Towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
    As for the trailblazer, I agree with chpthrl. Those things can make some serious torque and it is sturdy. I wouldn't hesitate to tow with it on flat terrain.
    totally agree, but bring it to hilly country and it's dead in a week.

ford is extracting over 330hp/300tq from the new 4banger in the focus rs and that's not too far behind the v8 in the f150 and from a cafe standpoint, ford would like the fuel economy of that engine in the truck, but we all know that there's a reason anything doing serious towing comes with, at a minimum, a gas v8/diesel. it's a stout v6 and a solid tranny in that trailblazer, but at home going to the lake towing a 22ve, that trailblazer would be the guy with his flashers on doing 20 up the hill.
    2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
    2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Solution: A cheap beater truck off CraigsList. Can cost less than the trailer you'll haul your boat on. If you don't want to commit a daily driver to towing duty, optimize your DD's for what you want to drive and get a beater truck that looks awful but has a solid drivetrain.

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
        totally agree, but bring it to hilly country and it's dead in a week.

ford is extracting over 330hp/300tq from the new 4banger in the focus rs and that's not too far behind the v8 in the f150 and from a cafe standpoint, ford would like the fuel economy of that engine in the truck, but we all know that there's a reason anything doing serious towing comes with, at a minimum, a gas v8/diesel. it's a stout v6 and a solid tranny in that trailblazer, but at home going to the lake towing a 22ve, that trailblazer would be the guy with his flashers on doing 20 up the hill.
        See, here is where you are incorrect on this topic. A) the 6 cylinder in the TB is an inline 6, not V6 and B) it comes with the same transmission as the V8 real truck you keep touting and C) it comes with the same rear end as that V8 truck you keep plugging is a must. Your statement that an inline 6 with a 4l60E would be dead in a week and a v8 1500 P/U would live forever, is baseless. Inline six's are known to produce some great power. Ford had the 300 ci inline 6 in their trucks for years. It would out tow the 5.0 and hold its own with the 5.8. How many cylinders was the cummins 5.9 that dodge ran for years?

I actually laugh at your use of the words real and serious You forget that you and i own the same boat? Do you know what I do for a living? Ive been towing serious boats for real, since I bought this vehicle new in 02. On another point, whats this flatlander BS? I guess you've never been round these here parts. Nothing flat till you get about 2 hours east toward the coast.

So, based on your educated opinion, I guess a ford ecoboost is a tow truck and would also die in a week.

I think its absolutely hilarious that you have chomped on the TB like a bulldog on a rawhide, when in fact i didnt even actually suggest the OP go and buy one It was simply an example of the size and class of SUV, that one would want to start working from, when looking to tow a boat or heavy utility trailer. I suppose if I had suggested a ford bronco II, you would have been scrambling for the "like" button

To me more on topic, the OP has a boat/trailer thats sub 3K lbs and the TB has a tow capacity of 6800. So explain again how it would be dead in a week?
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by all2matt View Post
          I have a 11dodge Durango rt 5.7hemi. Used it pull our old tige Z1 and now our Nautique G23, get a weight distribution hitch and u should be able to pull most all the tiges available.
          Matt - that is one nice looking G23 as your profile picture Looks to be well cared for!
          "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

My son pulls a 2005 24 v tige with his F150 ecoboost engine. The boat fully loaded with trailer is around 6000 lbs. No problems on 6% grades. Then again he has the big v6 ecobost not the smaller v6 ecoboost which ford also offers. Myself I have the duramax with the Allison transmission and 3.73 gears and I tow Between 7500 and 8000lbs. I also tow the same boat with a motorhome that has the 496 with the Allison transmission. On the 6% grades I'm around 50mph and I do push it. A lot depends on your gear ratios and torque.
            For good towing I suggest that the gear ratio be between 3.55 and 4.10 depending on weight you are towing.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
              Off the top of mu head, I cant think of any rear wheel drive V6 SUVs that are body on frame, can you? Toyo 4-runner maybe? Most anything coming to mind is hardly an SUV but really a smaller cross over thats FWD and uni-body
              4Runner, get a 4runner. If you can find a V-8 (pre-2011) it will tow great. I had a V-8 4Runner and pulled my RZ2 from TX to WA in December. I did the whole trip at about 65 mph and up the steeper mountain grades it stayed at 60 mph and I averaged 12.5 mpg for the entire trip. We only got rid of the 4Runner because we had another kid and ran out of seats.
              2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
              2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Just touch on something that isn't really being discussed too much in this thread, leveling your load. You can hook a boat to anything and drag it down the road. That has nothing to do with a properly set up rig. I see people dragging boats around with all sorts vehicles that are not set up correctly. If the back of your tow vehicle is sagging at all, you are reducing your ability to safely control the load. Think of it as a teeter totter. The further you push the back end down, the higher the front is going to get. That changes the center of gravity and the amount of control the front end has while increasing the load on the rear. Most of your braking comes from the front and obviously all of your steering. Less control = bad. It also puts more load on the front axle of the trailer and its tires and its brakes. This assuming you have a tandem but, why wouldn't you? The vehicle should be level and so should the trailer. That's how they are designed to run. Anything else is improper and unsafe.
                You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Towing

Has anyone looked at the GMC Canyon with the 2.8l Duramax? It is rated at 7700lbs. I just test drove one. It seems like a nice weekend tow vehicle and 25-30 mpg daily driver.
                  https://youtu.be/JGDIwZkLQuI
                  Last edited by mls6722; 03-20-2016, 05:36 AM.

Comment

I've been waiting for this Ike challenge for a while. It looks like it did really well. Seems as if it's gutless in acceleration, but I'm sure there will be chips out shortly to improve that. Highest score they've ever tested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X