Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1/2 ton, Camper, and boat... is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/2 ton, Camper, and boat... is it possible?

Hi guys,

Right now I have a 2005 f150 crew cab with the 5.4 engine. I also have an old 22 foot bumper pull trailer that weighs a ton. I'm tired of pulling the trailer out to a lake (an hour drive), just to turn around to drive all the way back to get the boat. It turns what should be an hour drive into a half-day affair.

I'm looking at upgrading the truck so it pulls the boat better. I also want to put a camper in the back so that we don't have to pull a separate trailer. If it wasn't for the camper, I would be looking for a 2013-2015 F150 with the ecoboost. The truck is going to be used as an everyday vehicle, and we only pull the boat probably 10-15 times a year. 3-5 of those trips are going to be with the camper so I don't want to pay big bucks for a big 1 ton diesel when the rest of the time a 1/2 ton would suit me better.

So here are my options. I'm looking at the f150s with ecoboost. Without a camper this truck will pull the boat no problem. My dad has one and it was amazing. As soon as we add a camper to this truck we are in trouble. With the right options, best case scenerio the payload rating is 2400 lbs. It limits us quite a bit to some of the smaller campers, but how big of a deal is it if I were to go over that rating by a few hundred pounds. I would install a better suspension and airbags, but realize that doesn't change the rating. Is there anything legally that I need to keep in mind if I'm over the rating? I'm in Canada, so the laws may be different than the U.S.

The other option would be to go to a 1 ton diesel. I'm not really interested in the gas 3/4 or 1 tons, if I have to go this big I may as well get the good engine. I realize that I could tow whatever I want, and put whatever camper I want in the back. The costs of these things are pretty steep, and my price point would put me into an older unit not to mention the increased maintenance costs. Also, the diesel wouldn't be the best truck as an everyday around town vehicle.

Is there anybody on here that has a 1/2 ton with a camper, AND tows a boat around? If so, how do you like it?
    Last edited by killerbren; 04-02-2017, 02:23 AM.

Just a thought, what about picking up an inexpensive older pickup and put the camper on it? You could then have someone in your party drive that truck. It would also give you a good beater for hauling stuff for home improvement projects...

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Struggled with this concept myself... that's why we're still tent camping. I SO wanted a camper, but I think it'd be way too small for us (family of 5). At most 6 trips camping/boating per year just doesn't seem to warrant investing in a camper that I'd also have pay to store. Someone needs to invent a better, lightweight truck camper that can be removed and have camp set up and be able to have the truck free.

You've got to start with the lightest campers out there and go from there. Likely no slide outs and possibly no bathroom. A glorified tent really. Kinda like Dandy suggested, it might be easier to buy another truck and have someone in your group tow one while you tow the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Dandy View Post
        Just a thought, what about picking up an inexpensive older pickup and put the camper on it? You could then have someone in your party drive that truck. It would also give you a good beater for hauling stuff for home improvement projects...
        We thought of that, with a tweak. We would keep the trailer we have now, or upgrade to a better trailer. Then we would buy an SUV for the Mrs. and she could tow the boat. This is okay, but then we are towing separately making for some boring trips on the road. Also, sometimes if she cant go due to work, I will go camping with friends. In this scenario im back in the same spot as I am now.

Originally posted by GzeroX5 View Post
        Struggled with this concept myself... that's why we're still tent camping. I SO wanted a camper, but I think it'd be way too small for us (family of 5). At most 6 trips camping/boating per year just doesn't seem to warrant investing in a camper that I'd also have pay to store. Someone needs to invent a better, lightweight truck camper that can be removed and have camp set up and be able to have the truck free.
        You've got to start with the lightest campers out there and go from there. Likely no slide outs and possibly no bathroom. A glorified tent really. Kinda like Dandy suggested, it might be easier to buy another truck and have someone in your group tow one while you tow the other.
        There is just the two of us right now, and a couple dogs. We don't really need a whole lot of room. A toilet is a must for the Mrs., a slide would be nice but don't think its possible with a 1/2 ton.

Question right now, can I go a couple hundred pounds over the rated payload weight for 3-5 trips a year? I would upgrade the suspension.

