Bunk Board Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bunk Board Options

Hi. Looking at options to replace/reuse exsisting wood carpeted 2x4 bunks on 08 extreme 23ft trailer. Do not like the carriage bols as most have spun and now need to cut off. Was wondering if anyone has run an aluminum/steel channel runner for strength and attached a composite/plastic board with or without carpet?
    Thx in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Originally posted by maddog10 View Post
    Hi. Looking at options to replace/reuse exsisting wood carpeted 2x4 bunks on 08 extreme 23ft trailer. Do not like the carriage bols as most have spun and now need to cut off. Was wondering if anyone has run an aluminum/steel channel runner for strength and attached a composite/plastic board with or without carpet?
    Thx in advance.

We had a customer that switched to Trex decking on his own. Boat slid off trailer at the launch and landed on the rudder, also damaged the prop. Can't remember if we did the strut and shaft...

Carpet offers good friction co-efficient. We use pressure treated lumber and stainless lags and washers.

Comment

Thx kindly. I was thinking that might be an issue. I think we will stick with the carpet and new 2x4's for this time.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
        We had a customer that switched to Trex decking on his own. Boat slid off trailer at the launch and landed on the rudder, also damaged the prop. Can't remember if we did the strut and shaft...

Carpet offers good friction co-efficient. We use pressure treated lumber and stainless lags and washers.
        Did he unhook before backing in? I always leave the front hooked... is that a bad idea? I have seen the videos of trucks following the boat in but I thought that was from leaving the back straps on... I normally get the boat back into the water some myself before getting someone else to back me in the last 5 or so ft and unclip then while getting on the boat. However I dont think I would want the boat sitting directly on anything not carpeted anyways...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I always leave mine hooked up till it’s in the water. Pretty sure I need to do my bunks too

Comment

I have redone the bunks- Pressure treated lumber, bunk carpet GLUED with water-proof adhesive and use stainless staples and stainless hardware- it's not a hard job.

Comment

Originally posted by Will5150 View Post
              I have redone the bunks- Pressure treated lumber, bunk carpet GLUED with water-proof adhesive and use stainless staples and stainless hardware- it's not a hard job.
              Just did mine the same way over Memorial Day weekend.

Comment

Is there a way to safely jack the boat up and remove the bunks?

I need to replace my carpet and possibly wood.

Comment

There are ways to lift the boat off the trailer. 2 bottle jacks and a floor jack could do it. I personally would just crawl under and measure my bunks. Pre-build new ones. Get stainless lags, and next time you launch the boat just swap them. Always nice to have a couple C clamps to hold the bunks to the risers and help with any bows or twist in your lumber. Pre drill for the lags or they will just split the new bunks.
                  A lot easier than hassling with it on the trailer IMO

Comment

Working...
                  X