Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric Over Hydraulic Upgrade- Anyone Done it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Over Hydraulic Upgrade- Anyone Done it?

I was talking to a local trailer maintenance company about upgrading my boat trailer to electric over hydraulic rather than the standard surge brakes. Because I already have disc breaks all the way around he estimated the upgrade to be about $ 600-800 which isn't too bad in my mind. I'm ultimately looking for better stopping power. I tow quite a bit and the haul to our summer house as some very steep grades both directions. I just feel like my surge breaks wouldn't cut it in a situation where I really need to stop.

Just wondering if anyone else has done it and or experiences before and after as far as results?

Wake9/ Robert did it on the z3 and did a detailed post about it either here or on wake9. If memory serves me right, he loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

http://wake9.com/community/content.p...-Trailer-Works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Thanks for the link

Comment

You will like elect over hyd vs surge. Or even straight elect trailer brakes for that matter. Surge brakes help but its a lot nicer to control the brakes yourself. Plus in an emergency you can give the brakes full power to stop you even faster. The only nice thing about surge brakes is any vehicle can pull the trailer without a brake control box. Course any more most new trucks (and some SUVs) come with one integrated in.

Comment

I am looking to convert my trailer over. I hate the surging and clunking at every stop/start while driving.
            I am looking at the HydraStar Brake Actuators, they offer 1000, 1200, and 1600 psi versions. Does anyone know which would work best? I have a 2016 Tige R22, trailer has disk brakes.
            I saw a video where they upgraded a trailer and used the HydraStar but it didn't give the spec.
            https://www.hydrastarusa.com/products/hydrastar-marine/

Comment

If its really surging and clunking a lot it likely just needs a brake bleed, and would be a whole lot cheaper to try first. If you unplug your harness and try to back over a block it will confirm. If trailer backs right over the block your brakes are in-op and will benefit from a bleed. If they lock up then they are working and you likely wont see a huge improvement by bleeding.

If I had to guess a call or email to hydrastar would net you an answer. Probably have your total wight of boat and trailer as I would bet the pressure is dependent upon that....

Comment

Working...
              X