Who tows with an Ecodiesel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who tows with an Ecodiesel?

So that nice Ecoboost truck slipped between my fingers last week. I think I'm ok with that. Yesterday I came across an ecodiesel. I test drove and was very impressed. It just feels so much smaller than my 2500hd gasser/CNG. And the crew cab is huge! It gets 26-27 mpg on freeway trips, which is where I spend most of my time. It has coil spring on the rear axle which I thought was weird and probably too soft.

I asked him if I could do another test drive with my boat attached and take it up our infamus Parleys Canyon (I-80). I went home, grabbed the boat and headed back. When I hooked on to the Eco I thought for shire it would squat way too much with the light coil springs back there. I was wrong. It looked great. I reset the trip MPG calculator just for fun and to get an idea. Then off we went.

Parleys Canyon is about 14 miles to the summit. It goes from about 4000 feet to well over 6000. I think it's 6-8% grade most of the way. So it's a climb.

For comparison, my truck is doing 35-40 close to the top where it is the steepest. My wife's Armada does it at about 45-50. Her trans temp stays right in the middle of the gauge, but I don't know what that means. Her coolant temp is about 3/4 to the hot side. My trucks trans temp on our last pull hit 235*. Too hot for me. The coolant temp didn't get much hotter than normal as I recall.

So on the Eco I set the cruise at 65mph and just let it do its thing. Overall it was much faster in the climb. It held the speed through most of the 6% stuff ok, but lost it on the steepest part at the summit. It dropped to 55 and then it shut off the cruise control by itself. It held that speed though. The hottest the trans got was 206*. (It was 80* outside) I can live with that, no problem. Coming down, still with the cc set at 65, the truck never went faster than 70. And I did very little braking. I thought it held itself very well. Speaking of braking though, I was VERY impressed. It could stop on a dime going down that hill with the boat. With my truck or the Armada i just close my eyes and hope for the best.
    When we got back to my truck to make the switch again, I looked back at the MPG calculator. It said 14.5 mpg for our little trip up and down the hill. My truck gets 14 empty, running flat ground, on the freeway. So I can see we have huge potential here.

I was hoping so much that it would hold 65 up the hill. 55 is much better, but if you haven't driven this section of road before it can get crazy! Keeping up with traffic flow is very important. You have semi's doing 30 and the Park City crew in their 6 figure cars going 80. Then guys towing(like me) in and out of the slow lane trying to dodge everyone while trying to keep some speed up.

Overall the slower, but still faster speed was a great trade off for the benifits of better braking, mileage, and interior room. And it must be ment to be. I got a confirmed buyer on my truck last night as well. So on Monday I should be selling mine and grabbing this one.

Unless you can talk me out of it?

Congrats on the decision to go to RAM! I actually have a Ford Bronco and I had a similar problem as yourself... my truck was performing terribly on any hill as it was 25 years old and just not meant to tow 6K lbs when lifted and all that jazz.. I made it work for a while (6 years). FYI, I have the 2001 2100V Limited and it is every bit of 6K lbs as I had it weighted just the other day.... They're tanks!

I recently did a similar thing except I wasn't waiting on my Bronco to sell as it is near and dear to me and have too much invested in it. Plus paid off a few times.. And I swear people expect you to give $hit away. I get it though.. It is old. Just not willing to part from it maybe!

So I have two friends with great trucks that I was looking at.. a budy that has the ecodiesel.. he loves it... And one with the ecoboost. I pulled up to work with my new Ram 2500 diesel the other day and the other RAM owner was like.. man.. I should have gotten that one. He pulls a 7K load and on flat land no problem.. It is the hills. He gets 26-29 MPGs on the Hwy.. and 20 in town...However, those are in near perfect conditions.. Like no wind.. no hills,, etc.

IMO, If you can spring for the Cummins motor do it! I didn't wanna live in regret when I bought mine and I think I could have been happy with the ecodiesel but I just wanted more power and the ability to pass a few ecoboosts on my way through the Hoover Dam area... I have been watching my buddy pass me (theGerman) for years in his ecoboost. It is a solid truck! But for the price Ford charges and the claimed mileage.. You might as well get the Ram 2500 and the ability to tow 5K lbs more for a similar price and similar mileage. On flat land, my RAM is getting 19-23 MPGs on the hwy and about 15-18 in town...Towing I am getting 14-16 MPGs but have yet to do any long distance towing yet. Still breaking it in. Also, RAM has some killer end of summer discounts and are way more willing to negotiate I feel like. I have always been a FORD guy... But now I love my truck and think that I made the right choice.

Hope that helps brother! See you at the reunion right?!

Comment

I have a 2015 ecoboost f150 and it yards my 2000 21v like a champ... I had a 08 2500 cummins and it pulls it just as good if not better...

Comment

The 2001s unite! Limited Edition too kidsilva.. Awesome.. I rarely meet anyone with the LTD model.... Goo $hit bro! Welcome to the forum.. Put some pics of your boat up in the picture thread!

Comment

I'm trying to figure out how to post pics lol

Comment

I use PhotoBucket and copy and paste image codes.. Sorry to hijack UNSTUCK.. Enjoy the forum brother.. now back to truck talk! LOL

Comment

I bought a new fully loaded big horn edition ecodiesel this year and I'm extremely happy with it. Crew cab (like you mentioned huge), 6.4 foot bed, 4x4, tow package and the 3.92 real axle. Made a trip to Lake Tahoe from southern California and averaged 27mpg. Over 600 mile range on a tank. Haven't towed much yet, just a short trip on relatively flat land and was showing around 19mpg. Going to Havasu late September, so that will be the first real test. I was also looking at the ecoboost as well but the deal on the Ram was too good to pass up. Best of luck with the purchase.

Comment

Here it is. I got it last night. There's way too many buttons and things to play with in this thing. I usually go for simple, and this seems far from it at this point. But it is NICE! 2015, 17k miles and still smells new. I'm pretty happy about it.

021.jpg

023.jpg

Comment

Sick man! Congrats and welcome to the Horn fam! That's cool the mileage these things are getting. Ridiculous! You using that to tow out to the reunion I take it??

Comment

It will be at the reunion, as long as the engine doesn't blow up. (Hope I didn't just jinx myself. I've been reading too much the last few days.)

I'm hoping for 20mpg towing!

Comment

Nice truck that is really good mileage my eco boost doesn't get that but it goes fast and I like that... And yes 2015 pick ups have an array of buttons...

Comment

Working...
                      X