Need brakes in reverse!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmhatchett View Post
    So basically you already have Hydraulic brakes on at least 2 wheels maybe 4. The surge type hitch would have to be removed or bypassed and a hydraulic actuator installed along with a battery on the trailer for breakaways, also a brake controller for the tow vehicle. Now the thing about EOH is that it is not a brake type that can be properly controlled by any and every electric brake controller. So if you rig up one vehicle to tow the boat and back it down then that will be a thing to think about before buying a new tow vehicle. Most new trucks have built in ability to switch from pure electric brakes to EOH in just a few seconds so that would be another consideration. I would guess having that trailer rigged up for EOH would run $2,000.
    Yep, sounds about right.

I have disc brakes on 4 wheels, and already have a compatible in-cab brake controller.

Truck is old. I keep telling people that I could have bought a new truck to go with my old boat, but a new boat to go with my old truck is way more fun!

Comment

Other Option might be to order yourself a EZ Loader Trailer that is fit for your boat and see if you can sell your trailer to anyone wanting a R20 or RZR that it would match and that might help recoup some of the investment but I doubt this would be super effective. Just throwing ideas out for you

Comment

To bad you already have brakes on all four. My trailer only run surge on the front axle. I could add a set of electric brakes to the rear axle and swap sides so they worked in reverse only. Would be pretty easy and cheap.

Comment

I put electric brakes on my Z3. Too heavy for surge in my opinion.

I saw ragboys video and asked my local trailer shop about it.
          He said he could due electric only for a LOT cheaper than electric/ hydraulic and it would last a lot longer.

No regrets here. And you can use it in reverse.
          Last edited by JohnZ3; 08-19-2015, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnZ3 View Post
            I put electric brakes on my Z3. Too heavy for surge in my opinion.

I saw ragboys video and asked my local trailer shop about it.
            He said he could due electric only for a LOT cheaper and it would last a lot longer.

No regrets here. And you can use it in reverse.
            Thats what I was thinking!!

Comment

Instead of buying new brakes, trailer ect what about just a new tow rig. Is there anywhere on that lake where you can keep the boat in the water? Then you would only have to worry about it a few times a year.

Comment

Roll back down the ramp with the transmission in 1. Wheels will not spin.

Comment

I have put an electric over hydraulic pump on my uncle's trailer for his triple axel trailer and they work great. you can find them cheaper than that particular one, just want to mount it up high to stay dry. You don't want standard electric brakes on a boat trailer due to the fact that you will be submerging them repeatedly, the electric over hydraulic is an easy conversion. I will be converting mine this winter because it is rediculous that my 37ft toy hauler is easier to slow down than my Boat trailer.

Comment

I had this happen on a ramp I used ocasionally. I ended up leaving the truck in drive and using the gas\brakes to control my decent. Yes the weight of the boat would pull the truck downthe ramp with it in drive. I just had to use a little bit of gas to help the truck slow and not skid.

Comment

I have this same issue where our summer house is located. The thing I found that worked the best and didn't require any kind of upgrade was to buy a broom and sweep the ramp although a 200' ramp may take you a while.lol. It's definitely a scary feeling being dragged backwards with the truck wheels sliding.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                        I have this same issue where our summer house is located. The thing I found that worked the best and didn't require any kind of upgrade was to buy a broom and sweep the ramp although a 200' ramp may take you a while.lol. It's definitely a scary feeling being dragged backwards with the truck wheels sliding.
                        Hah! Public boat launch... mostly gravel and some people spin their wheel going up, so it's not going to stay clean

But it's still worth going to this lake. In fact I'm in a great mood because I was there last night

Comment

I hear ya Pace. The one I have to use is pretty steep as well. It's concrete on the ramp but the rest is gravel around it. I'm the only person that ever sweeps the ramp which I do whenever we are up at the house. Mine is also public but doesn't get used a whole lot as for the most part it's a pretty quiet lake. The first day up this year it was pretty badly covered in gravel and I got dragged down...I had also forgot my broom. I went back when we were done.

Comment

What we do at our ramp to prevent people from going in, is get another truck and hook a rope on to the front of either truck so if one starts sliding the other will save it. This isn't a public ramp though.

Comment

Working...
                            X