No announcement yet.

How are your bunks secured?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like they were bent backing up. I use Stainless Carriage bolts countersunk into the wood, Lowes carries them so easy to find. I like the look of the elevator bolts though, lot larger head

trailer.jpg

Comment

If you kook at the pic with the dog in the background you can see the box beam is mangled where welds to the main frame. so when you said nothing bent. I thought OH....OK he is messing with us.

Comment

My bet is that they went bent while backing down a ramp with a big break over angle or a tow vehicle had the ball too low while backing down the ramp. I don't think there is a single bad weld on my Magnum trailer.

Comment

Looks like maybe a washed out ramp with a big drop off that maybe it fell on. I don't see how you miss the other members and hit that one otherwise.
          Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Holy jackedupness! That’s wild.

I thru bolted all my new bunks.
            You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Originally posted by gumby View Post
              If you kook at the pic with the dog in the background you can see the box beam is mangled where welds to the main frame. so when you said nothing bent. I thought OH....OK he is messing with us.
              When asked earlier if these were bent I honestly just brushed it off. I can only think of one time the trailer has been put in the water without me. That was on our private concrete ramp.

Originally posted by h2o-ski View Post
              My bet is that they went bent while backing down a ramp with a big break over angle or a tow vehicle had the ball too low while backing down the ramp. I don't think there is a single bad weld on my Magnum trailer.
              Man I have no idea. I can’t think of one time I have even felt a good amount of resistance on the trailer. Absolutely never at another public ramp. But our private ramp has been dry for some time. I guess it’s possible it for stuck on something and I just didn’t feel it. The 6.7 f350 is pretty powerful. I may have just not felt it. But honestly that still seems very unlikely.

No knocks on magnum at all. Earlier I just meant I’m not sure I’m a huge fan of their boat trailers overall look compared to some other brands.

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
              Wow! I wouldn’t think that boat would be bow heavy enough to cause those two crossmembers to bend. Only other thing i can think of is it got backed it into something (HARD). I’m guessing you’d have heard an awful sound as soon as the first one hit. (Kinda like Ben Stiller in Something about Mary. How’d you get the zipper all the way to the top?! LOL)
              Let us know how this mystery pans out. That’s wild.
              LOL at something about Mary quote.

I have definitely never rammed the trailer into anything. I’m always very slow once it touches water wherever I am.

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
              After looking at the pictures once again I’m gonna guess the bunk boards were mounted after the front cross beams became mangled. My reason for saying this, look at the back mounts, they all look good and they’re at the end of the bunk board. If you were to straighten the front cross member out the mounts would not be on the bunk board...
              You really think that’s a possibility? This was supposed to be a brand new trailer when I bought the boat. I’m going to have to dig for an old picture of the trailer. Surely I have one.

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
              That's some pretty flimsy angle iron. I think I'd just take a come along or ratchet strap from those two bent crossmembers to the axle and pull them back to straight. Hopefully once they are straight again you can find some fresh wood on the bunks to sink new lags into.

The real question here is how did this even happen? How do you get your trailer into a position that it would catch on something tall enough to hit those crossmembers, but not hit your axles? Mind blown!
              I’m going to take it up the road to Magnum and see what they have to say. I’m stumped on how it happened though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              BABz - babzusa.com
              Austin, TX

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutATX View Post
                No knocks on magnum at all. Earlier I just meant I’m not sure I’m a huge fan of their boat trailers overall look compared to some other brands.
                My trailer is solid even without the boat on it. It moves as one unit unlike a lot of trailers I have dealt with in the past. Though with that said there are some oversights that I have on mine. Missed areas of paint, chipping paint are the small things. The biggest nuisance is that the bunks are not centered over the centerline of the trailer. The boat is shifted an 1" to starboard

Comment

Boatmate makes great tow boat trailers and other deeper V hulls like Regal, but ask them to build you a pontoon trailer and they dont nail it. We get all our toon trailers from VM Trailers now.

Comment

Well, finally got a chance to take a look at this today and get it over to magnum trailer. The owner and another guy took quite awhile looking it over. They seemed pretty stumped. After thinking about this more, the only explanation I can come up with is the twisted cross member got stuck on a boulder or something else on the water. That’s about all I got. Either way, I’m glad I (or you guys) caught this before something horrible happened. You can see from the pics these were pretty close to going.

These guys up at Magnum said I might consider making a claim on insurance. So sounds like this won’t be a cheap fix.

BABz - babzusa.com
                    Austin, TX

Comment

Seems to me that a welder would be able to either cut those off and tack them into place and re weld with additional support or get them bent back into place and re weld with additional support. Either way youre probably looking at $3-500 at least to fix. You may be better off paying your insurance deductible and getting a new trailer if that’s a possibility.

Comment

Did you happen to drop it in off the end of a boat ramp when perhaps the lake was real low? At the end of the concrete it can be a pretty good drop. If you did, that would explain why those two are fold over like that. Once the boat is off the trailer, should have a bit more clearance and be able to get back up? How’d you get it back on though? Different lane? When the lake is super low, I go check the end of the ramp. One lane is always better than the rest.
                        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
                          Seems to me that a welder would be able to either cut those off and tack them into place and re weld with additional support or get them bent back into place and re weld with additional support. Either way youre probably looking at $3-500 at least to fix. You may be better off paying your insurance deductible and getting a new trailer if that’s a possibility.
                          From what I could gather, there is possibly more damage than just so twisted crossmembers. The actual frame may be pulled in from the twisting and one of the axles might be bent. Insurance needs a written estimate anyway. So we’ll see what that looks like when it comes back. Trailer deductible is $50, so that seems like a no brainer. If there are several other issues, I would definitely prefer a new trailer. But I guess we’ll see what happens.

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
                          Did you happen to drop it in off the end of a boat ramp when perhaps the lake was real low? At the end of the concrete it can be a pretty good drop. If you did, that would explain why those two are fold over like that. Once the boat is off the trailer, should have a bit more clearance and be able to get back up? How’d you get it back on though? Different lane? When the lake is super low, I go check the end of the ramp. One lane is always better than the rest.
                          We have our own ramp on the property here on Travis. So I have never used another ramp in this lake. Travis is the only lake I’ve ever been to where the water level would be low enough to have this issue. Hell, I can think of a handful of times it’s been to another lake period. All of those times have been on ramps with zero issues.

I think this happened on our home ramp at some point. I just don’t know how or when. Definitely could have happened in the way you explained on our home ramp. Bending these when backing up. Then when pulling back out, the crossmembers were bent up enough to allow clearance to pull out.

BABz - babzusa.com
                          Austin, TX

Comment

I agree it looks like the wheels dropped of the end of a concrete ramp slab with the boat weight still on it. Those ramps get washed out from power loading. Can be a mean drop off with 6K in boat sitting on there.
                            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I didn't realize the newer models are at 6k lbs. I would say it is fine, but just take a quick look at the boat where the forces could have transferred from the trailer to the boat. The bunks have a good amount of surface area, so there should be a small(er) amount of pressure.

Comment

Working...
                              X