Will it work? 2007 Tige 22ve on a 06 Mastercraft X-star Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will it work? 2007 Tige 22ve on a 06 Mastercraft X-star Trailer

Just bought my first V-drive (Tige 22ve) but it needs a new trailer as the previous trailer was a victim of salt water. I have been having trouble finding a matching trailer and custom ones are $6k+ from Magnum Trailers which is out of my budget. I have found a good deal on a 2006 mastercraft Xstar Trailer and am trying to figure out if it'll work. The trailer is 2.5 hours away so want to make sure that it should work before I make the drive and buy it. Has anyone had experience with trying a mastercraft trailer for a Tige 22ve?

Thanks!

Originally posted by TexasTom View Post
    Just bought my first V-drive (Tige 22ve) but it needs a new trailer as the previous trailer was a victim of salt water. I have been having trouble finding a matching trailer and custom ones are $6k+ from Magnum Trailers which is out of my budget. I have found a good deal on a 2006 mastercraft Xstar Trailer and am trying to figure out if it'll work. The trailer is 2.5 hours away so want to make sure that it should work before I make the drive and buy it. Has anyone had experience with trying a mastercraft trailer for a Tige 22ve?

Thanks!
    Somewhat depends on what year xstar, but regardless Id say it would only work after being modified. Xstar is a 23' boat. Newer xstars are a much deeper keel line especially up front and bunks are arranged for that.

So in short, Id bet that it could work, but only after some modification. Just a guess tho.

EDIT: Just saw this was your first post. Welcome to the Forum and the Tige Fam. Good luck on the trailer hunt!!
    Last edited by freeheel4life; 04-10-2019, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
      Somewhat depends on what year xstar, but regardless Id say it would only work after being modified. Xstar is a 23' boat. Newer xstars are a much deeper keel line especially up front and bunks are arranged for that.

So in short, Id bet that it could work, but only after some modification. Just a guess tho.

EDIT: Just saw this was your first post. Welcome to the Forum and the Tige Fam. Good luck on the trailer hunt!!

Thank you! I did a lot of research on here before buying my Tige and have continued to use the forum as I perform maintenance and dial in my ballast.

The trailer was for a 2006 X-star. I figured it would be a guessing game but was hoping someone may have had experience using different trailers before I take this on. Im going to call my locally trailer shop and see if they could modify a trailer for me.

Comment

It should not cost toooooooooo much to have the bunks moved around to fit, but I can't see it being an easy job. I'd get in touch with a local boat shop and ask if they can do that kind of mod. Or if they know of anyone that can. It would require lifting the boat to just above the trailer while rearranging the bunks. If you can buy it cheap enough it might be worth the effort.

Comment

It’s not just the bunks that will have to be moved. There’s also the issue of getting the tongue weight correct. That can easily be achieved by moving the winch stand so long as it’s adjustable far enough back. Doubtful. However, if it’s welded on you’ll more than likely be way too heavy up front. Then you’ll need to cut it off and remount or find some way to modify the bow roller mount. If you don’t, it’s going to cause issues that need to be addressed. Next option would be moving the axels to get it corrected. Then the fenders/steps need to be cut off and moved. You’ll be left with a bunch of extra trailer sticking out. That could cause clearance issue at the prop guard and anything hanging off the edge of the transom. Then you’d probably want to paint it.
          You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Nickypoo and Unstuck are both correct. Id just chop the winch pedastle and move it, and if you wanted to shorten the tongue after Fulton makes a super slick swing tongue kit thats basically bolt on. They have different sizes for different box tube sizes as well.

https://www.etrailer.com/Folding-Ton...BoCtX8QAvD_BwE

If you have any local welding/fab shops that have the ability to lift the boat then they can probably handle the work as well. Its not rocket science and it seems like most the welders I know have built a trailer or two before so they might have some experience.

Comment

^^^That’s pretty trick. That would be the way to go.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
                ^^^That’s pretty trick. That would be the way to go.
                Ya thats a mod weve done after the fact that guys need for getting it in the garage. You can chop back to damn near the wishbone.

For TexasTom, the main challenge with all the above would be getting your boat onto the unmodded trailer safely and getting it the shop of your choice. Maybe you get lucky and someone in your area has a 22ve trailer to loan/rent briefly to facilitate, or just get your boat onto it and bring lots of extra straps

We saw a little Mariah sterndrive getting hauled on a huge triple while we were on the road in NC so anything is possible.
                Last edited by freeheel4life; 04-11-2019, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Thank you for all the replies and great info. I have the current trailer that is still road worthy and Im using it but is beyond repair and will need to be replaced sooner then later. I store my boat 7 miles from the lake and its a smooth drive back and forth.

The bow stop and bunks on the Mastercraft trailer are welded and not adjustable. The bowstop could only be moved back about 6 inches at most with the current length of the tongue. I talked to a couple welding shops and they were saying it's something they've done and costs can vary between $700-$2k+ depending on how much adjustment is needed. They told me I'd bring both trailers in with the boat on the old one and then they'd match the bunks. He is asking $1500 for the trailer but he doesnt have paperwork for it which in Texas is required to be legal so I may wait for a different one to modify.

Comment

Working...
                  X