Axle flip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axle flip

Hey guys I have a 2013 roadrunner trailer that has a hard time clearing the drive way angle. It's got square tube axles that look to be offset at the wheel. Would it be possible to unbolt them and turn them over and bolt them back up to get clearance. If not what would be a good alternative to get the clearance. The prop cage is what hits and digs in to the driveway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

add to your leaf springs. or put heavier duty ones on. I would guess its not torsion or you could flip it. pic would be great to see what you have.
    2011 Tigé RZ4
    www.re-viveupholstery.com

Comment

When I had my trailer for my old boat lifted they added a leaf to give me the extra 2" I was wanting. I had also snapped a leaf in that situation though that was needing to be repaired.

Comment

Originally posted by duderdude1 View Post
        Hey guys I have a 2013 roadrunner trailer that has a hard time clearing the drive way angle. It's got square tube axles that look to be offset at the wheel. Would it be possible to unbolt them and turn them over and bolt them back up to get clearance. If not what would be a good alternative to get the clearance. The prop cage is what hits and digs in to the driveway.

if it is torsion, you can increase the angle of the hub on the axle splines to get some clearance as well. I'm assuming you already tried clearing the driveway apron by driving off the apron at an angle...
        2013 Z3 - Electric blue and black

Comment

I went from a 4 leaf to a 6 leaf spring to gain clearance, the extra leaf gives a little height but the extra load capacity means less sag in the spring, it also means i get less bounce when towing. cost about $100 for 4 springs. I would say I gained between 3 and 4 inches.

Comment

Have you tried pulling the trailer in/out at a slightly off angle, not straight into the driveway? I have a RR trailer too and I have a slight hill going up and it levels out at my garage door. I have to put my boat into the garage at an angle so the front middle cross bar doesn't scrape on the cement at the top.
            2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
            2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Have you added boards to the low part of the drive to reduce the angle? Easy cheap fix. Otherwise adding a leaf or having the ones you have on it redone by a spring shop would be your next alternative. I would be worried to get the boat much taller as it will require you to back in further to load/unload and your center of gravity is higher when towing.

Comment

So yea we have to come at the driveway with an angle using boards to go over the curb. That gets up enough to start getting the boat in and then we have to use 2 more boards stacked on top of each other to clear until the truck is on the driveway. It has helped buying an adjustable hitch to change the angles but still a pain and not need the double stacked boards now. Was hoping for an easier way. Only really need a half inch of lift to clear. We have a really steep driveway. Here are some photos of the axle and spindle.
                uploadfromtaptalk1434592300512.jpg
                uploadfromtaptalk1434592327546.jpg

Comment

Looks like you'd raise everything by 4 inches if you flipped the axles... Probably not what you want for towing or launching.

Check out a suspension shop, as others have mentioned. Adding a leaf is probably the best solution.

Comment

you have several options, from:1" blocks and longer U bolts, taller tires (do you have fender clearance?), taller spring perches, add a leaf spring, mount casters on the back so they take the load on the driveway instead of your prop guard. Is your trailer towing level? Can you get a larger drop hitch? This is not an option if you are already sitting level.

Just a couple I have seen done over the years for situations like yours.

Comment

Thanks guys. I think adding a leaf is our best option. Don't really want the trailer higher then we have too.

Comment

Working...
                      X