Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Pressure Monitor Systems

Hey all,

I do a lot of long distance towing with my trailer, (Custom Sport Boat Trailers). Been looking into doing a Tire pressure and Temp monitor system, has anyone ever used these? I found one on Bass Pro that look decent with good reviews and actually affordable. Out here on the west coast and for those familiar with towing on the 15 and 40 either Mohave, Mead, Havasu, Parker it gets HOT. Last trip I aired my tires down in anticipation of heating them up, sure enough 3 hours into the drive check the pressure manually and they 10 PSI over max. Any thoughts advice?
    My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Here is an older article on the subject.
    http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-h...oring-systems/
    Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

I have the orange electronics TPMS, they work very well and they show both temp and pressure. I had them installed when I had new tires put on my trailer.
      2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
      2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

The max inflation pressure is whilst cold. They are designed to cope with extra pressure as they heat up.

Depending on the load you may be risking having an under inflated tyre which is in turn going to heat up more and cause failure.

Set the pressure as per trailer plate when cold and leave it there.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the Orange TPMS. It is great to have pressure and temperature. I agree that tires should be inflated to max pressure cold.

Comment

Thegerman618, the tricky part is getting the tires at the right pressure first thing in the morning before even the desert sun has had a chance to heat them up. I bet you have one, but if you don't an air compressor is a great tool to have at home in the garage. Not a cheap $10.00 special made for bike tires, something made for a shop or one of the portable types that off-roaders use to air their tires up and down when they hit the trail. I got a pretty good one for $55 a few years back that plugs directly onto the battery with alligator clips. I think I picked it up at O'Reilly's. Point is, they are made to take the extra pressure from heating up, but the only way to get a common measurement is by setting the temps cold, before they heat up.
            2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
            2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

thanks for all the replies, I was always under the impression I never wanted to go over the Max tire pressure cold. I will look into the Orange TPMS, and see what that's all about I like to know what the trailer is doing back there besides just checking tire pressure every few hours on the road.

Thanks TeamAllen I will look over the forum I searched the threads, I must have missed that one.
              My life's journey is not ending up looking pretty, its sliding in broadside, used up, worn out, screaming "What a Ride"

Comment

i looked at the orange TPMS, they are just sensors.....how are you monitoring them?

Comment

I think that ewok has this system, which includes a monitor in the tow vehicle to display pressures real-time:

http://www.orange-electronic.com/en/...ofit_p409.html

Looks like they also have a system that can display on an iPhone.

Comment

On a side note, you gotta love the Engrish throughout their website

Comment

Ahahahaaaa, that is the worst translation I have read in a while. Although I do like the system, maybe making the purchase

Comment

Working...
                      X