adding an axle to single axle trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adding an axle to single axle trailer

Anyone added an axle to single axle trailer? Is the trailer built differently if its put on one axle. I'm trying to gain an inch of clearance in order to get the boat in the garage without taking the tower apart on my 2011 R20.

Don't think adding an axle would change your height overall height. I have heard of guys lowering their trailers slightly. Otherwise smaller trailer tires would be an option possibly. Also heard of guys letting air out of the tires to put the boat in the garage.

Comment

Get a new trailer. You will have move the existing axle, so think of it as installing 2 new complete axle and suspension setups on a trailer frame
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Plus you will have to do brake lines and add fenders and inside fenders lots of work. Not worth it unless you just have all the stuff sitting around and you need to do something with it.

Comment

You can change the height of the axle depending on what type of axle it is. If it is a torsion axle, you can have a new one made with the hub "clocked" at a different angle. Usually 15 degree increments. If it is a spring, change springs to a pair with less arch. Or change the hanger or shackle, also drop axles are available. Either way you choose, fender issues will probably arise.

Comment

Have you tried putting your hitch down super low? That could easily gain you an inch

Comment

What I missed saying was I’d switch to a smaller tire with dual axles or low profile tire which would drop it. Lots of excellent points on the work it would take. I’m going to try raising the hitch height to see if I can get clearance. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get it close, let the air out, roll it in, air back up? A bit of a pain each time, though less work than re-designing the trailer perhaps? I've done this with lifted jeeps that didn't fit anymore, though it was only when bringing it in the garage for service purposes, not frequent parking.

I've also done the torsion axle adjustment Brianrzr recommended and been able to gain an inch or so on a previous trailer, I had a lot of fender clearance though.

Comment

Or, if you have enough coin, use one of these - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzBOPy4gB1I. I know sometimes the clearance could be adjusted easier with one of these (i.e. on a slope) than using a vehicle. If it's level, then nevermind... although these are still pretty bada** in my opinion.

Comment

True!!

Comment

Working...
                    X