What's Up With My UFP Brake Away Cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's Up With My UFP Brake Away Cable?

So at the end of our last trip out I noticed that my brake away cable was about a foot longer than normal. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the feral was showing, like the cable had been pulled in a brake away situation. Maybe someone grabbed it and pulled while the trailer was parked away from my truck?

Anyways I followed UFP's instructions for resetting the cable. But when I stick a screwdriver up the hole and pry, while pushing the release, nothing happens. The cable wont retract. So then I jacked up one of the brake wheels assuming to find it locked up, or at least with the brakes applied. I was surprised to see it spin freely. So the cable is pulled, but the brakes are not applied. Then I blocked the wheels still on the ground and used the truck to push on the brake actuator to simulate a braking situation. The wheel still in the air locked up tight.

So here's the take away: The brakes seem to be working properly. The brake away cable is pulled and wont retract. I have no idea what will happen if I towed today and did have a brake away situation.

Any thoughts on all this?

023.jpg

I wouldn't tow like that. Looks like the end has come detached.

Not too hard to take apart.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Comment

It looks like it has gone past the cable guide rod.

you also need to put on a new clip where the ball is on the cable. Right where your finger is.

http://www.ufpnet.com/Portals/0/PDFs...aintenance.pdf

Comment

Working...
      X