Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trailer Jack with maximum travel distance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer Jack with maximum travel distance?

As you can see from the pictures, I have a 1999 2100V that I have to park on the street in front of my house. The street in front of my house is level; we are not on a hill. Compared with my old boat & trailer, the bow of this boat has always sat ridiculously low to the ground when on the trailer.

Lately I've had some problems with my cover leaking a bit, despite having bought a custom fitted Sunbrella cover just 2 years ago. We had a nasty rainstorm a few weeks ago....I checked on the boat after a couple hours of rain and found (to my horror) that there was more than an inch of standing water in the bow. I jacked the boat up as high as possible and drained all the water out as soon as the rain stopped, then took the cover off to let it dry as much as possible. Obviously, I am going to reseal the cover with a spray that I bought at West Marine, but I'd like to guarantee that if water does get into the boat it quickly goes out the back.

Compared with my old boat & trailer, the bow of this boat has always sat ridiculously low to the ground when on the traileI currently have a Fulton swivel jack with a travel of about 10", and its pretty beat up and in need of replacement. I have temporarily put a couple of bricks (10" total in height) under the swivel jack's front wheel. This is a terribly ghetto, temporary solution. Can anyone recommend a jack to raise the boat off the ground as far as possible without having to bother with bricks under wheels? Ideally I'd like the trailer to be 28" or more off of the ground. I don't really care if the jack has wheels on the bottom, as they're nearly useless with a tandem axle trailer anyways.

OnBricks.jpgTrailerJack.jpg

I considered something like this, but I think the jack is incompatible with the boat....my current jack only has 8 inches of clearance until the top of the jack would hit the bottom of the hull.

ReplacementJack.jpg

If you use the jack you've pictured, can u mount it further forward on the trailer to give the top end the clearance you need? Can't tell if that is a swing tongue trailer or not... Looks like if you could get that thing somewhere up by your bow winch you might have the room

Comment

Its a swivel tongue trailer. Unfortunately even at the very front (right by the winch) that jack would hit the hull.

Comment

With the jack you've pictured.. could those welds not be ground off, the mounting plate moved up, and then welded back? Probly wouldn't take a guy with a grinder and welder 20 minutes.. Only downfall to this would be that now you've got more jack hanging under the trailer during towing... What If you cut off the mount plate and weld this jack to your current swivel mount plate giving yourself the right amount of top clearance? Is your tow vehicle tall enough to allow you to swing down this longer jack?

Comment

Check with trailer supply places, farm supply stores like Atwoods or Tractor supply. There are options out there. Some have pins to remove them so ground clearance is not an issue and then they jack very tall. Some have an inner shaft called a drop leg that can be raised and lowered and pinned in place before you even turn the jack handle. See this http://www.easternmarine.com/bulldog...er-jack-195304
          Last edited by Wakeman22; 09-21-2015, 05:58 AM.
          Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Working...
          X