run low or you suck air into the system. Basically you start at the furthest brake from the master cylinder and work up then when fluid has ben flushed thru them all, go back and bleed again to be sure no air.

Comment

Originally posted by OldeBoy View Post
              I did this last fall with my Dorsey trailer after similar symptoms. I have surge style drum brakes on rear axle. I purchased new wheel cylinders and tongue actuator. I know the wheel cylinders came from Shadow Trailers. I think the actuator as well but that was ordered separately.
              Did you replace the backing plate assemblies, drums, or brake lines? What size backing plates are used on this era Dorsey trailer?

Comment

I am gearing up to do this on my 05 Extreme Trailer with disk surge brakes on an hydraulic actuator and also I am going to try to do an axle and bearing service. I am planning on using this little gem from Harbor freight to bleed the system and replace with new DOT3 fluid so that I don't have to spend hours manually engaging the actuator to push the old fluid out and new fluid down the lines. I also have the "clunk" on take off and am hoping this will fix it. I read that when we do this we want the trailer tongue as close to the ground as possible so jack it all the way down. This allows for an up hill run from the actuator to the trailer brakes and makes it easier for any air in the system to purge out by pushing it up hill.

https://www.harborfreight.com/Brake-...Kit-63391.html

Comment

Working...
                X