Towing weight question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towing weight question

I know this has been discussed before but I can't find anything on a 22ve. Has anybody taken a 2006-2008 22ve to the scales fully loaded? Curious how much this thing weighs on the trailer ready to go to the lake. Thanks

I've always wanted to stop at one of the scales but I haven't. Our boats dry are 3982 lbs. Trailer is usually another 1500 lbs I believe. 44 gallons of gas is 378 lbs roughly. gear and such add another couple hundred to be safe.....upwards of 6,000lbs or more.

Comment

That's what I was thinking doing the math but it would be nice to see some actual numbers. Maybe I just need to take it to the scales. Either way heavy boat lol

Comment

My 06 24Ve Full of fuel, with Lead bags, and gear, on a custom sport boat trailer is 8022lbs. Was surprised to find the tongue weight was right at 10% believe it was 820lbs.
        My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Thegerman618 View Post
          My 06 24Ve Full of fuel, with Lead bags, and gear, on a custom sport boat trailer is 8022lbs. Was surprised to find the tongue weight was right at 10% believe it was 820lbs.
          How much weight do you have in lead bags? That's a heavy girl too. What are you towing with? I can't believe they make all of these trailers with a 2" ball. Seems like it should be a 2&5/16ths

Comment

I have 800lbs in lead, I spread equally across the axles. Up until last week I was towing with a 2013 Ford F150 EcoBoost, heavy tow package, 3.73 rear end. I towed the boat and my 12,000lbs tow hauler all over the place with it. Had 75K miles on it and I traded it in on an F250 6.7L Diesel.
            My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Eighty516 View Post
              ... trailers with a 2" ball...
              As long as you have a Class IV hitch, you can get Class IV 2" balls and ball mounts so that the whole setup is good to 10k pounds towing/1k pound tongue (so long as your towing capacity/payload can handle it). The ball mount will probably be solid, instead of hollow.

Comment

I have noticed on my new truck its gat the 2.5" receiver vs the standard 2" receiver. Looked at it under the truck, they don't bolt them to the frame anymore.....there welded to the frame. I understand that some in the past were welded but never from the factory. Anyway, this 2.5" receiver says 14,000lbs Gross not to exceed 1500lbs of tongue weight without weight distribution hitch. Pretty impressive for a F250.

Comment

Originally posted by Thegerman618 View Post
                  I have noticed on my new truck its gat the 2.5" receiver vs the standard 2" receiver. Looked at it under the truck, they don't bolt them to the frame anymore.....there welded to the frame. I understand that some in the past were welded but never from the factory. Anyway, this 2.5" receiver says 14,000lbs Gross not to exceed 1500lbs of tongue weight without weight distribution hitch. Pretty impressive for a F250.
                  It's nice to have the extra capabilities, but it sure is a pain in the *** to get the hitch and the sleeve lined ups with the pin. Are you using a 2.5" hitch too?

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
                    It's nice to have the extra capabilities, but it sure is a pain in the *** to get the hitch and the sleeve lined ups with the pin. Are you using a 2.5" hitch too?
                    We have a 2011 Chev 2500 with a similar hitch set up. I believe it is 14 - 15K rating as well. We use an Anderson hitch rated for 10K, it is a 2" hitch and we have a sleeve for it. We have had no issues getting it all to line up. I don't tow over 10K currently so this allows us to use this hitch on other vehicles if needed vs. a 2.5" hitch. Now if we towed over 10K, it would require a different hitch.
                    "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Originally posted by Dandy View Post
                      We have a 2011 Chev 2500 with a similar hitch set up. I believe it is 14 - 15K rating as well. We use an Anderson hitch rated for 10K, it is a 2" hitch and we have a sleeve for it. We have had no issues getting it all to line up. I don't tow over 10K currently so this allows us to use this hitch on other vehicles if needed vs. a 2.5" hitch. Now if we towed over 10K, it would require a different hitch.
                      Ok it's not that hard but sometimes it gets frustrating. We've got a 2012 3500 Chevy

Comment

We have a 2500 Cummins and it tows the boat just fine. I guess I was just surprised this being my first boat that it was only a 2" ball setup. Most heavier trailers are 2 5/16". I bought the B&W adjustable ball, its rated for 10,000.

Comment

I do need to get airbags for the rear suspension on the truck now though. It has a 3" lift and looks a little squatty in the back with the boat hitched up.

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
                            Ok it's not that hard but sometimes it gets frustrating. We've got a 2012 3500 Chevy
                            I wonder if it has to do with our hitch. I am damn near in love with our Anderson adjustable hitch, we actually have 2, one 6" for the truck and a 4" for the Flex. I am sure for the sleeve, there is a "neck" on the hitch body that it buts up against to align the sleeve and hitch holes.

Another question relative to weighing these boats. How do you go about using the commercial scales? Just pull on or do you have to stop in and register? I also assume that you would go on fully loaded and then drop the trailer and go back on with the TV only? How is hitch weight determined? I drive by a couple truck stops with the CAT scales often and always wondered.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
                            "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Scales vary by brand or by the company supplying it. Some are just one long scale. Dumps use these because they only care about total weight. These aren't as good, but free to use. The Sapp Bros by my work has a nice 3 axle scale. I can weigh two different ways. Pull the boat onto the one big scale designed for trailer axles. Unhitch then pull the truck forward over the steer and drive axle scales. I then walk inside Sapp Bros and get the print out. It tells me the weights on all three scales and total overall weight. So now I know what my truck weighs by adding the first two scales together and the total weight of the boat on the third scale.
                              The other way is leaving the boat hooked up to the truck and once again using all three scales. You just wont know for sure the weight of the boat or the truck. You will just know a total weight.
                              I think it's important to weigh both of these ways. It's good to know the total weight of the truck and boat, it's also good to know how the tongue weight is affecting the trucks drive and steer axles.

It cost $10 each time I weigh at Sapp. So $20 will tell me everything I need to know.

Comment

Working...
                              X