Seized brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seized brakes

Our trailer brakes have seized up and I am hoping to get some diagnostic tips on where to start with a repair. On our last trip to the lake I noticed that the brakes were locking up on reverse. I pulled the hydraulic disconnect that allows us to pull the tongue on the trailer and we were able to back up. When we got home I saw that the wheels had heated up so much that bearing grease had sprayed out on the wheel. Both starboard wheels and the rear port wheel heated up so I guess this corresponds with which brakes locked. Should I start with the master cylinder? Any thoughts?

brake4.jpgbrake3.jpgbrake2.jpgbrake1.jpg

Ugh! I've fought break issues all summer. I'd start with the cylinder. From a lot of my research, it all starts with the fluid and the lines. You might try bleeding the breaks first in case an air bubble is causing the drag, as well, check your fluid level.
    "Charlie don't surf"

Comment

I considered that air might have gotten into the lines given that I take the tongue off with every return to the garage so we can get the boat in without jamming the workbench at the back. Note the style of removable tongue, requires disconnecting the brake line at the master cylinder. If, however, air had found its way into the line then I would expect the brakes to not be working. As it is, the brakes lock up on backing up and aren't letting go completely, in other words they are working too well.

Comment

on My old tige trailer, I had my brakes seize up. come to find out, the brake pad material separated from the backing plate. The material then wedged itself between the rotor and backing plate, causing the brakes to lock up.

Comment

Working...
        X