Wheel Bearings and Brake Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel Bearings and Brake Pads

Thinking I should spend some time this winter going through my trailer's wheel bearings and brakes. Bought it last spring and don't know the history of it.. Question... Are the bearings and brake pads common to all trailers, or does each company use their own specific sizes? Trailer is an '05 Dorsey tandem.. Any other consumable parts I should be looking at..

Nobody? 71 thread views so far and nobody knows about the trailers? I found this page that sells bearing and brakes and drums and kits... I like kits.. How do I know which one I need? Is it only about the bolt pattern? When I look at the bearings only page there's all kinds of choices based on spindles and size etc.. Here you just select your bolt pattern and they come as a package. How do they know what spindle and size and blah blah blah.........

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...rake-kits.aspx

Comment

I use a local trailer shop for all my trailer parts. I just put all new brakes and bearings on my trailer. I just gave them my axle model and they got me the parts. The brake calipers usually have the brand stamped in them too. I like to keep local so it's easy to return parts if I get the wrong stuff plus I get parts same day usually.

Comment

That would be ideal, but I dont really have a local trailer parts place. I've got an autozone, and oriellys, and a mom and pop parts store... That's it for local parts shops

Comment

I had similar questions about the EZ Loader trailer for my 22Ve, I needed brake pads for it a few years back and wasn't able to figure out what type they were by using local sources, trailer supply stores etc. I ended up calling EZ Loader and asked who could best help me with my questions, and they were willing to assist me. The guy I talked to told me that the brake pads were the exact same as what was used on KIA Sephia cars, 97 & 98 Mdy. Went to auto parts store asked them for that pad and it was an exact match. Call Dorsey and see if they can help you.
          I don't want to go to work, take me wake surfing instead!

Comment

Will do, thank you.. I wish they had a parts page online the way boatmate does.. Their online store is pretty extensive

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
              Nobody? 71 thread views so far and nobody knows about the trailers? I found this page that sells bearing and brakes and drums and kits... I like kits.. How do I know which one I need? Is it only about the bolt pattern? When I look at the bearings only page there's all kinds of choices based on spindles and size etc.. Here you just select your bolt pattern and they come as a package. How do they know what spindle and size and blah blah blah.........

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...rake-kits.aspx
              Nobody knows everything about trailers.

Don't make trailer brakes into a career. Buy STAINLESS STEEL Kodiac rotors, calipers, pads, and hubs and be done.

Best investment you'll ever make.

Comment

Rep from Dorsey Canada had no clue when I phoned him about drums brakes on my 2000 trailer, he didnt know they ever made boat trailers. .. . Local mecanic told me they were standard drum brakes. Go with diameter for replacement, should be easy to find.

Envoyé de mon SM-G900W8 en utilisant Tapatalk
                if your not wet and smelling gas, you are not having fun!

Comment

he didnt know they ever made boat trailers.
                  I guess he doesnt know then, that Dorsey stopped making boat trailer about 8 years ago
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Do you have disc brakes or drum brakes?

Comment

Honestly, I haven't even checked yet, but I'm sure they're probly drum. Guess I'm just gonna have to pull a wheel and drum off and see what I'm dealing with. I'm not having any kinda trouble, but I don't want any either.. I had a wheel bearing go on the trailer of my first Tige (pre2100wt) back in '04. Don't want to go through all that again..

Comment

I have worked for some boat trailer companies, many of them are not the best at keeping records. Brake and axle parts can be dependent on who is the manufacurer of the axle is. There is too much liability involved in producing their own axles. There is typically a nameplate located on the axle tube, stamped with model number and mfg date. You can call them for info also. Most boat axles will have some sort of ez lube cap that you can occasionally use a typical grease gun to add more grease. A lot of YouTube videos on how to do. It takes a lot of use to wear out brake pads, look at them first and see how much material is left. Odds are there is plenty left. While the wheel is up in the air, spin it, and feel for anything unusual when compared to the other wheels. They should all feel the same excluding the additional drag of the brak e axle. High end trailers have brakes on both axles, most others have brakes on only one axle to save costs. They are hydualic brakes with steel lines, the lines have a tendency to rust through. The surge brakes should begin to apply evenly as the truck brakes are applied. With little or zero sloppy feel in the actuator. If sloppiness is felt, the system probably needs bled of air, similar as a auto system is bled.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
                          Do you have disc brakes or drum brakes?
                          Drum brakes, mecanical actuator in tongue of trailer

Envoyé de mon SM-G900W8 en utilisant Tapatalk
                          if your not wet and smelling gas, you are not having fun!

Comment

Our tige 24v is on a Sport Boat Trailer (SBT). We went through brakes in about one or two years. They were disk on one axle. Have disc brakes on both axles now and were put on by extreme trailers. After about two years the brake line broke and was replaced. Its been about 10 years since we put the brakes on. Still seem to be ok but Will check this year. Had a sea ray for 20 years, never had wear issue with the drum brakes. It was a Trail Rite Trailer. Replaced cylinder twice in all those years and that was it.

Comment

Just call Pete at 800-635.-1354 To just replace the bearings and races you want to order part # PP3.5K-84-PL . This will be all brgs, races, seals, . Order one for each hub.

The brake shoes are pretty simple as well but a pita to change. Have pete quote you a pair of complete backing plates . Remove hub, remove 4 bolts and nuts and brake line, pull off brake assembly throw in trash. Put new brake assembly on, tighten 4 bolts, attach brake line, put new bearings and seals in hub, put on new hub, torque to 50lbs, loosen back off, re tighten with fingers and insert cotter pin, pump several times of grease into zert, put grease cap back on, put tires back on, bleed brakes and off you go. Trick for bleeding surge brakes, put wheel chock on both sides of wheels ( bricks work well) , put truck in reverse and back up to put pressure on brake system, lock park brake, go release bleeder, re tighten after air escapes, put truck in drive , ease forward until slack is out of actuator, refill reservoir, put truck in reverse , apply pressure slowly, go repeat bleeder release , repeat process until you get nothing but fluid out of both. Dont forget to refill reservoir before each trip in reverse gear. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X