2005 Extreme Trailer - Oil Bath Hub Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2005 Extreme Trailer - Oil Bath Hub Leak

Guys, I am doing all of the maintenance on my 24V and trailer and noticed one of the hubs on the trailer is leaking onto the wheel. I removed the wheel and there was oil everywhere. I cleaned up all the il and I cannot tell where the leak is coming from. In googling and searching the forums it seems these can fail from heat and from sitting overtime but I am not sure about how to replace it. Also, I have disk breaks at all four wheels. I am hoping someone can answer a couple of questions...

1) I assume this is a fairly serious issue? I can imagine if all of the oil leaked out there would be metal on metal contact and my axle might grind/seize?

2) Could the oil could be leaking from the plug? I am going to fill it back up with oil and put some high heat on the threads of the plug to seal it and test. It would be awesome if this is all that needs to be done.

3) Where else could this be leaking from? I don't see any noticeable cracks and I don't see any oil leaking from the back behind the brake rotor?

4) I have read that only the "cap" needs to be replaced or perhaps the whole hub assembly? If the hub assembly needs to be replaced it looks like the hub and brake rotor are all one piece. I can't seem to find this setup for sale online so I am hoping someone can point me to the right parts I need.

IMG_7291.jpg
    IMG_7293.jpg
    IMG_7295.jpg

As always thank you all for your help and support!

-Kyle

They usually leak from the seal on the back of the hub but can leak from around the bearing buddy deal as well. (the chrome cover with the oil on it in the 2nd and 3rd photos) this type of system uses a sealant on the edges of this and the seal in the rear. I just helped a buddy do his. They’re supposed to never require service but that’s not completely true I guess.
    I’m not sure which part you’re talking about heating up but that may actually burn the sealant out and make it worse.

Comment

It’s interesting that an oil bath hub has a bearing buddy on it. Most bearing buddy’s I didn’t think were designed to hold oil. My big trailer has a sealed cap that threads on with o-rings.

Comment

I'm probably wrong but I think it's a vault bearing and their recommended "grease" is not very viscous especially after it heats up. All the oil baths I've seen have a clear window so you can monitor oil level.

Comment

^yep, it looks like that vault deal although I didn’t see the name on the black cap. It’s hybrid oil crap that is more of a grease consistency when cold than turns oily when heated. They’re supposed to be maintenance free. You’ll have to order the grease from Vault, it’s not cheap I’m told. But they can set you up with all the parts to rebuild it. Basically the same procedure as a regular hub except using the sealant on the seal body and the bearing buddy(used for lack of a better term) before you put the buddy on you screw a grease zirk into the spindle and pump it full until you see the grease start coming out from behind the washer, remove the zirk and pop the buddy back on then the cover. Not much to it but need special parts.

My friend contacted Boatmate trailers about the vault hubs but I’m sure Extreme trailers could give you the skinny too.

http://boatmatetrailers.com

https://extremetrailers.com
          Last edited by Jetdriver; 04-21-2018, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys. I actually went to Extreme trailer last week. I didn't realize they were local. I showed the guy the pictures and he said these were oil bath hubs and recommended lucas oil hub oil or something similar. I don't think these are actually called bearing buddies because there is no zerk fitting to add grease?

There is a hex screw plug on the base of each hub. I drained each hub with the trailer cold (been sitting for a week or so) and the liquid that came out was very much like an oil consistency. I re-filled the ones that don't leak with HUB oil and I ended up using high heat silicone to seal up around the front of the cap that is leaking. We will see if that keeps it from leaking.

Hopefully I am not screwing anything up by using hub oil instead of this vault hybrid grease stuff. Again there is no grease fitting or mechanism to "pump" in any grease - only a hex screw plug to fill and drain.

Comment

So did you just turn the servicing hole to the bottom to drain then turn the hub over so it was on top to fill?
              Would you be able to screw a grease zirk into the hole with the hex screw in it?
              Curious as I haven’t seen oil bath hubs that didn’t have either a clear cover or a little inspection window to monitor oil level.
              Hope it works out for ya!

Comment

I think at one time the covers were clear and since 2005 the sun and road grime has oxidized the plastic.

I replaced the oil as you described. I don't believe the diameter of the hole would accept a zirk fitting. It is very small.

Comment

Those are oil bath hubs. After a few years the dirt and sun darkens them. I finally had mine replaced after every year they developed leaks. Went back to grease and bearing buddies. Was always worried driving from mead back to Havasu with one or 2 of them leaking.
                  Let it be!!!

Comment

20180808_085251.jpg
                    Mine is a 2008 Boatmate trailer.
                    Do I just need a new cap, sealant and new oil?
                    I have one on each side leaking. I will do all four this Winter to be safe.

Comment

The newer UFP hubs use the hybrid grease. My older 2007 trailer still used the oil bath. Not sure what year they switched. One of mine leaked all of the oil out last year and fried the bearing. Had to replace the whole thing. They're proud of them.
                      Last edited by crabo227; 03-09-2019, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X