Tips to centre boat on trailer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips to centre boat on trailer.

I have a 2008 RZ2 on an extreme engineering trailer and it never wants to center itself when pulling out of the water. There is only about an inch to inch and a half between boat and fender carpet when centred. Most times when I pull it out its off center and touching the fender carpet on one side. Does anyone have advise on how to get the boat out of the water centred on he trailer? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How deep are you backing the trailer as in how far up/over the fender is the water
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have an 08 RZ4 with an extreme trailer and have the same problem, just a poor trailer design IMO.

Comment

I fought this issue with my last boat. I did 2 things. 1). Don't back the trailer into the water quite so far. This will force the keel to be guided by the bunkers further from the winch. You will need to power load it the last few feet however. 2). Build a spacer template that you can hold between the rub rail and the padded guidepost while the boat is pulled out of the water. It helps when there's a crosswind or cross current too.

To build the template you can trace the contour of the rub rail area - a couple inches above and below the rail should suffice, onto a piece of card board or card stock and then transfer to a piece of plywood and cutout with a jigsaw.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
          How deep are you backing the trailer as in how far up/over the fender is the water
          Usually put the trailer in pretty deep so I don't have to put to much force on the winch. Last two feet or so is tougher winching. Once winched up snug I pull the boat out slow to let the back of the boat settle. Wife drives the boat onto trailer and don't think powering the boat up would be the best idea.

Comment

Originally posted by typack View Post
            Usually put the trailer in pretty deep so I don't have to put to much force on the winch. Last two feet or so is tougher winching. Once winched up snug I pull the boat out slow to let the back of the boat settle. Wife drives the boat onto trailer and don't think powering the boat up would be the best idea.

For us, it's a two part process that's fail proof for the female. I can skip a step but here's what we do.

Boat trailer goes in just deep enough to put the rear bunks under with a foot or so of the front showing. She drives it up softly onto the bunks which in turn keep it square. I latch the front and get it taunt, back the truck up 3 more feet as I don't want the nose to rub on the rubber roller. I winch, she holds the boat center in the rear by sitting on the hatch and holding a pylon. I winch it tight to the eyelit, if deep enough you won't run an inch. I jump in she knows how to keep a little pressure on the pylon, pull out slow as the boat settles on the bunks and away we go.

Prob 3 min max
            Germaine Marine
            "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Friend of mine cut some pool noodles for his Bu and attached them with a few bungees to the guide rollers as a template spacer guide. Then one person can sit on the back holding the boat against the pool noodle and know the spacing will be correct once the boat is pulled out. Works pretty well.

Comment

Wow seems like alot of work. Never powerload. You can damage your boat, trailer, truck, friend etc etc. Also you dig a hole at the base of the ramp and pile up silt and other material in front of it. This is a big problem at a ramp I use alot of people with fishing boat and their outboards powerloading they build a big hill. Unless you have a ramp that drops off deep very quickly this can be a big problem.

Check this video at 3:30

https://www.boat-ed.com/florida/stud...001_700051235/

Comment

Wife and I follow Elevated's process to the T for the last 2 years with our Z3, and has not failed us yet. Get your system down, and its easily repeatable.
                  -Brandon Lucas
                  Houston, Tx

Comment

I am almost exact as elevated however I don't hold the boat. I use the rear straps on the trailer hook them up and give them 2 or 3 clicks tight it holds the boat steady with some down pressure and pull the boat out. Plus its extra security in case the winch breaks on the way out of the water.

Disclaimer...don't get the straps to tight, found out you can literally lift the trailer off the bottom of the ramp and then the whole thing boat and trailer start to drift LOL. Its sounds funny but there is a hell of freak out moment when it happens.
                    My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

Will give these ideas a try. Thanks everyone for responding

Comment

Working...
                      X