Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short demo of tongue weight vs. tail weight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short demo of tongue weight vs. tail weight.

Not sure how scientific this youtube video demonstration is, but it seemed worth watching.
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

It's cause that's a GT Mustang. No, that's interesting- was the car tied to a string? A model car will just stay on a treadmill like that? Makes sense tho, the trailer's tires are a fulcrum to pull the back end of the car off the ground if you added even more weight to the back of the trailer= no traction/tracking.

Comment

That's pretty fun! I think it had to be tied to a string or the tail weight demonstration would have thrown it off of the treadmill.

Comment

I saw that on IG yesterday. I can see how it's more of an issue with some of these little fishing boats as they weigh next to nothing except the large outboard on the back. Single axle compared to dual also makes quite a difference. Still a good demonstration none the less.

Comment

After a second look, the trailer tires are not set far enough back. The principles are sound, but I can't think of the last trailer I saw that had the axles midway on the trailer. If you set the axles further back, you would have less trailer sway.

Comment

In this example it doesn't matter where the axle is located. The point is, not enough (mostly negative in this case) tongue weight will make a sway just about impossible to recover from. The axles are set back more in our dedicated boat trailers to help give more tongue weight. Smaller direct drive boats tend to have one axle close to the center line of the trailer. These owners need to be careful when loading gear as it is easier to come up light in tongue weight when putting things in behind the motor.

Flat bed car haulers and utility trailers are set back, but still closer to center than our boat trailers. I think most people put too much tongue weight on hitches with these trailers, but it is still easy to come up light. It's asking for trouble.

Comment

Car haulers are bad for this, I have one, and it is easy to do wrong. People usually take too much weight off the front because it squats the pulling vehicle too much, and not enough folks run weight distributing hitches (which most vehicles require for anything over 5,000 lbs) which counteracts the tongue weight problem. Tongue wieght should be 10-15% of load. Hitch companies even make ball scales....

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
              In this example it doesn't matter where the axle is located. The point is, not enough (mostly negative in this case) tongue weight will make a sway just about impossible to recover from. The axles are set back more in our dedicated boat trailers to help give more tongue weight. Smaller direct drive boats tend to have one axle close to the center line of the trailer. These owners need to be careful when loading gear as it is easier to come up light in tongue weight when putting things in behind the motor.

Flat bed car haulers and utility trailers are set back, but still closer to center than our boat trailers. I think most people put too much tongue weight on hitches with these trailers, but it is still easy to come up light. It's asking for trouble.

Comment

Working...
              X