Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

damage to swing tongue near receiver

Posting for "strange" damage, just to share

Picked up the boat from indoor storage today and had unusual damage on the swing tongue just behind the receiver. The facility does all moving in and out of the enclosure. It looks like when hooking up, they overshot the receiver and the ball got jammed up under the tongue. It must have been a hard hit given that it folded the relatively thick metal under the tongue.

I towed it to the dealer today, checking the tongue every 5 minutes for the first 20 minutes and making sure the hubs were not hot from constantly applied brakes. Seat of the pants monitoring says the surge brakes were functioning fine.

For safety, I will probably replace the entire swing tongue. I don't "think" the tongue is compromised but if anything ever happened, I would not forgive myself for not replacing it.

Last edited by Duncan; 10-27-2015, 08:39 PM.

When you say you are replacing parts, you mean the storage company is replacing parts, right?

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
      When you say you are replacing parts, you mean the storage company is replacing parts, right?
      No, I will replace. The storage contract recites no damage liability other than negligent. I am not going to fight over an accident. And I like the owner -- he has always been flexible and super responsive. I know, weird.

Comment

At least it's a fairly cheap and easy fix- still sux though

Comment

Working...
        X