Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I Replace Tires Before a Road Trip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I Replace Tires Before a Road Trip?

I have a tandem-axle for my 2015 R20. Three of the four tires are original on the trailer (also 2015) and I replaced one due to a flat in late 2015. I'm about to take her up north for the week … 1,500 miles round trip with kids. The trailer lives in a garage … it's only left outside when it's at the shop getting winterized, etc. Otherwise trailer is always in a barn and I don't see any sign of dry rot, etc, but I know most suggest 5-6 years on trailer tires. So …. is it prudent to replace all four tires before the family road trip since I'm probably due anyway in the next year or so ... or am I just tossing cash out the window?

I have a spare and a jack. Spare is also five years old and stored with the trailer.

Find the date code on the tire and see how old they truly are.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Good advice. So how old is too old not to replace before the trip?

Love the 1,000 lbs sacks you hooked me up with a few years ago by the way. Those with a Mission Delta have been a fantastic upgrade!

Comment

** Correction … boat and trailer are 2014, not 2015 … might have just answered my own question!!

Comment

If you at least have a spare you could possibly afford to wait. Check tire pressure and make sure the lugs are torqued down. After having a wheel shear off last year and losing a Vault center cap this year I now carry a spare wheel, spare rotor, and a spare vault cap. I always say it's a matter of when, not if. Also, make sure you have all the tools you would need with you. I carry my large half inch torque bar, my full socket set, and some other miscellaneous tools with me every time I tow on larger trips.

Comment

I just returned from Lake Of the Ozarks this last friday back to Texas, 4 year old tires, two blow outs, Z3 and not extra weight in the boat. My simple reply would be HELL YES if you are going long distance, $300 is minor to 100 degrees on the side of the road and getting replacement tires. I had one spare, will travel long distance in future with two for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by GregVH View Post
              I just returned from Lake Of the Ozarks this last friday back to Texas, 4 year old tires, two blow outs, Z3 and not extra weight in the boat. My simple reply would be HELL YES if you are going long distance, $300 is minor to 100 degrees on the side of the road and getting replacement tires. I had one spare, will travel long distance in future with two for sure.
              What a nightmare … you're either a very good tires salesman or in need of a cold beer … appreciate the info very much!

Comment

Were the 2 blow outs on the same side or same axial or....?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with GregVH -- replace them. I had a flat recently on what appeared to be solid 5.5 year old tires in the middle of no where -- could have probably replaced all 4 with what I had to pay for roadside assistance + the tire. Oh, and I went with a 6-ply replacement over the standard 4-ply.

Comment

I am on the replace them side. The damage from a blown tire can be minor to catastrophic. Your one spare won't help if more than one tire lets loose.
                    Last year we had one tire go bad on our trip to the lake. I replaced the tire with the spare. When we got to the city near the lake, my wife suggested I replace the bad tire with a new one at the only tire store in Page AZ. Walmart. They didn't have enough to replace them all. Good thing I listened to her, because on the way home a different tire blew out and did damage to the fender. We used the new spare from Walmart. Replaced all 4 when I got home and still have the Walmart tire as the spare. It felt like 200 degrees out tn the desert when we had to replace them. We were very fortunate they happened in a place we were safely off the road.
                    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Tires rot from the inside out. So it can be hard to tell how good they are. Go by the date code. At 5 years they should be replaced no matter how many miles on them. I also carry a second spare for the longer trips.

Comment

Yeah, I think that set was their 4th season.
                        Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post
                          Were the 2 blow outs on the same side or same axial or....?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Same side, right front first, belts of the tire flew off, no damage to fender, and 200 miles later the right rear blew out and it damaged the fender. I visually inspected the tires before going, never have boat on trailer normally, since its on a lift at the lake house, when I leave the trailer in storage I lift the trailer up so the tires never have weight on them. So even going thru the extra steps that I do, didn't matter, they looked brand new but were four years old. No one's fault but mine, should have spend the 250$ +/- and been smart.

So guess what I have now........... New tires!!!!
                          Last edited by GregVH; 07-29-2019, 11:52 PM.

Comment

2 most common causes of blowouts are dry rot tires and under-inflation. Like Chpthrill says, check the date code on the tire to see how old they really are, I bet they were 1-2 years old when they were put on the trailer.

Also check the load rating on the tire, I went with a load rating with a comfortable buffer between the weight of my boat and trailer and the tires. My original tires were just barely at the limit.
                            2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                            2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Great advice all around … appreciate it very much. Just got a call from Good Year that my trailer (and spare) are all set with new tires. They're stamped the 23rd week of 2019, so early June. I think it helped that I told the guys at Good Year up front that I didn't want anything more than a few months old, and they made a point to tell me the date when they called just now. I went with an 8-ply tired with a D load range. Spent a few more bucks but I'm loaded for bear!

Went back and looked at the original tires. They were dated early 2013 on my 2014 trailer. I typically pull my boat less than 100 miles/year, but I'm still surprised I didn't have a problem before now. My boat sits on a lift all summer but on the trailer in storage for the remainder of the year.

Comment

Working...
                              X