Comment

You can tow it, but can you control it and more importantly stop it? Why not just find a 3/4 diesel with a tow package? That's what I use for the same set up. It's also my daily driver. I also invested in air bags and a really heavy duty hitch set up.
          You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I tow a 26ft Springdale with an 8ft slide that I mainly use for skiing up the hill into the mountains with a 2000 f-150 that has the 5.4L V8. Can't remember the weight of the camper dry(no water in it due to outside temp) but I want to say it is close to 6k. Truck pulls it fine, long uphill grades are definitely tough and are a geared down slow go. That being said, I wouldn't triple anything larger than a 15ft aluminum skiff with a small outboard behind it, and certainly not a comp boat.
            Not sure what Ecoboost tow rating is, and I'm sure there's differences as Ford ran different rear end gear ratios to get more towing capacity in years past. I don't think a 1/2 is going to give you what you want unless you went for a really light pop top trailer camper. If you really want an Ecoboost why not look into a cab over camper, which should be roomy enough for just you, wife and dogs(unless they are both huge) and now you can get it all done in one trip??

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
              I tow a 26ft Springdale with an 8ft slide that I mainly use for skiing up the hill into the mountains with a 2000 f-150 that has the 5.4L V8. Can't remember the weight of the camper dry(no water in it due to outside temp) but I want to say it is close to 6k. Truck pulls it fine, long uphill grades are definitely tough and are a geared down slow go. That being said, I wouldn't triple anything larger than a 15ft aluminum skiff with a small outboard behind it, and certainly not a comp boat.
              Not sure what Ecoboost tow rating is, and I'm sure there's differences as Ford ran different rear end gear ratios to get more towing capacity in years past. I don't think a 1/2 is going to give you what you want unless you went for a really light pop top trailer camper. If you really want an Ecoboost why not look into a cab over camper, which should be roomy enough for just you, wife and dogs(unless they are both huge) and now you can get it all done in one trip??
              Im looking at getting a camper that slides into the back of the truck, and towing the boat. Not looking at a bumper pull or 5th wheel trailer with a boat behind. Question is whether a 1/2 ton will be big enough to have a camper in the box AND pull a boat.

Comment

My bad. Missed that you were looking to go cabover. Idaho allows triples and you'd be surprised how many do it, though it's usually travel trailer with quads or bikes as the triple. From what I've seen the '15 and up Ecoboost can pull an impressive 12k, and can handle a bed payload of 3,300lbs. The math adds up to being possible. I suppose air bags, and possibly a weight distribution hitch to the wishbone of the trailer to try and help with ride height and keeping you from getting tongue low surge brake issue.
                The boss has a 2016 Ecoboost and I used it to tow a 2017 Supra SA to boat show, and I can say it handled it no problem (SA + tandem Boatmate trailer =7k lbs) Definitely the most his rig has ever pulled.
                Tough call though, I'm just the guys that fixes y'all's boats all summer so I can ski all winter. The idea of purchasing a new tow vehicle and new cabover at the same time sounds scary. There's lots of 6.0L Powerstrokes out there for cheap too, LOL

Comment

I would say no. Most 1/2 tons are marginal when it comes to cab overs. Lots of air bags this and rationalization that. Trust me, I really want one. 4 wheel camper looks the best bet but they are still probably min 800 lbs dry before you start throwing junk in the back.

In the end, I got an ARE MX top and love it. I wish they made something like it with a pop up cab over that didn't have all the excess weight of a slide in.

If you are gonna do it, get the lightest 4 wheel camper

Comment

What is pushing you away from the heavy duty gas trucks? You seem to be looking at the top of the half ton and heavy duty lineups, why not look in the middle? We have a 2012 chev 3500 gas and it's a great truck, we have a smaller 5th wheel but have pulled a friends that probably comes in at about 11k dry and it does fine. What about a second veichle that is capable of pulling, like a Durango or older 4Runner? I also see you're in Alberta, what's stopping you from pulling the boat behind a trailer? I would be scared to do it, but it seems popular.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies so far, there's some good points here.

First of all I didn't realize the 2015 ecoboosts had a 3300lb payload rating. I was looking at the 2014's which were only rated to 2400lbs if you had the right package. If I found a reasonably nice camper with a dry weight of 1600lbs, I should be under the rating with water, people, stuff and tongue weight taken into consideration.

When it comes to the diesels, I was looking into the Fords. If I go that route I think I would want to get into the 6.7 engine. I would want to avoid the 6.0 and 6.4 engines if I could as they tend not to have the best reputation. We are able to pull tandem in Alberta, but i'm not sure if I want to pull a boat that heavy and that expensive behind a trailer. Also, we wouldnt be able to do it in BC, which is where we want to take a couple trips every summer. Benefits for a big diesel is the power, the stopping power, and the fuel economy while towing. Cons would be up front cost, maintenance costs, and it might not be the best truck to run around town and to work and back.

Never thought about the heavy duty gassers, that may be worth while to look into.

Comment

Working...
                      X