Extreme Trailer Bunks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extreme Trailer Bunks

I have an extreme trailer on my boat and am considering rebunking or recarpeting the bunks. I was teaching my boyfriend how to put the boat on the trailer and he did his first pull on crooked. I heard my boat hit the bunk up in the front really hard but since he was new I didnt get mad, kept it inside lol.

So the carpet on that bunk is totally beat and torn, some is even hanging off. However the wood underneath looks in perfect shape. I got a quote for rebunking the trailer (wood included) for $450 but im wondering where that lies pricewise is that a good price? I recarpeted my dads trailer a while back, had them take their boat off and I sat on shore and did the trailer. Pretty easy job, didnt replace the wood and it looks great. Carpet was inexpensive as well.... the trailer is ten years old on this one so im wondering should I rewood too or is new carpet alright?

Ugh I dont want to do that work again... lol but if it means saving a boatload (lol) then i'll do it.

If the wood looks good and the bolts do, no harm in just recarpeting. I'm not familiar with your trailer, but if the bunks are lag bolted on, you might want to take one or two out and see how rusty they are, just in case. Last time I recarpeted bunks I counter sunk and through bolted them (but I was starting with fresh wood, so that was easy to do).

Comment

I would say just recarpet with stainless steel staples, should be good to go. That should free up some extra cash for something else.
      Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

peck on the wood underneath with a screwdriver. if its solid re-carpet.

Comment

Working...
        X