Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought brake controller but not needed with electronic disc brakes???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought brake controller but not needed with electronic disc brakes???

Just got a newer Z1 with electronic disc brakes. I came from an '08 with surge brakes. I bought an expensive RF brake controller but I was told that I don't need one as these newer boatmate trailers have a surge/electronic brake combo. Was told the brake controller will not even do anything and will not engage the brakes or increase the sensitivity. Is this the case?
    Last edited by Frosty_Power; 06-06-2017, 05:29 AM.

Correct, your new trailer has surge brakes not electric brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Frosty_Power View Post
      Just got a newer Z1 with electronic disc brakes. I came from an '08 with surge brakes. I bought an expensive RF brake controller but I was told that I don't need one as these newer boatmate trailers have a surge/electronic brake combo. Was told the brake controller will not even do anything and will not engage the brakes or increase the sensitivity. Is this the case?
      Was told by the nautique dealer that the only "electronic brakes" is on new boat trailers, and that the only thing that is electric about them is that the controller disengages the brake when you go in reverse. I bought my Tige there and did not have the adapter to go from the electronic brake style plug to the 5 pin and was surprised it did not have electronic brakes.

Comment

What you have is an electronic bypass. With surge brakes, if there is pressure on the slide tongue then it applies the brakes, the more pressure the more the brakes are applied with the hydraulic pressure. When backing up, you are applying pressure to the tongue, so it would apply the brakes. The back up lights is what sends power through the 5 wire connection to a solenoid valve that allows the fluid to bypass and not apply pressure. I don't have a picture currently, but if you only have a 4 pin available, you can turn the plug sideways and connect the brake bypass to your running light pin (turn your headlights/running lights on) and because it is now powered your brakes would bypass when backing. Remember to hook it up correctly after.

Some people are opting for electric over hydraulic brakes with the larger boats. In this case you would use your brake controller, it sends a signal to a separate hydraulic unit that adjusts the brakes similar to a trailer with actual electronic brakes.
        "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

I bought a new trailer last year and I asked about the electronic disk brakes and the answer I got back was, water+electric = bad. Made sense to me.

Comment

This is what I will be adding to my trailer soon. It allows similar response as electric brakes while keeping the brakes hydraulic and not trying to submerge electro-magnetic brakes.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...FQsIaQod7wUAlw

Comment

So I have surge hydraulic brakes with electronic bypass, correct? Not electric disc brakes. Thanks all for your responses and help.

Comment

You have surge disc brakes with a reverse solenoid for backing up.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
                  You have surge disc brakes with a reverse solenoid for backing up.
                  Perfect! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X