Nitrogen in Trailer Tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nitrogen in Trailer Tires?

Is anyone running Nitrogen in their trailer tires? I hear they are supposed to hold pressure better then regular air because Nitrogen is colder and more stable. I guess if you are towing 2-5 Miles down the road to the lake its not a big deal, but for me last year I made 7 trips 400 miles round trip towing with the boat and was constantly stopping to check TP, wonder if nitrogen would solve my problems? I posted about a TPMS system for trailer a while back but I cant justify the money to do it right now so I am hoping nitrogen will be my quick fix till I can get the TPMS purchased.
    My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Nitrogen does hold constant pressure better in varying temperatures... OEM's began using nitrogen when tire pressure monitoring system started to become more popular. It keeps the sensors from throwing dashboard lights on cold mornings when the tires are cold and the air pressure is less. A tire is a tire and if you wanted to run it in your trailer tires, I'm sure it would be fine.. More importantly, why are you so concerned about your tires that you need to stop and check the pressure so often? Are they old or worn out? I'd check the date on them. I think DOT says replace after 7 years old regardless of tread left, but I usually go about 4 years on all my stuff. Anyways, if you've got a good set of tires aired to their proper pressures, you should haven't anything to worry about unless you run over something..

Comment

My guess is thegerman does the CA to Havasu/Mohave/Mead trips. Air temps are really high, pavement is smoking hot, and trailer tires get hotter there than anywhere else I have gone. I worry a lot more on that trip than when I take longer trips to Northern California. It might be all in my head. The other big factor I have heard is driving faster than the tire speed rating. Not sure if thats true or a myth.

I think some guys have had better luck with truck tires....but I have always used trailer tires and I replace around 4 years too.
      Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

I'd say you have a tire problem, not an air problem.

Comment

Stingreye has it right my trips are long in excess of 100 degree air temps and ridiculous pavement temps. I usually drive 62 Mph but have been known to touch 75 down the hills. I keep an air gauge with me and always keep it below max PSI. My tires are 2 years old and basically brand new, the hubs get warm but not hot I can grab and hold them even after a non-stop trip 250 miles. I was hoping the nitrogen would be more stable even in heat.
          My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

What kind of readings are you getting with a gauge when you check during your trips? As long as they all stay around the same pressure you should be fine.. If one spikes or drops, it's got a weak spot.. Tires are gonna fluctuate with those kind of temps, but manufacturers know this and engineer in those tolerances. Any tire in good shape should be able to withstand it, or else there would be a lot more tire related accidents. I really think your ok. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you start to feel a vibration, see a knot in your tread or sidewall, or notice something in a side mirror.. Those things you should check on..

But in the end, if nitrogen gives you more piece of mind on those trips, do it... I think around here it's like $10 a tire

Comment

The problem is you're trying to keep the pressure below max psi. You should check them first thing in the morning and make sure they are at MAX COLD PSI before you get any turns on them. In CA it also helps to keep them out of the sun before you check the pressure. The tire makers anticipate that the tires will heat up and the pressure will increase above the MAX COLD PSI, you do not have to leave any head room for this. I know the drive you are talking about and I know the road temps too, just keep the tires at MAX COLD PSI first thing in the morning, and when you check the tires during the trip, make sure they are all the same pressure. If you have a temperature gun you can shoot the tires with that to make sure they are all the same temp as well. The number 1 thing that WILL make your tires fail on that trip is under inflation. Nitrogen in the tires is not "colder", it is just drier and is affected by temperature swings a little less than regular air, but if you air up in Palmdale you don't have much moisture in the air to worry about
              2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
              2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Thanks Ewok, I will stick with the old compressor air then. I have never had blow out but seen a few catastrophic blow outs at speed and looks super sketchy just trying to stay ahead of problems if possible. Thanks for all the input guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
                  Nitrogen does hold constant pressure better in varying temperatures... OEM's began using nitrogen when tire pressure monitoring system started to become more popular. It keeps the sensors from throwing dashboard lights on cold mornings when the tires are cold and the air pressure is less. A tire is a tire and if you wanted to run it in your trailer tires, I'm sure it would be fine.. More importantly, why are you so concerned about your tires that you need to stop and check the pressure so often? Are they old or worn out? I'd check the date on them. I think DOT says replace after 7 years old regardless of tread left, but I usually go about 4 years on all my stuff. Anyways, if you've got a good set of tires aired to their proper pressures, you should haven't anything to worry about unless you run over something..
                  I'm going to disagree (a bit). The difference in holding temperature as a tire warms up is minimal. If you do the math (air is 78% nitrogen anyway), on a hot drive a tire might go from 32 to 34.2 with nitrogen, vs 32 to 34.8 with air. IMO that doesn't matter at all... and is within the range of accuracy of most tire pressure guages.

The other debate is if 100% N will permeate through the rubber slower than air. The answer is yes, but tests show that air will permeate out about 1psi per month vs 1 psi vs 3 months. I guess if you don't check your tires every 3 months... maybe it's worth paying the money for N.

Not having O2 in the tire might be good if you have steel rims with bare metal exposed as they won't rust inside the tire. My hunch is rust is more of an issue on the rim outside of the tire, plus most cars/trucks are now aluminum.

I'm not aware of any major manufacturer filling with N. The business model wouldn't justify it. Maybe some high end low volume mfg... mostly to be able to advertise it.

So, IMO check your tires before a trip, spend your money elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Thegerman618 View Post
                    Thanks Ewok, I will stick with the old compressor air then. I have never had blow out but seen a few catastrophic blow outs at speed and looks super sketchy just trying to stay ahead of problems if possible. Thanks for all the input guys.
                    When you are ready for new tires I'd look at the Kumho 857. They are load class D in the 14-15" size and pull very well, much better than the load class C tires I had from the factory. The max cold PSI is 65 and I bet they would give you a little better ride along the desert, and piece of mind that they can handle the load, speed and heat you might throw at them.

http://www.kumhousa.com/tire/categor...E-E59335DE416C
                    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Thanks Ewok, hopefully the rediculous drive will be behind me this year. That should be a front door in a few months with a giant RV/boat garage attached in bullhead.image.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X