Galvanising Project!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galvanising Project!

I've been meaning to write this up for ages, It was last years winter project (14/15)

Since we nearly always boat is salt water it was pretty clear that the trailer was going to be eaten in no time from the inside out :-( the previous owners only used it in fresh water so it was in great condition but that would certainly be short lived!

So we set about getting it galvanised, which obviously means a lot of work, in short take everything apart and try and make it fit back together after everything has gotten thicker!!

as part of the project I welded up a spare wheel holder, and a mount for a hand brake.

So a few of you must be wondering what you do with a boat for a few months if it doesn't live on the water but normally on the trailer!

Well I'm lucky that I do some work in the entertainment industry so have access to lifting equipment and truss so here's what I did...

basically I built a truss box with chain hosts then put legs on and removed the hoists as I didn't want to leave them in a barn for several months as they are super expensive! plus this is pretty secure, how do you steal a boat that is floating in the air!!

unfortunately the barn roof was a bit low so packing was needed as i couldn't get another 0.5M in but needed the height.

The structure as i built it was capable of lifting 2T, limited by the fact the were 0.5T motors, the structure itself could take far more.
    IMAG0452.jpgIMAG0523.jpgIMAG0524.jpgIMAG0527.jpgIMAG0529.jpg

Off to the shot blasters and galvanisers!

IMAG0563.jpgIMAG0566.jpg

and back on the trailer we go!
    IMAG0012.jpgIMAG0084.jpgIMAG0111.jpg

overall it wasn't too expensive to have done, it had to go the the biggest galvanising tank in the UK, which conveniently was one of my nearest!

the least fun bit was drilling the 50+ 10mm holes to vent the hot gasses and let the zinc in when it's dipped every box section and enclosed area needs a vent hole and a drain hole. otherwise it the box section explodes(literally) or doesn't get coated properly.

As expected every hole was too small so needed boring out, the worst bit was where the actuator fits in, as it was the vent for the logn box section it was full of slag and chunks of zinc that I had to file out by hand, this literally took hours!

Really pleased with it, and it should now last forever :-)
    Last edited by ChrisSnow; 06-15-2016, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X