Boat Security for Multiple Day Trailering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat Security for Multiple Day Trailering

Call me paranoid, but I hate leaving my rig overnight in hotel parking lots for fear of theft. I'm just curious if there is a good solution out there to help. I obviously don't leave expensive stuff in the boat, like boards, but I don't take everything out because of the sheer amount of crap. It wouldn't ruin a vacation, but I could see an unforeseen trip to the store ($) to at least buy all the USGC required stuff to keep legal. I tow with the cover on, which probably keeps most people out, but I don't see a way to lock it up securely. Ideas?

I've also had someone steal just one of my trailer bow rollers in the parking lot while we were out on the lake. Didn't notice until recovering my boat and put a gouge in the bow fiberglass. I wish we wouldn't have to worry about this stuff.

This may seem silly, but wire up a couple of small blinking LED lights. These could be wired into the boat or a spare battery. It is not true security bit would give the perception of a security system (just like the LEDs on a car) and most thieves would probably not know the difference.
    "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

You could install an alarm. Contacts on the hatches and a motion sensor in the cockpit.

Comment

Just thinking out loud.. But what if you left it covered up tight and got a couple of 180* motion sensing battery powered lights?? Not sure how you'd attach them, maybe some zip ties or something, but if you had one on each side of the tower up high, the sudden light would scare way most thieves..

Maybe something like these... They're even magnetic
        http://www.walmart.com/ip/37337631?w...741792&veh=sem
        Last edited by Bryan; 06-06-2016, 02:11 AM.

Comment

when I moved from Idaho to Wisconsin, I had to spend 2 nights in hotel. first night, parked right outside the front door and a $20 got the night guy to watch the boat. second hotel, I parked around back right under the window. figured those staying in the hotel wouldn't touch it and anyone else that might be interested couldn't see it from the road to know it was even there. I did wake up a few times that night to check it out.

I did have mine wrapped in a white cover with the tower folded down so you couldn't see the speakers. thinking that might have made a little bit of difference.
          2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
          2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Working...
          X